LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Denise dropped her I phone 7 today when she picked it up the screen was flashing and a lot of lines,
Is it worth trying to get it repaired local to us or best send it to Apple ?

The screen has not cracked just gone blank.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I broke the tiny screen on the rear camera on my iPhone 7.

Took it to Apple Store and they can't be repaired easily as the phones waterproof.

Had to px mine for a new phone. £220 cash as well.

If you do find someone who can repair outside Apple, then I'm not sure about the waterproofing etc.

Good luck.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Denise dropped her I phone 7 today when she picked it up the screen was flashing and a lot of lines,
Is it worth trying to get it repaired local to us or best send it to Apple ?

The screen has not cracked just gone blank.

Apple prices in link

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Using original parts

Apple resellers are authorised to repair using apple parts from apple
So no compatability problems :pray:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Apple prices in link

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Using original parts

Apple resellers are authorised to repair using apple parts from apple
So no compatability problems :pray:
So no matter what, a new screen is going to cost as much as a low to middle priced new Android with 12 months warranty and a clean hard drive.

Apple eh..... Only for the diehards and those with more money than sense.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
So no matter what, a new screen is going to cost as much as a low to middle priced new Android with 12 months warranty and a clean hard drive.

Well we did try android but they still broke when dropped.

But being realistic I find Apple so easy to use compared to android, I think both are bad for collating info and bombarding you with shite. Google v apple ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well we did try android but they still broke when dropped.
I agree, my Samsung did that. The plastic back dented and cracked the glass.
So I bought a Huawei with an all aluminium body and gorilla glass.
Now if I drop it it only bounces and still cost around the same as a replacement apple screen. . :xThumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

My wife broke the screen on an iPro laptop and they gave her a new machine FOC. It was 5 years old.

I have to admit though that she is one hell of an Apple customer

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The last Samsung I had went a bit funny and locked up, then advised me to send some money via Tesco or something to unlock the phone.

The message on the phone was a blackmailing type of message so I popped in to the local police station with the phone, they said it must be a virus, no it’s blackmail I said but no interest from them.

The phone was 3 days old when I destroyed it, and went and bought a new I phone.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009

Low to middle price Android, is fine if you are happy to step backwards. Was there any need for the last sentence, probably not....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Low to middle price Android, is fine if you are happy to step backwards. Was there any need for the last sentence, probably not....
Definitely not, but you know what it's like on an iPhone thread.... :xgrin:

Nothing meant by it but a bit of Harmless banter.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Don’t let a non Apple dealer touch it. I had my old iphone 5 screen replaced by a phone repair shop after dropping it. The brightness was less and it soon started to work oddly. Traded it in at the Apple store for a new 8. Assistant said it was becoming common for small shops to remove minor, high value components while fitting a screen, but it takes a week or three for the phone to lose functions. They have discovered this as they now recycle all possible parts using robots apparently. I still got £60 for it!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it was becoming common for small shops to remove minor, high value components while fitting a screen, but it takes a week or three for the phone to lose functions.
I do find that rather hard to believe somehow.
Can't see there being anything which if removed would continue to work for any length of time.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve try Google your phone's symptoms....Bob did it for his I Pad .:xThumb:..it told him to tap the CNR with a hammer,Lisa confirmed it and sure enough it worked :xThumb: Be brave :xgrin:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Only repeating what I was told. Lots of valuable metals etc inside phones of course. She also said every iphone and ipad taken in px from all world stores were now shipped to the US to be dissected by these new robots for both value and environmental reasons. Apple could certainly afford it.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Steve try Google your phone's symptoms....Bob did it for his I Pad .:xThumb:..it told him to tap the CNR with a hammer,Lisa confirmed it and sure enough it worked :xThumb: Be brave :xgrin:
Thanks Terry what is the CNR Do you mean ctr as in center?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Corner Steve ...sounded daft but like I said to him ,its broken so what have you to lose :xsmile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Don’t let a non Apple dealer touch it. I had my old iphone 5 screen replaced by a phone repair shop after dropping it. The brightness was less and it soon started to work oddly. Traded it in at the Apple store for a new 8. Assistant said it was becoming common for small shops to remove minor, high value components while fitting a screen, but it takes a week or three for the phone to lose functions. They have discovered this as they now recycle all possible parts using robots apparently. I still got £60 for it!

Replaced two screens on a 5 for one of our hairdressers, bought of ebay for under £30, needed doing twice as she dropped it two weeks after I did it the first time.:doh:

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Screwfix sell iPhone reset tool.
ae235.jpg

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

How?
Think this is just an Apple excuse for giving you less in part exchange

Wouldn't actually have an iPhone as I dislike apple's business style I don't like being dictated to as to where I get MY music and videos from and if I have something on my computer I don't want to have to pay again

We had great service from the shop in Meadowhell which you can actually stand and watch them do the repairs

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Probably no help to the OP, but Nationwide Flexplus Phone Insurance replaced my iPhone 6s with a new one within 3 days when I got it wet in France this year! That paid for the bank account many times over!

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
How?
Think this is just an Apple excuse for giving you less in part exchange

Wouldn't actually have an iPhone as I dislike apple's business style I don't like being dictated to as to where I get MY music and videos from and if I have something on my computer I don't want to have to pay again

We had great service from the shop in Meadowhell which you can actually stand and watch them do the repairs

Yes, probably rubbish. But if so I don't know why, I received the full trade in allowance for that old phone at the time so not the reason.
It was the shortest lived of my many iPhones. I would not change for another despite the cost difference. Just like I would never go back to a windows computer since getting a Mac in 2000. They were light years ahead back then. Much less so now I guess.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back