I see some Steam Enthusiasts on here! (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Yes John that looks like a tandem. I have seen a couple like that over the years so maybe it was a known design from a model engineer supplier or from the ME magazine.
An old guy from our local me club had drawings for a model pump. I was going to borrow them but he lent them to some one and never got them back. He was too trusting having lost a three and four jaw chuck to the same person.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Yes John that looks like a tandem. I have seen a couple like that over the years so maybe it was a known design from a model engineer supplier or from the ME magazine.
An old guy from our local me club had drawings for a model pump. I was going to borrow them but he lent them to some one and never got them back. He was too trusting having lost a three and four jaw chuck to the same person.

It is to a design by the great LBSC. The plans and castings are still available!
John

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Now I remember it. My father had all the ME magaizines from the early days, it was in one of those. The drawings I mentioned were possibly from the ME. They were the old style blue prints as in on blue paper.
The hardest part of building these pumps was drilling the passages for the shuttle valve. The Southworth pump I built was interesting to work out what passage went were.
They must have been good pumps in there day because they were used a lot in marine and railways.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Thats a bit big for my Clayton. For that matter it wouldn’t fit in my workshop.

• Funny
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Rather than improve my keyboard skills I spent the day in the workshop.
I made the boiler bands today: they are stainless steel cable ties and absolutely perfect for the job! The firebox wrapper isn't quite lined up with the boiler wrapper yet: I have to think of a better way of joining them.
My few remaining jobs include marking out and drilling the handrail holes, so I have assembled the thing to facilitate this. I'll use my vernier height gauge for this.
Line the splashers and fit the whistle and I've finished!
DSC00235.JPG

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The Stirling Singles are lovely looking engines in full size. Yours is just as nice looking, well done.
As I said earlier my father had started on a Crampton for a garden railway. They didn’t look as nice as the Sterling’s with the eccentrics on the outside of the driving wheels.
There are castings for the 2-2-2 Sterling. That would be a bit easier to build I suppose.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You have some beautiful and well made models on here. All congratulations. (y). I`ve done some boats myself over the years, including an R-C version of "Brave Borderer" in aluminium. Which got sold to fund an old car! My biggest love was Model Aircraft, Back then it was what was known as "control line!", We competed against each other to cut the streamer! I beat Phil Read (The Motorcycle Racer) on one occasion. Early "Radio" control comprised one control and a sequencing button!. Many years back I "acquired" a 1944 Drummond lathe from being scrapped, with parts missing Which sits somewhat forlorn on the the bench. It is useable for some things but the accuracy is not there, comes in handy at times for things for the Car refurbishment mostly cleaning or (re)making the odd part lately producing custom packing pieces for the body to chassis. Maybe one day, I`ll get round to making it good again?.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Pete, and thanks for the kind words. Like you, I made control line aircraft, but the attrition rate was too high for me so we took to 3.5cc 4x4 cars instead!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Hi Pete, You brought back some interesting memories with mention of control line model aircraft and Phil Read.
We used to fly control line aircraft when I was in the A T C. We flew on the local cricket pitch most Sunday mornings. Most of our aircraft belong to the ATC squadron so digging the prop in to the pitch wasnt so exspensive. One of our instructors had his own aircraft that only he flew.
I remember Phil Read from following the motorcycle racing wen was stationed in Germany as transport for my biker friends camping gear with my MG.
The Sterling is coming on very nicely John. Seeing youre progress promts me into getting more done on the Clayton. I might buy the 35 tubes I need for the boiler next. After that comes a costly bit, the silver solder. A lot less than the amount needed for youre Sterling I should think.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
If anyone wants a tricky paint lining job to occupy themselves then I suggest you try something like this!
These splashers are legendary for spoiling a good engineering job. The little guide on the pen helps...:cool:
John
20200516_173209[1].jpg

20200516_173803[1].jpg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Very neat lining John. I saw a demonstration of using a lining pen at one of the ME shows, it must take a lot of practice and a steady hand.
I am preparing the boiler for the Clayton ready for a boiler building session. I have made a tool to swage the tubes so they dont fall through when I heat the tube plates. It happened to me before. Assembling the parts I have already I though there was something not right.
Both the smoke box and fire box plates are drilled ready for the tubes. The smoke box and fire box plates are flanged and the fire box plate is riveted to the fire box tube.
With the boiler lying on its side on the bench to check what I needed to make the foundation ring. It is 3/8 -1/4 copper bar by the drawing. Then I realised the problem. The fire box tube should be 4" o/d. Mine is 4.25" o/d. I have had this boiler kit on the shelf for a few years and didnt check it when I got it.
I dont think it will be a problem because I can make the foundation ring from 1/4 square bar. It might be easier to bend than 3/8.
When we can travel I am going to have ride to Cup Alloys to see what I need in the way of Silver Solder. I had though of using one heat range. My father and I used easyflow No 2 for the whole of his Altchin with no problems.
Plenty of time to get little bits done before we can move again. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Very neat lining John. I saw a demonstration of using a lining pen at one of the ME shows, it must take a lot of practice and a steady hand.
I am preparing the boiler for the Clayton ready for a boiler building session. I have made a tool to swage the tubes so they dont fall through when I heat the tube plates. It happened to me before. Assembling the parts I have already I though there was something not right.
Both the smoke box and fire box plates are drilled ready for the tubes. The smoke box and fire box plates are flanged and the fire box plate is riveted to the fire box tube.
With the boiler lying on its side on the bench to check what I needed to make the foundation ring. It is 3/8 -1/4 copper bar by the drawing. Then I realised the problem. The fire box tube should be 4" o/d. Mine is 4.25" o/d. I have had this boiler kit on the shelf for a few years and didnt check it when I got it.
I dont think it will be a problem because I can make the foundation ring from 1/4 square bar. It might be easier to bend than 3/8.
When we can travel I am going to have ride to Cup Alloys to see what I need in the way of Silver Solder. I had though of using one heat range. My father and I used easyflow No 2 for the whole of his Altchin with no problems.
Plenty of time to get little bits done before we can move again. Keep up the good work.
I have a quantity of 2mm Easyflo sticks at half price if you want? I bought a job lot years ago.
John

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The offer of the Easyflo is interesting John. I am not sure how much I would need for my boiler. There are 35 3/8 tubes two flanged joints, foundation ring, stoking tube, fire hole ring and eight bushes.
I worked out I needed about 5 lengths but I think that may be a bit short. Your opinion would be appreciated.
Can I contact you to discuss this out of the forum.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The offer of the Easyflo is interesting John. I am not sure how much I would need for my boiler. There are 35 3/8 tubes two flanged joints, foundation ring, stoking tube, fire hole ring and eight bushes.
I worked out I needed about 5 lengths but I think that may be a bit short. Your opinion would be appreciated.
Can I contact you to discuss this out of the forum.
PM me
Joh n

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Er this may seem a bit basic but I havnt worked out the PM bit yet.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have a fence panel arriving on Wednesday so this morning I had a dig in the drawers to find screws etc. It was surprising how much odds and sods I have accumulated. There was a box of M6 coach bolts and washers I bought them when I replaced the wood on the trailer years ago. They will be ok to fasten the new panel to the metal posts.
This afternoon I managed a couple of hours working on the Clayton. I attempted to make the hinge for the fire box door. I didn’t like the end result. The half that fastens to the boiler looks good but the half that fastens to the door needs re-thinking. Rather than folding it I will make it from three pieces tomorrow. It will be good practice for my silver soldering marathon coming up.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A long gone pal of mine worked for Rolls Royce on the Blue Streak rocket project and also built model steam locos (5" gauge Union of South Africa).
I was building a few firetube boilers for the local model boat club and he gave me a roll of silver solder foil, it's probably as old as me ! It didn't get used on the boilers, but it's been invaluable in making up hydraulic fittings for some of my son's obsolete machinery.
I like to make up small rings of 1/16" Easyflo and wrap them around the tube ends, probably a bit wasteful, but does a guaranteed job.
20200519_104143.jpg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
It’s surprising how meany Model Engineers have a link to Rolls Royce and produce some beautiful models. The exacting standards from Rolls Royce training shows in there modelling skills.
One of my fathers school friends trained at Ruston Turbines. Every thing he did was very precise even down to the layout of his garden. Our dog was banned from his lawn.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Running Boards completed.
Red lines and dummy oilers and sanding gear in place. Brakes fitted. I know it's a bit piecemeal but I'm waiting on the paint for the boiler wrapper.
Starting to look how I want it to look!
John

20200519_180410.jpg

20200519_180447[1].jpg

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I haven't spent too much time bellyaching about the Press: much better to produce something nice and positive! It's also worth a great deal of money...:giggle:
John
DSC00280.JPG

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not far off completion John. You should get a good holiday out of youre efforts. It seems a shame to sell it after all you have done.
The fire box door and hinge are finished for the Clayton and look ok by my standards. I milled the hinge from solid in the end. It was interesting sorting out how to hold it. I am part way through making the grate dump lever now.
Trying to work out how best to buy the tubes for the boiler is interesting. Being 4 1/4” long it doesn’t work out to foot lengths. I will have to buy more than I need and put up with a small amount of waste. Best to have enough than be short I suppose.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just treated myself to a set of ER32 collets and a 2MT chuck that will fit both the Myford and the Tom Senior. I'd hummed and ahhd about it for a while as the reviews for some of the affordable offerings were a total lottery regarding quality and run out. I ended up buying a combined set from toolco.co.uk for £85 that arrived today. I kept all the packaging and polystyrene nuggets in case I had to send the whole lot back, but running a tenth clock on them in the lathe was a pleasant surprise. The Myford spindle was running out at just under 3 tenths and this was mirrored with the chuck, then a piece of 12mm silver steel was indicating the same at the chuck and 5 tenths 2 inches out. I predominantly bought it for cutter holding on the mill so may as well put my Pozilok Chuck and Imperial collets on eBay now !

20200611_170850.jpg

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
A good buy. I recent!y bought a ER20 collet chuck without a spindle that I can pop in to my Emco 3_jaw at my leisure. Dead handy to get over the 'bell mouthing' on small stuff!
John

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think I might turn up a small chuck to mount straight onto the Myford spindle so it will have a through hole and minimal overhang. Got a short piece of 2" dia EN8 that will oil harden ok, watch this space !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back