I may need t learn a new language (1 Viewer)

Rex Mac

Free Member
Jul 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read what may be a long and tiresome post.

I have a simple question to ask – How on Earth do you manage buy a motorhome?

I have read the guides here and in other locations, but I have yet to find myself in a position to utilise the information they have provided me with.

A little background information for you – We opted to buy a motorhome on my retirement in order to travel around the UK and Ireland. During my working days we were fortunate to have been able to visit many countries and furthermore we were always able to incorporate extended breaks in these places as an extra curricular holiday. We have visited so few places in our own country it seemed quite right to explore a little more at home.

We initially decided to set our budget at 70k ((GBP) inclusive of kitting out) which, to us seemed to be a reasonable starting point.

To date we have visited three dealerships, (I will not name them since they may not have the ability to see this post and as such will have no right of reply.) Here is where I am clearly going wrong.

Dealer #1 – We identified two vehicles of interest from their website. Each on the same chassis but just a slightly different layout. We called and booked an appointment to view both options at an agreed time.

On arrival (at the agreed time) only one of the vehicles was available for viewing. The Salesperson I booked the appointment with was in the building but too busy to see us immediately and would talk to us as soon as he was able to. 45 minutes later we left. The Guy who I booked an appointment with was probably still playing “virtual golf” or some other game and simply couldn't drag himself away from his fun.

Dealer #2 – Once again we identified one vehicle of interest. We booked an appointment to view our chosen chariot.

Guess what? - The guy we booked the appointment with didn't show up. No explanations given, nobody knew where he had gone. It seems he just evaporated and no-one else was interested or even cared that we might be interested in putting some cash into their pockets.

Dealer #3.

As before, appointment booked in advance. We turn up in a timely fashion. The sales guy has gone AWOL and nobody knows when he will be back. The rest of the team really are not interested at all that I might want to buy something.

Obviously, I am clearly lacking in my communication skills. How on earth do you talk with motorhome dealers?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It does appear very difficult to buy motorhomes, and especially during these times. I had a much easier time buying mine from motorhome depot, but understand that isn’t ideal for everyone as it involves more risk. It almost appears that the more money you are willing to spend the more difficult it is.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Are there a selection of dealers in your area that you can drop in on without an appointment? We had an idea of what things we wanted or could compromise on and did a drive round 3 dealerships in close proximity to each other.

If you have an idea of your make/model/layout and spec you can eliminate a lot of fasting around and if the salesforce realise that you have a good idea of what you want and finances are sorted you should get some assistance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Sorry you need to close up the paragraphs.. I gave up reading..
Odd way to post..I didn't make it to the end.
I managed easy enough. I’m reading on an iPad.
How come posters get no complaints when they post a solid multi line block of text but a post that is split into logical sections - all be it with extra spaces - gets pulled up?
Remember rule 1 and what ever # the rule is about tolerating other people’s grammar.

As for the OP’s problem spending money at a dealer, it must be bad luck. Or currently a sellers market 🤷‍♂️
Do persevere with your quest to buy a MH and with posting at MHF

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I recall reading a similar post on here a month or so ago, so you are not alone Rex Mac .
If I were you, I would get the name and email address for the owner of each of those dealerships and let them know of your experience. If you have the names of the sales people you made appointments with, all the better.
I must admit that whenever I have been looking to buy a motorhome I have simply walked-in and looked around the sales yards, hoping not to be approached by a salesperson. If I am approached by a salesperson I generally tell them, politely, that I will seek them out if I need any assistance.
You are lucky that your dealerships have got motorhomes to sell. Here in NZ, motorhomes and caravans are in short supply.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
First of all, welcome to Fun Rex Mac, and congrats on reaching retirement. (y)
It might help if you could put your rough location on your Avatar/Account details, it would then be easier to receive recommendations from Fun Members for a particular dealer/dealers in your area.
Secondly have a look at the dealer reviews by clicking on the reviews tab at the top of the page, you should then see (under motorhomes) the dealers many of us have used and are happy to recommend, but there are a few that us, in the know, wouldn't touch.;)

Most of us know there is no substitute for experience, and this site does all it can to offer advice in helping people narrow down their van search, along with specific items to look out for whether buying new or used. I can assure you its nothing like buying a car, as you dont even have to consider whether the cars payload is sufficient in most cases, where that is a vital point that is often covered up when purchasing a motor home i.e its a four berth so must be OK for 4 people to use with all their corresponding kit etc, err not often true.

There is also a brilliant piece written by our founder Jim Brown on how best to negotiate a good deal with any dealer, its worth a read if only for its humour, but its something I wish I had read before our first van purchase. I know it was covered in one of the Fun monthly magazines, but maybe someone on here can steer you straight to where it can be found.

If you have any questions at all please come back and ask, layout is your first choice, get that right then everything else should be easier.
Good luck.
LES

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Sad that dealerships can afford to take this stance with customers who have ready cash.
As others have said it would help to have a rough idea of the area you are searching.
I know down in my area their are a couple of dealerships that have very good reviews.
Good luck and don’t give up.
These are strange times.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I really should have guessed Lenny HB would suggest Germany ;) but the OP is wanting to tour UK and Ireland so will most likely want Right hand drive.

Rex Mac have you thought about buying private? other than that yes possibly some more geographic details and the funsters might find you a dealer who can be A---d.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Due to the situation with C-19 there is a shortage of motorhomes available on the market, both used and new.

I visited my regular dealer for a service last week, usually they a stock of around 80 - 100 new and used mohos but currently has absolutely none.

This must be a very frustrating situation for salesmen.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
The quality of salespeople in many trades is appalling.
With sales of motorhomes going through the roof this year, individual buyers are just a drop in the ocean and salesmen have become order takers rather than sales executives.

In the motor-trade, this was also the case from the late-nineties when PCP finance deals were introduced and the customer pool expanded exponentially.
I spent a few years selling cars in that era and, having come to it from an unrelated professional sales background where the customer is actually listened to, I found myself considerably outselling the “veterans” within a couple of months.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rex Mac

Rex Mac

Free Member
Jul 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Sincere apologies for the messy formatting. I wrote the original in Open Office for proof reading, copied and pasted it into the forum not realising there might be a formatting problem.

Sorry for the mess.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sincere apologies for the messy formatting. I wrote the original in Open Office for proof reading, copied and pasted it into the forum not realising there might be a formatting problem.

Sorry for the mess.

We 'Like' people who apologise for stuff that really isn't worth apologising for.

Ignore the whiners and as already been posted, give us a clue as to where you are (geographically). It is worth remembering that should you not be totally happy with your new Gin Palace, you will have to take it back to be sorted. The shine will go off your buy if you have to take it to the other end of the country.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I am familiar with the problem you’ve had,as we had the same experience 3 to 4 years ago.

Im afraid there’s no easy solution. During my working life,now retired,I was in sales and sales management for 20 odd years. I like to be sold to,by a knowledgeable and empathetic person. They are few and far between in the motorhome dealerships. Our journey into buying became a competition for our own amusement and sanity: Let’s see how bad the salesman at this one is!!!!!!!

AllI can suggest is that you lower your expectations by about 1000%,then you won’t be disappointed.

Sorry I can’t be more positive.

Depending on where you are,others may be along to recommend dealers who might be good.

Upvote 0

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
A perfectly polite and informative post from a newcomer immediately met with criticism.
Welcome to the wonderful world of motorhomes.
For what it's worth i wouldn't go near a dealer I've never met a good one but only a personal opinion. Any warranty they give you won't be worth the paper it is written on.
Buy private(plenty will disagree) the money you save will pay for any problems you may have. You definitely will as motorhomes are very complex. Damp is the biggest problem so invest in a good damp meter. Any damp walk away.
Welcome Rex Mac to motorhoming you will love it and don't pay to much attention to daft forums.
Hope this isn't too paragraphed.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Sorry for the mess.
I wouldn't worry about it ....i found it very easy to read.

The unfortunate part of fun is you so get some right pedantic cantankerous folk desperate just to pick fault

Best to just let it go over your head ( easier said than done )

I think the main problem you're having is dealer's

I'd be inclined to look privately

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
A perfectly polite and informative post from a newcomer immediately met with criticism
Ah, but I gave constructive criticism... the op would soon get a lot of unfriendly criticism if he carried on posting in that format...👍🏼😊

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi Rex, and Welcome!
£70k should be more than adequate.
I think you have been most unfortunate, but persevere, you may come across more indifferent sales people and unhelpful forum comments in your travels but they help to make the good times even better.
Good luck in your continuing search.
Contact the MD of the organisation before visiting next time. It may be that some of their staff are somewhat dis-affected at the moment. A genuine customer ought to be welcomed.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome to the madness, but thoroughly descent place that is MHF.

Maybe it's worth emailing a few dealers explaining that you're a serious buyer (my guess is there's lots of dreamers out there these days) name your budget (less than the real one of course) and explain that you've already had several unprofessional dealings with other dealers and are looking for a serious company to conclude a deal with before YEAR end.

See who bothers to write back.....

Good luck !

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Don’t worry about the formatting I read it easily. There is a preview button. It appears to me that you are a very educated man. More than some of the morons on here.
If someone wanted to spend 70k on my van I would bite their hand off as it’s only valued at £30k😂😂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back