I should have thought faster! (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've been thinking about fitting reversing sensors on our 2013 Autotrail motorhome.
Been having a look around on here for advice \ recommendations on what to go for and on tinterweb for availability and pricing.

Having decided to cancel our forthcoming jaunt to D&G as a result of CV I thought I'd better take the motorhome out of storage for a wee spin to ensure batteries were fully charged having just had to get the airbag ECU reset.:crying:
So, off we go out along the motorway for half an hour or so and same back to storage.

Reversing back into our storage pitch, and given it was earlyish morning with the sun at a low angle (yeh, I know - sun, never in Scotland!) dazzled in the mirrors and reversing camera.
And, you've guessed it! :crying: :swear2:

Panel damage 1a.jpg

Panel damage 2a.jpg

As you can see, I've got the bit that's broken out as well.
Question for the gang is, is it repairable :pray: or is it a new panel?

After trawling about on here for previous posts I was kinda thinking maybe seeing if I could get some ABS pieces (it is ABS or similar and not fibreglass) and MEK and sticking these to the back of the panel over the cracks (full access is available in situ behind the panel). And, maybe, some wet and dry paper to ease off any irregularities left on the face.
What's the thoughts?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Looks a fairly simple repair, but think it will need some sort of extra support at the back to combat vibration.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The way I repaired my plastic fairings after a off with the bike:
Glue the bits together. Sand at the back and add a metal mesh ina fibreglass mix to reinforce it. Fill the missing voids with melted abs. Sand down and spray fill with plasticote few times. Then spray the colour.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I did exactly the same damage on my 2012 Autotrail but I managed to do it on the day I collected it brand new from the dealers.

Autotrail only charged around £90 for the new panel if I remember correctly. (y)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Heck, with the price of replacement bits for a bit of injection moulded plastic, I forsook beauty and elegance and stuck the pieces in with clear "duct tape" and stopped worrying about it. I've now had three "dings" at the rear and the level of duct tape has grown, even to the point of having to tape in a rear light as the mount had broken. Oh yes it did pass its MOT this year. Duct tape 1; MOT 0! Yeeah!!! Beauty contest = 0!!

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Heck, with the price of replacement bits for a bit of injection moulded plastic, I forsook beauty and elegance and stuck the pieces in with clear "duct tape" and stopped worrying about it. I've now had three "dings" at the rear and the level of duct tape has grown, even to the point of having to tape in a rear light as the mount had broken. Oh yes it did pass its MOT this year. Duct tape 1; MOT 0! Yeeah!!! Beauty contest = 0!!
That clear stuff is great. So far I've used it to repair a tear in my puffer jacket ,another's in a waterproof. The latest was to tape my wing mirror back on

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
"Araldite " the broken bit`s back on..... Clean the back and build up with Fibre glass Matting..

Then body fill the outside.... rub down and prime and a few coats of white with a rattle can..

Looks an easy job... (y)
I would do the above and use Gelcoat as the filler. Take your time sanding it smooth to match the existing shape. And you also can buff gelcoaf so no paint!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It may be possible to stick the broken bit back with "Super Glue"...

But not all plastics stick with super glue...

I have found a lot don`t.. :shake: :shake:

And get them "Sensors" fitted quickly... :giggler:

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The way I repaired my plastic fairings after a off with the bike:
Glue the bits together. Sand at the back and add a metal mesh ina fibreglass mix to reinforce it. Fill the missing voids with melted abs. Sand down and spray fill with plasticote few times. Then spray the colour.

"Araldite " the broken bit`s back on..... Clean the back and build up with Fibre glass Matting..
Then body fill the outside.... rub down and prime and a few coats of white with a rattle can..
Looks an easy job... (y)

I had thought about using glass matting and resin but was concerned about it sticking \ bound strength onto ABS. Does this method work?:unsure:

I would do the above and use Gelcoat as the filler. Take your time sanding it smooth to match the existing shape. And you also can buff gelcoaf so no paint!

That was going to be the final step.(y)

It may be possible to stick the broken bit back with "Super Glue"...
But not all plastics stick with super glue...
I have found a lot don`t.. :shake: :shake:
And get them "Sensors" fitted quickly... :giggler:

Not a fan of superglue so discarded that option.
As for the sensors, I blame the wife as she usually walks behind when I'm reversing waving a huge red flag and shouting at the top of her voice "watch oot he's a novice at this caper"!
:RollEyes:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I had thought about using glass matting and resin but was concerned about it sticking \ bound strength onto ABS. Does this method work?:unsure:

As long as you clean the back up from road grime and dust... and rough up with course sand paper..

It will stick... (y)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Read the book, seen the movie and got the tee shirt, I swear the big flower pot moved as I was reversing.

I managed to repair mine with a product called Plastex HERE I was fortunate as the repair was behind an overlap with the centre section so you couldn't see it once done. So may not be suitable for your purposes but all options are helpful.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Read the book, seen the movie and got the tee shirt, I swear the big flower pot moved as I was reversing.

I managed to repair mine with a product called Plastex HERE I was fortunate as the repair was behind an overlap with the centre section so you couldn't see it once done. So may not be suitable for your purposes but all options are helpful.
Thanks Dane. I had seen your previous feedback on other threads and it's an option in the pot (eeeeek no, not flowerpot!) ! Much appreciated. (y)

Deleted User
I’ve got the T shirt as well I’m afraid :notworthy:

I now get SWMBO to watch me back on every reverse, no matter how trivial it appears.

I do get some strange glances from the “best reverser in the world” types, but I haven’t reversed into anything since. (Touching wood here)

as for the repair, as others have said, it looks a straight forward job as you have all the pieces. (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I’ve got the T shirt as well I’m afraid :notworthy:

I now get SWMBO to watch me back on every reverse, no matter how trivial it appears.

I do get some strange glances from the “best reverser in the world” types, but I haven’t reversed into anything since. (Touching wood here)
After 30 odd years in the Fire Brigade, i can say that 90% of FB accidents were due to reversing and not being 'watched back'. We used to insist that no vehicles were reversed without being watched back, but try enforcing it

' i was watching the driver reverse, but i stumbled and fell just at the time the appliance hit the wall' et al

having someone watch you back, who actually cares if you hit something, is by far the safest method !!

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I did exactly the same damage on my 2012 Autotrail but I managed to do it on the day I collected it brand new from the dealers.

Autotrail only charged around £90 for the new panel if I remember correctly. (y)
I'll go with MikeD on that. I did exactly the same in France a few years ago to our Autotrail when a concrete bollard came out of nowhere and attacked me. Same damage same place. Dealer fitted new panel, about £95 from memory. Just had to wait for workshop time.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks an easy repair. I’ve saw Alan repair his and it was much worse than that. Go on give it a go. Good luck

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Have you thought of 'fablon' (sticky back plastic) I needed to hide a similar gash in the rear of a vehicle so headed to B&Q white Is easy to get and in minutes hide the issues cut in carefully on returning to the yard 21 days later the boss looked at the small scuff on the bottom of the vehicle saying 'that's no so bad' it hid the huge football size hole so well he didn't notice it. I still have the remainder of the roll also have black Just in case) Only needed it once.(curvery corner of vehicle, tree branch, lousy banksman marshal) the carpark repair stayed on for 9 months washed every day
I started writing this as MasterB posted

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Looks an easy repair. I’ve saw Alan repair his and it was much worse than that. Go on give it a go. Good luck
Yeh, looks an easy repair when you're watching Alan! Aye right.;)
However, and here's a great plan, when your up in court fighting your case Alan will be at a loose end so he can wander over and I can also watch him making it look easy. Obviously just to confirm you're no tellin porkies!:giggle:
Weather permitting will be giving it a go in the next week or two.
Luck! More like :pray::pray::pray:

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
You could try a hot melt glue gun on it. I believe the high temperature guns (195c) might do the job and weld the pieces together. Might be worth practicing on some similar material first though.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Was thinking about shaping ABS pieces (if that's the way I go) with a heat gun and then glueing these to the back of the panel.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Was thinking about shaping ABS pieces (if that's the way I go) with a heat gun and then glueing these to the back of the panel.

That would work as a reinforcement but I reckon if you line up the pieces carefully and tape in place, then you could hot melt the cracks from behind. There would then be less finishing to do on the face side and it could still be reinforced from the back afterwards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you self repair don’t forget to drill a small hole at the end of each crack/split to stop it spreading any further.
I had seen that on the other threads I was looking at but, a question, will I need to if I'm plating over and beyond the ends of the cracks? Trying to minimise the "damage" to the face of the panel.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I've used this product to repair similar self inflicted damage on an Autotrail. Works really well and sands down to give a good smooth finish.

https://www.amazon.co.uk › Solarez...
Solarez Epoxy Pro Repair Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Take the broken bit to your nearest motor factors who mix car paint and get then to match and make up a spray can. The paint will be one of the Fiat white colours, to cut down on searching. Spray and finish off with a few coats of clear topcoat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back