Idiot's guide to 12v Starlink (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
for me it gives me unlimited access to the internet, day or night, wherever i am in the UK or Europe (and further afield) when travelling in my motorhome. that gives us the ability to watch tv, internet browse or phone calls over the internet, i can check my house cameras and monitor my home security and home battery system. it also allows whoever I (we) am travelling with to do the same thing. last year we had it set up across three static caravans in France. 6 adults, 2 children, tv's computers, phones etc all able to access at no additional cost (when on site of course). there are other ways to do the same thing, potentially even cheaper, starlink suits me BUT its not for everyone and i certainly wouldnt list it as anywhere near the top of my priority list of things to buy for a motorhome !

at £85 per month it isnt cheap, but good things usually cost ..... and at £3 per day, i think its worth it as i only 'enable' it when travelling. The rest of the time, it sits there looking ever so sad ..... :giggle: i think i had it on line for 3 months last year and it will be probably even less this year !

A lot of people bought the Starlink when it was on offer for £99 - i bought two !!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like the mini is designed to be used in cars. So it'll work on the move. Hopefully it'll be more 12v friendly out of the box?

Well that article confused me.
I understand I have a V2 dish?
1716296013980.png

The new V3 Dish is the one with the kick stand.

What is the V4? I thought they were only just starting to roll out the V3? Did I miss something?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
for those of you thinking of converting to 12v but dont want to cable cut etc perhaps these offer an option?

even cheaper here

you tube video to help ....

i think they were designed for passing through obstructions rather than drilling a hole for the original starlink connector, but they might be able to be repurposed .....?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
for those of you thinking of converting to 12v but dont want to cable cut etc perhaps these offer an option?

even cheaper here

you tube video to help ....

i think they were designed for passing through obstructions rather than drilling a hole for the original starlink connector, but they might be able to be repurposed .....?

I’ve had one, the Dishy end, delivered to home for when we are back. ordered from China for £15…

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
found a very simple explanation of various methods to achieve the conversion .... if nothing else it does explain everything step by step. its not a video, so you can read and digest at your own speed.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
I have now got all the bits to put my 12v conversion together using the Dishy Dualie
I will be assembling together in due course and fitting to van
My only difficulty is finding a decent 12v supply - my battery is under the seat and impossible to get to without seat removal which is beyond me with my back !!
Looking around van I cant seem to find any 12v supply easily accessed - I read somewhere there is contacts behind OS B post cover but have not had a chance to dismantle and look (I have a Carado T447) - The EBL119 Elecrobloc looks too daunting for me to hook up there
I have a couple of cigar lighter sockets in van - would these be suitable for powering ? I have used my 300w inverter in one without issue

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I have now got all the bits to put my 12v conversion together using the Dishy Dualie
I will be assembling together in due course and fitting to van
My only difficulty is finding a decent 12v supply - my battery is under the seat and impossible to get to without seat removal which is beyond me with my back !!
Looking around van I cant seem to find any 12v supply easily accessed - I read somewhere there is contacts behind OS B post cover but have not had a chance to dismantle and look (I have a Carado T447) - The EBL119 Elecrobloc looks too daunting for me to hook up there
I have a couple of cigar lighter sockets in van - would these be suitable for powering ? I have used my 300w inverter in one without issue

Connect a 12v fused supply off the back of socket maybe?

I’m only running a 7.5A fuse on my 12v conversion and it’s been fine for nearly five months now, used daily. That’s for dishy and the TP link router.

Aug 23, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
What do I need to buy and do, to get my electricity hungry 240v Starlink working on a miserly 12v. Thanks
I’ve ordered the Gen3 & a 12v converter within the mounting bracket, far more simple than other solutions, plus neat and tidy.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
I’ve ordered the Gen3 & a 12v converter within the mounting bracket, far more simple than other solutions, plus neat and tidy.

Looks good
I believe the Gen 3 uses standard ethernet wiring so no need for all the conversion kit for the dish cables which makes the conversion to 12v a bit easier - I did read somewhere that the Gen 3 does use more power though which seems odd as there are no motors in the dish ? - Maybe a change of router will reduce this extra power ?
I would like to see the "mini" dish its apparently the size of a macbook pro - I guess it will be a while before its available
Good luck with your hassle free install - A lot simpler

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
still showing 299 for the gen 3 on roam and considering the ease for 12v , gotta be worth a look Jim and ebay the V2?

1716377698364.png

May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
The EBL119 Elecrobloc looks too daunting for me to hook up there
The EBL is a great place to connect and is what I used. You just need to locate a spare feed. On the EBL119 it look like there are plenty of possible options.

EBL119wiring.png

All the "spares" are candidates. The blocks indicated are 5 and 8. The numbers above indicate the pins in the block.
If you check the blocks you should be able to see the pins that are not used. For example if pins 1 and 5 are unoccupied on block 8 then you could use them.

1716382325103.png

Just crimp 2 male pins on to + and - leads and push them into the blocks.
The pins are Mate n Lok like the ones in this listing Mate n Lok (and useful to have).
You can reduce the value of the blade fuse if you wish.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The V3 is power hungry BUT i dont know how that relates when using it as a 12v setup, might just be worth checking before buying if youre specifically looking for a lower power useage, i assume it does have other advantages though ?

Feb 15, 2022
Crieff, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2014
Out of ignorance I had to Google to find out what Starlink is.

I also now know the cost - Blimey !

We get unlimited Gb on the phone in Poland and 3Gb per billing quarter anywhere in EU (and UK) for about £25pcm. That does us for tethering to laptop.

Why do you guys need Starlink? Is it to downstream football and Eastenders or other TV?

I cannot see a need for us to pay that much. And E. Europe does not seem to be covered yet.

Please explain.
The reason for my buying it is that some of the places I travel to do not have a good/any mobile phone signal, this allows internet access whilst away from mobile coverage and it will also (hopefully) allow Wi-Fi calling so that I can still make/receive phone calls. I will also do away with the broadband (only 34mb with no sign of fibre) at home and just use Starlink after buying an extra cable to leave fitted at home.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The reason for my buying it is that some of the places I travel to do not have a good/any mobile phone signal, this allows internet access whilst away from mobile coverage and it will also (hopefully) allow Wi-Fi calling so that I can still make/receive phone calls. I will also do away with the broadband (only 34mb with no sign of fibre) at home and just use Starlink after buying an extra cable to leave fitted at home.

You don’t need to sell it to us lot! 🤪

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
The EBL is a great place to connect and is what I used. You just need to locate a spare feed. On the EBL119 it look like there are plenty of possible options.

View attachment 900139

All the "spares" are candidates. The blocks indicated are 5 and 8. The numbers above indicate the pins in the block.
If you check the blocks you should be able to see the pins that are not used. For example if pins 1 and 5 are unoccupied on block 8 then you could use them.

View attachment 900129
Just crimp 2 male pins on to + and - leads and push them into the blocks.
The pins are Mate n Lok like the ones in this listing Mate n Lok (and useful to have).
You can reduce the value of the blade fuse if you wish.
Thanks for the info. It would seem like the correct way to go
Here is a pic of the mass of wires coming out of my EBL119
1716474843633.jpeg

May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
Here is a pic of the mass of wires coming out of my EBL119
Yes, I can see that could be a bit off-putting! Block 5 looks like a good option though. There seem to be a few empty fuse holders as well. Spare/Reserve2 looks like a possibility.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Yes, I can see that could be a bit off-putting! Block 5 looks like a good option though. There seem to be a few empty fuse holders as well. Spare/Reserve2 looks like a possibility.
Yes. Thanks for the diagram of the blocks and associated fuses. I do not seem to have that or completely missed it in the manual
The mass of wires is worse now as I have solar in block 6 !
I will order some connectors and get the multimeter out and get myself a decent fused feed sorted
Thanks agsin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back