Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Forgot to drain my water down and later didn’t have time to go do it. So it has been through a good number of frosts even with water in the boiler :eek:

I have the boiler on at full blast now and the pump is not running (y)
Fingers crossed :whistle:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Minus 6 here Wednesday night Andy, don’t think you would have got away with it here, mind you it did get up to 1 deg at midday in the motorhome.
Hope all is ok. :)

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes it’s been that low here too this last week
In fact yesterday morning the pavements were lethal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Always a worry ol' Jack. We place within the camper two plastic bottles half full of water, one a little thinner than the other, even when the mercury drops rapidly the bottles within the camper do not freeze unless there is a very hard frost, very hard indeed. Similar outside the van should you wish to see the difference between inside and outside even without heating. We drain the boiler down but don't panick at the first sign of frost on the grass.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Some of us peg off the boiler dump valve to prevent premature dumping
This is ok if you remember to remove it

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Mine's done like that but because it's broken, wasn't me. For the three or four days light frost we get here doesn't seem worthy of displacing the peg. Still will do though cos I'm a scaredy cat

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Got to be a very hard frost to freeze up pump and interior pipes.Not been that bad around here yet but my van parked in between two buildings and boiler drained .My last van (1996 Autosleeper) boiler leaked and must have frozen boiler cylinder in past(cascade) and swelled boiler it-had to fit new casing.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Yes that's the important bit, remembering to remove it, a mate and his missus left theirs once over winter with a peg and they finished up having to have a new boiler, I just let mine drain if it wants to, that's what it is designed to do, no big deal sticking some more water in and running it through again.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Nearly had a similar thing with the 'outside' shower thats fitted in the garage.
Although everything drained down, forgot it and only just remembered before this cold snap took hold.
Good job, the head, which is a trigger one, was full, as was the hose to it! All drained down now.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have left the heating on at 8 degrees running off the house EHU I can feel the blower it is not warm but certainly not freezing. It is an arctic insulated body with all the tank and lines inside, I hope that it will be OK.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Clearly, you need to protect the boiler and I'd rather do so manually, rather than rely on some other device. Then there is the pump and any taps. I don't go around trying to blow water out (too much trouble, too often) as I assume water in pipework would have room to expand if the temperature did drop low enough for it to freeze.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Clearly, you need to protect the boiler and I'd rather do so manually, rather than rely on some other device. Then there is the pump and any taps. I don't go around trying to blow water out (too much trouble, too often) as I assume water in pipework would have room to expand if the temperature did drop low enough for it to freeze.
Just make sure you leave your taps in the open position in the centre so that both hot and cold are open to prevent the tap itself being cracked from any trapped water freezing up.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Just make sure you leave your taps in the open position in the centre so that both hot and cold are open to prevent the tap itself being cracked from any trapped water freezing up.

A lesson I learned many years ago with a caravan, drained everything down but left the taps closed on the mixer taps and the swan neck nozzle split from arsehole to breakfast.:doh:

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
When I had a caravan, to get the last of the water out of the pipework I would blow up a large balloon and put it on the taps. Not sure if it worked but I never had any problems with split pipes.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
When I had a caravan, to get the last of the water out of the pipework I would blow up a large balloon and put it on the taps. Not sure if it worked but I never had any problems with split pipes.
What a simply brilliant idea to clear out the pipes. Recon to ensure it works well connect the balloon to one tap whilst opening all the other taps in turn. I have previously tried to blow the water out but getting my head into the sink whilst twisting around and pursing my lips trying to make a seal but the only result was 'er indoors nearly had a "little accident" cos she laughed so much and my back doesn't enjoy the contortions I could once do easily. We will always have a balloon near to had ...... would a condom work ....???

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Ha, not a green as I am cabbage looking now eh? don't want to steal your thunder but I've just found an easier way. Disconnect the shower rose and use the flexible shower pipe to blow down

Last edited:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
not as much fun and no balloons or condoms were abused in this operation.

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
I think it helps if you have the right balloon.
20171204_085924.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back