I cant believe I am so overweight (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
I know this weight thing has all been done before and before and then all over again but it just goes to prove the point that one can prevaricate all one wants but until you get on the scales....:sick:

So my Fiat Hobby 600 FM should have a payload of 525Kg; Mass in running order should be 2,975Kg; I did do quite a bit of research including reading the original paperwork and book in German with the help of Google translate, so that payload is after 2x gas tanks, 90% fuel, 90% freshwater, one 75Kg driver, spare tyre, two batteries, tools etc etc.

Yesterday I went for the annual technical inspection, just me, 90% fuel, two full gas tanks, 40% of fresh water. Quite bare in reality and I was 3,513Kg o_O So I had to think, where am I carrying 500+Kg of excess weight :unsure:

So I have had a tidy up, like preparing my yacht for a transatlantic race.

I don't need 400Amp hour of domestic batteries, out with two of them and wiring so -55Kg
Never watched the TV, that's gone, satellite gone, decoder gone, cables, connections all out. -30Kg
Off with the awning (I live in northern Baltic's) if its too sunny I sit under a tree and if it rains I go home or put a coat and hat on. -70Kg
Clear out excess plates, forks, spoons, cups (I BBQ, eat off paper plates and burn the wooden cutlery). -20Kg
Do I need 5 towels? do I need all the stuff in the garage just in case I am out camping when there is a zombie apocalypse attack?
Shall I remove the custom tow bar and all its metal construction?

I feel liberated and so far I have lost about 250Kg, I can now out accelerate a mobile crane at the traffic lights and lowered my liters per 100Km (as they calculate fuel consumption here). The tyres will last longer and SWIMBO can eat more donuts. It's a win win situation. :Grin::dance2::drinks:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mass in running order should be 2,975Kg
Which is the weight it left the factory.... No personal goods or aftermarket accessories.
Gross weight is 3500kg, that's woth everything aboard including you and passengers.
So, as it stands you are just 13kg overweight... Why try to get down to the MIRO weight?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Why try to get down to the MIRO weight?
I am not, I have had a lot of fun sorting out the excess stuff, a spiritual awakening about stuff and me. I can now add the grand kids, a BBQ, multi pack of sausages, fill the water so they can all use the pottie 10 times and still be legally under 3,500Kg, what a lot of fun that is :dance2:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Been trying to loose weight since Xmas,,no luck at all.BUSBY🤣🤣

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
What length is it? Do you want to sell it?
Can you deliver foc?
I think its 4 meters, all the trimmings, just need to sort out my euro green covid pass and its an essential trip to stop sunburn i guess? 5,000 euro and I will throw in free delivery. I will need to re fit it to deliver and then we can take it of when i get to you. deal? :Grin:

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
I've been collecting things to go in the new motorhome for a few weeks now, this post has prompted me to consider whether I really need the full toolkit, maintenance items, and spares of everything for a weekend away. Similar to the post above who had an NB, it's been too easy to forget about weight. When sailing I always took everything to fix the boat in a crisis (within reason) and of course, that mentality is difficult to shake off.

Thanks for the wake-up call.

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
One unexpected advantage of our Carthago is the tremendous payload. Our old globecar, with all our stuff in it has only a bit extra for wine etc coming back from France. We put everything we used to use and some extra chairs into the Carthago, went to weighbridge and had over 900kg left.

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
When sailing I always took everything to fix the boat in a crisis (within reason) and of course, that mentality is difficult to shake off.
Maybe its something us mariners have in common, When I had a yacht I also had everything with me, you cant stop and walk to the chandlers in the middle of an ocean and quite often you cant call for help either.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I've been collecting things to go in the new motorhome for a few weeks now, this post has prompted me to consider whether I really need the full toolkit, maintenance items, and spares of everything for a weekend away. Similar to the post above who had an NB, it's been too easy to forget about weight. When sailing I always took everything to fix the boat in a crisis (within reason) and of course, that mentality is difficult to shake off.

Thanks for the wake-up call.

Having toured for a fair few years on motorcycles, we managed to get our packing down to a fine art on them. Small tool kit, clothes that fold small and no need for ironing etc.

We’ve got empty storage cupboards in the van. (y)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
As you can see from my opening post, I will be left with about 240kg of payload. This will be for clothes and some food, toiletries, two ebikes and water etc. We are both light travellers and spend 10 to 12 weeks in Spain and only take what we need. Clothes can always be reduced as we can !aunder them as we need to, which are mostly shorts and t-shirt’s, but my wife has the largest wardrobe, naturally.

When in this country our requirements are different, clothes wise and generally only do short trips because of the weather. Our philosophy has always been, if we haven’t used something for 6 months, turf it out.

As the heavier stuff is taken care of, I guess being left with 240kg of the adjusted 320kg payload, it is manageable.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
NORTHERN BOY i do like hobby 600’s so id like to ask if they are under 3,500 t so my. Better half could drive it when he gives up his grandfather rights on his licence at 70? Thankyou pampam

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
NORTHERN BOY i do like hobby 600’s so id like to ask if they are under 3,500 t so my. Better half could drive it when he gives up his grandfather rights on his licence at 70? Thankyou pampam
Hi, yes its a great bit of kit, yes it is under 3,500 Kg so OK on a basic license. I have attached some files I found on the internet, if you have any other questions do ask me.

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 17.31.59.pngScreenshot 2021-03-27 at 17.32.07.png

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Finally got our van to the weighbridge today - prompted (and worried) by this thread. 3.04t and thats with pretty much everything and everyone we travel with. What a relief.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back