I have just heard a rumour, P&O Hull-Zebrugge ROPAX Being Axed (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just Now on Look North. P&O statement, does not confirm closure. But warn that redundancies cannot be ruled out. Currently the RoPax service (to Zeebrugge) is suspended and has been since April.

look north BBC news ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Look North at 6-30 Last Night and also at 10-30pm. Trade Unions are convinced the Zeebrugge service will not restart. P&O are being cagey about it. But having worked for P&O as a Chief Engineer. back in the 70`s. I don`t see it resuming ever.
So many ferry routes have been axed, it is highly possible this one will be too.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So many ferry routes have been axed, it is highly possible this one will be too.
I dont have the local connections I used to. But it`s been on the cards for some years that this service was a probable loss maker. P&O, who are no no longer based in the UK BTW, where cheeky enough to ask OUR govt; for a cash injection to see them over the "Chinese Virus" lockdowns.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I dont have the local connections I used to. But it`s been on the cards for some years that this service was a probable loss maker. P&O, who are no no longer based in the UK BTW, where cheeky enough to ask OUR govt; for a cash injection to see them over the "Chinese Virus" lockdowns.
Mind you better to support them than give £14m to a ferry company without ferries, whilst this virus has emanated from China so many of the other viruses have appeared from other parts of the world SARA MERS, HIV etc I wouldn't blame China but the way Man is interacting with the world...Save the planet go vegetarian :)

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My information is that it is being closed due to ongoing losses over a long period of time. Dubai Ports who are the defacto owners are unlikely to change this decision it seems. Redundancy and redeployment are the options I guesd

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Interesting thought regarding going vegan, I am slowly heading in the direction of vegetarianism. However even this is unlikely to make too much difference, as modern agrochemicals are used heavily and soils particularly in the western world have been systematically destroyed by monocultural practice. I came from a farming family, and rotation was common with fallow period to allow rebirth. Ancient civilization knew and practiced this philosophy, we have not in the main, at our ultimate cost.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Save the planet go vegetarian
Not going to happen on my watch!. I like my Rare steak too much. Salads are are next thing to eating grass. I`ll leave that to the creatures who are built by Nature for it, and continue to feast on the results.

I did my bit for planet saving long before it was "fashionable". I`m still the arch recycler, Even my grand-kids know grandad will make use of almost anything. At the moment I am "recycling" a 1971 Car.

As for the P&O decision, There is a possibility that the service might re-start (if there is demand) with Freight Only. Vessels like the ones we used in the 70`s are far less labour intensive, (less than 30 crew) and operate to different standards than RoPax. As well as needing less shore personel to operate.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My information is that it is being closed due to ongoing losses over a long period of time. Dubai Ports who are the defacto owners are unlikely to change this decision it seems. Redundancy and redeployment are the options I guesd
So many British Companies are just sold off and when they do not make a profit or manufacturing is cheaper elsewhere, ARM and MG are classic sell offs

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not going to happen on my watch!. I like my Rare steak too much. Salads are are next thing to eating grass. I`ll leave that to the creatures who are built by Nature for it, and continue to feast on the results.

I did my bit for planet saving long before it was "fashionable". I`m still the arch recycler, Even my grand-kids know grandad will make use of almost anything. At the moment I am "recycling" a 1971 Car.

As for the P&O decision, There is a possibility that the service might re-start (if there is demand) with Freight Only. Vessels like the ones we used in the 70`s are far less labour intensive, (less than 30 crew) and operate to different standards than RoPax. As well as needing less shore personel to operate.
Being a Veggie is not about eating salads, mind you I love a nice Salad, here is a balanced lunch (Happens to have salad this time) it contains B12 Zinc B9 its high in Fibre and protein amongst other things. The important part is no harm was caused to any sentient beings.

IMG_2691.jpeg

Deleted User

Freight only boats are still operating Hull - Zebrugge, don't think daily though.

My son loads export trailers bound for Zeebrugge on a daily basis and is running them into Cobal Freight at Immingham 2 or 3 times a week.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Freight only boats are still operating Hull - Zebrugge, don't think daily though.

My son loads export trailers bound for Zeebrugge on a daily basis and is running them into Cobal Freight at Immingham 2 or 3 times a week.
As I said, I don`t have the connections now. Most are in my age group and like me, long retired!. But what you say does make sense?. Far cheaper to move boxes and Trailers than even foot passengers. But of course Immingham is not Hull?. I Sailed the Gothenburg run from there back in the 70`s.

Deleted User
As I said, I don`t have the connections now. Most are in my age group and like me, long retired!. But what you say does make sense?. Far cheaper to move boxes and Trailers than even foot passengers. But of course Immingham is not Hull?. I Sailed the Gothenburg run from there back in the 70`s.

The firm that my son sub contracts to has had a depot near to the main entrance to Hull docks for many years and had one in Zeebrugge until a few years ago though is based in Preston and at one time virtually everything went via Hull.

Over the years P&O reduced the freighter service, stopping completely for a time, and Immingham was used more often especially for hazardous cargoes which could not be carried on passenger ferries.

I would not be surprised if P&O do not restart the passenger service as the 2 ferries are now 33 years old, I would have thought that there would be enough freight traffic for a daily service though.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A challenge is the age of the vessels on both the short and long sea ferry routes, two new vessels are on order for Dover as the current ones are now 25 years plus old. The new vessels are much larger and hopefully more cost effective. If course since P&O flagged out to Cyprus crews slowly are being recruited from outside the UK. This also goes for other companies I believe.
These decisions have a long lead time, from decision to finance raising to build. In the meantime many things have changed. Carnival cruise lines are selling off vessels, and taken delivery of a new one, which is there largest yet. Could not imagine the anxiety at board level currently. However one thing for sure the bottom of the pile will pay, small shareholders and pension funds.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Being a Veggie is not about eating salads, mind you I love a nice Salad, here is a balanced lunch (Happens to have salad this time) it contains B12 Zinc B9 its high in Fibre and protein amongst other things. The important part is no harm was caused to any sentient beings.

View attachment 429485
Good Gracious me,,thats not food,,it looks atrocious..Give me a plate of fish or shell fish any day..BUSBY. :LOL: :LOL:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Good Gracious me,,thats not food,,it looks atrocious..Give me a plate of fish or shell fish any day..BUSBY. :LOL: :LOL:
Well as a Vegetarian I do eat fish, but just like the Japanese I feel sorry for the Fish

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Japanese don't feel sorry for Whales though,,a mammal I know,,They still hunt them. Barbaric.BUSBY.
Wasnt there a war time song about that?. Vera Lyn? "Whale meet again"?. One time Salvsesen`s Theme tune?.:imoutahere:Yeh, Ok? getting my coat!:rofl:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Wasnt there a war time song about that?. Vera Lyn? "Whale meet again"?. One time Salvsesen`s Theme tune?.:imoutahere:Yeh, Ok? getting my coat!:rofl:
No idea, I was born well after WW2 ( I assume its that vintage war you are thinking of) another distant time, another far away place and a different planet ;)

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Indeed so however the Rotterdam service is to continue.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Vegetarian, carnivorous, vegan, whatever - nobody should get so hung up about trace elements and minerals that they neglect the essentials - ie protein carb and veg. 50% veg, 25% protein and 25% carb.

Let's guess that photo depicts lentil or bean soup, which can either be lovely, OK or disgusting depending on how it's made and whether they know how to season things with the correct herbs and/or spices. Lentils & beans both have fibre and 'some' protein - but their main other content is carb. Only trouble with that is, when you either liquidise or overcook carb, after sticking it in your gob, it starts converting itself into and hits the bloodstream as glucose like an express train. Not satisfied with that - 3 generous slices of white 'French stick' bread (more fast acting carb) with it, with the minimum of fat added to the bread, so nowt to slow that down to any extent either.

Fat in any form slows fast carbs down so in an ideal world I'd only liquidise a quarter-ish of the pulses (only enough to support the whole lentils/beans), swirl a very generous dollop of full fat Greek yoghurt into each portion of soup when serving, have less baguette with more fat, and some sort of dressing on the salad.

(There again not being anything other than omnivorous I'd probably not personally!)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Vegetarian, carnivorous, vegan, whatever - nobody should get so hung up about trace elements and minerals that they neglect the essentials - ie protein carb and veg. 50% veg, 25% protein and 25% carb.

Let's guess that photo depicts lentil or bean soup, which can either be lovely, OK or disgusting depending on how it's made and whether they know how to season things with the correct herbs and/or spices. Lentils & beans both have fibre and 'some' protein - but their main other content is carb. Only trouble with that is, when you either liquidise or overcook carb, after sticking it in your gob, it starts converting itself into and hits the bloodstream as glucose like an express train. Not satisfied with that - 3 generous slices of white 'French stick' bread (more fast acting carb) with it, with the minimum of fat added to the bread, so nowt to slow that down to any extent either.

Fat in any form slows fast carbs down so in an ideal world I'd only liquidise a quarter-ish of the pulses (only enough to support the whole lentils/beans), swirl a very generous dollop of full fat Greek yoghurt into each portion of soup when serving, have less baguette with more fat, and some sort of dressing on the salad.

(There again not being anything other than omnivorous I'd probably not personally!)
Th photo depicts Carrot & Corriander soup with Yeast flakes which provides Protein and yes it was yummy, the following day was Butternut squash & Tomato with a variety of spices an some freshly squeezed lemon to lift the taste, both soups also had onion and celery in them,

Just happens my normal bread is wholemeal rather than white :)

Any minerals that may be added and not required by the body will get washed down the Loo

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Doesn't sound at all appetising. Now a nice 7 day hung Steak, cooked over hickory chipped barbecue coals, to a nice rare colour with just a trace of blood.?. I can drool just writing that. Add a baked Potato with full fat butter, Petit Pois and Sweetcorn. Nice Rioja, or South African Red?.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Doesn't sound at all appetising. Now a nice 7 day hung Steak, cooked over hickory chipped barbecue coals, to a nice rare colour with just a trace of blood.?. I can drool just writing that. Add a baked Potato with full fat butter, Petit Pois and Sweetcorn. Nice Rioja, or South African Red?.
Edited to say that reminds me of a film with Hanibal ;)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I tried to become more healthy once. Gave up smoking, stopped drinking, went vegetarian. It was the worst twenty minutes of my life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back