I Declare Today To Be My Revolut Day. (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A couple of weekends ago, QMJ visitors Ven and Dave helped me renew my driving licence and apply for a Revolut card.

We did this online whilst we lounged around this peaceful, wooded spot, well away from it all.

Stage 1 done.

Both items arrived by post at my Portuguese friend's house yesterday and I popped over this morning to collect them.

The first thing to do was to test the Revolut system.

Using the app on my smartphone, I had loaded £20 onto the (virtual) card from my Visa Debit card.

Stage 2 complete.

I needed some GPL and, having filled up at my little, local station, I offered the shiny new (real) card for payment.

BAMMO... no problem... it took €13.36 from the card and I instantly received a message on the phone announcing the transaction had taken place and informing me how many pounds Sterling I had left.

Stage 3 completed.

Well pleased.

Now, unless I wanted to restrict myself to only £750 per year, I needed to "verify" my identity. From within the app, I followed the easy instructions and had my passport scanned. Then I had to take a photo of my face. The app displayed the exact position I needed to be in and took the scan automatically when I was in position.

It instantly told me both uploads had been successful.

A minute or two later, I was informed that my account was now "verified" and I could use up to £75,000 per year. (Unless I start taking Mr Snowbird and his Child Bride Pat out to dinner a couple of times a month, 75 grand a year should be sufficient for my modest means).

Stage 4 completed.

Now I tested topping up the card and, with a couple of button pushes, another £20 had been transferred from my bank account (via my Visa debit card) onto the Revolut card... instantly... on a Sunday afternoon... from a small forest in the middle of nowhere.

Stage 5 complete.

Another test to carry out will be to get Euros from a cash machine... maybe tomorrow.

As far as I can tell... when my monthly pension is paid into my UK bank, I can get my grubby hands on it to use, practically instantly, anywhere in the world where I have an internet connection.

Totally BRILLIANT.

Revolut ROOLS.

JJ :cool:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Another convert @Techno , thanks JJ, now tell the world you don't have to worry about exchange rates regardless of which country you're in it is fully automatic and it is Spot Rate or inter-bank rate.

I have to admit that when Andy was telling me to go down this route I was a bit skeptical but I shifted a few Grand Sterling when Euro was at 1.43 earlier last year and everything I purchased at Twin Lakes was at this rate regardless of Brexit lead up; Brilliant

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Superb @JJ.....Now just what can I tempt you to buy now. Oh, just a thought, is this money real or is it like those internet credit things (cant think what they are called.) If its real cash of course it will be a pleasure to do business as always.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have to admit that when Andy was telling me to go down this route I was a bit skeptical but I shifted a few Grand Sterling when Euro was at 1.43 earlier last year
If only I had spare cash when the $ was 1:52 , kicking myself!
I have cash now, just waiting for the opportunity :cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If only I had spare cash when the $ was 1:52 , kicking myself!
I have cash now, just waiting for the opportunity :cool:
Oddly, I have during the last week changed a lot of $ to sterling.. Made a few shekels on the deal :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Rates are picking up slowly
IMG_9719.PNG

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
BAMMO... no problem... it took €13.36 from the card and I instantly received a message on the phone announcing the transaction had taken place and informing me how many pounds Sterling I had left.

When stood at the till using my Revolut card in Europe my phone tells me I have spent x Euro where-ever I am, faster than they can give me a till receipt.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
When stood at the till using my Revolut card in Europe my phone tells me I have spent x Euro where-ever I am, faster than they can give me a till receipt.

But then you pay for the sim message don't you?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There isnt one.

This is posted by my mate Dave... but I don't agree with him and suggest he has not learnt what Revolut does...

Can you store Dollars, Euros and Pounds all on your Nationwide Card in different sections?

Using your phone, can you load it with sterling and withdraw that money in euros at a cash machine in Portugal practically instantly... without any bank charges?

Can you swop your pounds for euros or dollars instantly, at the exchange rate offered that second, for no charge?

Can you withdraw Dollars from your Sterling account at a USA ATM machine without incurring any bank charges and at the bank to bank exchange rate for that moment?

Can you pay for your meal in Singapore in local currency with your Nationwide card at the exchange rate of the moment, and have no bank charges.

There is so much more... and maybe your Nationwide card does all this (from an app on your phone)... in which case Dave is correct... but I very much doubt it in this instance...

(just as I managed to go shopping here on Good Friday ;)).

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This is posted by my mate Dave... but I don't agree with him and suggest he has not learnt what Revolut does...

Can you store Dollars, Euros and Pounds all on your Nationwide Card in different sections?

Can you swop your pounds for euros or dollars instantly, at the exchange rate offered that second, for no charge?

Can you withdraw Dollars from your Sterling account at a USA ATM machine without incurring any bank charges and at the bank to bank exchange rate for that moment?

Can you pay for your meal in Singapore in local currency with your Nationwide card at the exchange rate of the moment and have no bank charges.

There is so much more... and maybe your Nationwide card does all this (from an app on your phone) in which case Dave is correct... but I doubt it in this instance... (just as I went shopping here on Good Friday ;)).

Yes I can draw cash anywhere in the world at a favourable rate specified by Visa which is much better than tourist rate. Strangely whilst recently in Bulgaria I was getting a better rate than XE was advertising. I pay no charges for this service and even get European breakdown cover, phone cover for my very old mobile phone and worldwide medical cover for around £6 per month after they have paid me interest.
Along with this I use one of the CCs which gives me worldwide purchases t the same rate as there debit card, with no additional charges and they even pay me 1/2% to use it whilst in the UK.
Sorry my old friend, but prepay cards like prepay phones are so yesterday :).

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave, you are so mistaken it is embarrassing...

Now stop winding me up... I am looking after my bonfire...

Best stick to things you understand, like lighting a bonfire :D. All this high finance and lettuce growing should be left to those that understand these things.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Why don't you check out Revolut?

You would really like it... if you ever mastered that smart phone of yours.

Luddite.

Wadya mean, mastered the phone. I have that thing sorted now pal. I can speak to people on it without being plugged in. I just have to sort this text thing out. Noonecanunderstandwhatamsaying because I cannot find the space bar on the damned thing.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have both cards, but to date when I have been abroad (france) I just used the NW card. I couldn't see any point in moving money from NW to revolute, when I could just use the NW.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have both cards, but to date when I have been abroad (france) I just used the NW card. I couldn't see any point in moving money from NW to revolute, when I could just use the NW.

Now you have done it. Sometimes its better to leave the old boy in ignorance :).

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Progress report...

Today was pension day.

I moved some of it to my Revolut card and withdrew some at a cash machine in Ansião, Central Portugal.

I then bought diesel using money from the card.

Details of both transactions appeared instantly on my phone.

Earlier in the week I tested their customer service by texting a question. I received an apology for the delay (40 mins) in replying and after a bit of live chat the question was answered fully.

I also did my first money making attempt by changing pounds into euros and then, two days later, changing it back to pounds. I don't think I chose the right time as I "lost" three cents on the deal! ;)

PS. Sadly Mr Snowbird Dave can't use Revolut as he is unfamiliar with operating a smartphone whilst connected to the internet... indeed he only got connected in his 5ver while here in Portugal because I gave him a mifi to use.

It was easier teaching 8 year olds Latin. :whistle:

Mind you... using gold bars to do his deals doesn't involve currency exchanging!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Neither would I... if I had a Nationwide Bank account

But I don't... and I hear bad things about banks charges and exchange rates when changing currencies...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back