Icad Registration in France - an update (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
"Dog, cat, but also ferret: all these pets must be identified, i.e. registered in the national identification file for domestic carnivores in France. This file is managed by the company I-cad, placed under delegation of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Sovereignty. Find all the information on this legal obligation."
yes if they live there. the pet passport is for travellers & requires no national address in the country in which it is issued.It is for travellers many who are non eu & travel with pets.

Jun 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
I have been reading this and the other various threads on this site about French issued pet passports. I think everyone is over complicating things. This has been my experience.

We are UK resident and have a second home in France. In December 2020 my 2 dogs received their rabies boosters in UK….and these were recorded in their UK issued EU pet passports. Those passports ceased to be valid at the end of 2021. My French vet told me he could replace them with new French issued EU passports. He copied the rabies vax info in to the new passports…he said it was ok as at the time the boosters were given, the UK vet was still technically an EU vet, so conformed to the regulations. I have subsequently used those new passports 8 times to enter France from UK and back again. I have never been questioned on them and no one has ever suggested they were not legal.
I now only have one dog, and she will require her next rabies booster this December…and that will be done by the French vet. He has never mentioned I-cad and is fully aware that we are not resident in France. I think the whole I-cad thing is a red herring….it is my understanding that it is only pertinent if you are taking a dog in to France on a permanent basis. This is not the case for most of us.

My dilemma (and the reason I am reading these blogs) is we are hoping to adopt a rescue dog soon. He will need to start the whole rabies vaccination cycle from scratch, and will not have a pet passport. We are going in our motor home across to France and travelling to Spain and Portugal too, so won’t be near our usual French vet. Will an EU vet issue me a pet passport given he will have received his rabies jab in UK? Any first hand experiences of this?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: maz
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I’m not sure you’re correct in saying” everyone is over complicating things”!
peoples experience of French vets interpretations of rules has certainly caused complications.
I was refused a passport because it’s not allowed, given a passport without a question and my daughter told to register with I-cad and interrogated over the phone re her ( Friends) address in France.
its pot luck!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have been reading this and the other various threads on this site about French issued pet passports. I think everyone is over complicating things. This has been my experience.

We are UK resident and have a second home in France. In December 2020 my 2 dogs received their rabies boosters in UK….and these were recorded in their UK issued EU pet passports. Those passports ceased to be valid at the end of 2021. My French vet told me he could replace them with new French issued EU passports. He copied the rabies vax info in to the new passports…he said it was ok as at the time the boosters were given, the UK vet was still technically an EU vet, so conformed to the regulations. I have subsequently used those new passports 8 times to enter France from UK and back again. I have never been questioned on them and no one has ever suggested they were not legal.
I now only have one dog, and she will require her next rabies booster this December…and that will be done by the French vet. He has never mentioned I-cad and is fully aware that we are not resident in France. I think the whole I-cad thing is a red herring….it is my understanding that it is only pertinent if you are taking a dog in to France on a permanent basis. This is not the case for most of us.

My dilemma (and the reason I am reading these blogs) is we are hoping to adopt a rescue dog soon. He will need to start the whole rabies vaccination cycle from scratch, and will not have a pet passport. We are going in our motor home across to France and travelling to Spain and Portugal too, so won’t be near our usual French vet. Will an EU vet issue me a pet passport given he will have received his rabies jab in UK? Any first hand experiences of this?
You are quite right - the whole I-cad thing is a red herring but not many people actually see that including, apparently, a large number of French vets.

The only part of your post that I would disagree with is highlighted in red. EU Pet Passports can be issued on the basis of rabies vaccination details certified on an AHC, in which case the vet who administered the vaccination is almost certainly not going to be an EU vet.

IMG_3091.jpeg

Portugal will be the easiest country of the three in which to obtain an EU Pet Passport with transferred information. Minxy can provide first-hand information on this.

Jun 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Thanks everyone for replying to me. My husband wondered about getting one in Ireland. I have Irish citizenship but have never been….if we were to travel via Northern Ireland would we need an AHC to enter there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks everyone for replying to me. My husband wondered about getting one in Ireland. I have Irish citizenship but have never been….if we were to travel via Northern Ireland would we need an AHC to enter there?
No AHC needed if going via Northern Ireland route. No checks at all are made. My two gafe Irish pet passports.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Whichever route you choose, the issuing vet may not transfer the rabies information. They are not supposed to enter and sign things that they have not administered themselves. However, it is of no harm to your dog to have a further rabies jab.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back