I am considering a first ebike (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'd have thought it constitutes driving without due care and attention a fine and a few points being publicises might deter the next one

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
Bit OTT for a couple of miles on tarmac ??
He asked for 20 in wheels , foldable and with a rack for basket .. short range and not too heavy ..

The AS Bike has
... 20in wheels, foldable, easy to mount/dismount and only weighs 18.5 kg (battery removed) and has a rack for a basket .. a range of 30miles..

yes, he said 2 miles on tarmac.. and each way is only 4 miles, but there are no e-biles I am aware of that have such a short range.. electric wheel chairs have more range .. up to 25miles or more .

However, if that was OTT what do you suggest to fit his criteria better .. ?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
He asked for 20 in wheels , foldable and with a rack for basket .. short range and not too heavy ..

The AS Bike has
... 20in wheels, foldable, easy to mount/dismount and only weighs 18.5 kg (battery removed) and has a rack for a basket .. a range of 30miles..

yes, he said 2 miles on tarmac.. and each way is only 4 miles, but there are no e-biles I am aware of that have such a short range.. electric wheel chairs have more range .. up to 25miles or more .

However, if that was OTT what do you suggest that would fit his criteria better .. ?
I meant price wise plenty of cheap folding not too heavy small battery bikes around for 1/2 that price or less,and at such use durability should not be an issue and basic bike parts are readily available, otherwise your suggestion fails the bill

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Have you got one?
I've got three bikes... A folding shopper, half sus mountain bike and a full carbon road bike.... Imho full sus is rarely needed... Unless you spend a lot of money on it, you're likely to have more to go wrong, more weight and relatively little gain especially if just using it for short trips on tarmac.

What full suspension shopper would you advise op to get?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I've got three bikes... A folding shopper, half sus mountain bike and a full carbon road bike.... Imho full sus is rarely needed... Unless you spend a lot of money on it, you're likely to have more to go wrong, more weight and relatively little gain especially if just using it for short trips on tarmac.

What full suspension shopper would you advise op to get?
I’ve had a minimum of front suspension on all my bikes. Never really noticed that much difference with the weight and the handling is next level. I’ve tried bikes without suspension and they are like bone shakers in my opinion.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
I meant price wise plenty of cheap folding not too heavy small battery bikes around for 1/2 that price or less,and at such use durability should not be an issue and basic bike parts are readily available, otherwise your suggestion fails the bill

I have no doubt there are cheaper e-bikes, they have cheap frames with cheap forks with no suspension, and cheap components, particularly the drive train and wheels.. a freewheel sprocket might be relatively cheap but needs special tools to change, which few have in their motorhome ...
In a lifetime of cycling, I've changed several that have failed.. and sods law, fail when you are miles from home.. .. likewise cheap derailleurs and brakes..

as oft said.... quality is remembered long after price is forgotten..

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I have no doubt there are cheaper e-bikes, with cheap frames and cheap components, particularly the drive train and wheels.. .... a freewheel sprocket might be relatively cheap but needs special tools which few have ... Over a lifetime of cycling, I've changed many that have failed.. .. so back to bike shop .. likewise cheap derailiers and brakes..
I used to sell bikes for a living,almost all of which were the same still ages of frames from china they were shotblasted painted and stickers placed on them falcon, British eagle,Townsend,claud butler and others they did differ in fittings but all left the same factory on the same truck with the same 1 year guarantee and 10 year frame guarantee I had very few guarantee claims,did plenty of adjustments etc as part of customer service.
The op said a couple of miles on tarmac from this I assume not many times a year so a well sourced £500 bike should suffice for many years the £800 not spent will buy him another when if he wears the first one beyond economic repair.(new battery £150 new motorised wheel with sprocket tyre tube speed controller,crank sensor,thumb throttle,switched brake levers £200 last I bought (a year ago)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have been looking at one of those for my wife but they only have the 30nm motor they have been promising a 50nm. nice light bike 17kg but no suspension & it's just dropped in price to £2½k.
Are you off cycling this year whilst on tour ?

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I've been to a bike shop today.
They showed me an MiRider at £1,800 and a Brompton at nearly £3,000 😮

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been to a bike shop today.
They showed me an MiRider at £1,800 and a Brompton at nearly £3,000 😮
Did you ride them?
The Mirider doesn't have any gears and when you start off it goes off like a rocket. They do one with 3 gears but that is overpriced for what it is I think either £2300 or £2500.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Did you ride them?
The Mirider doesn't have any gears and when you start off it goes off like a rocket. They do one with 3 gears but that is overpriced for what it is I think either £2300 or £2500.
No they wouldn't let me ride on them, just sit on them in the shop.
I asked why and was told it was due to thefts.
I told them I wouldn't pay £3,000 for a car without having driven it so I left.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No they wouldn't let me ride on them, just sit on them in the shop.
I asked why and was told it was due to thefts.
I told them I wouldn't pay £3,000 for a car without having driven it so I left.
A good dealer will always let you have a ride some ask to keep your driving licence why you are out on the bike.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
You can do a test ride in Decathlon. Evans allows you to book a test ride. I wouldnt consider buying a bike without riding it first

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Bike shop at Brize Norton was happy for me to take it for a day

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't really want to spend that amount to be honest anyway.
For what you want a cheapie from Decathlon would do they have ½ dozen or more at £700 including a few folders. Not going to be a fantastic bike but fine for your shopping trips.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Some of the leccy bikes and especially conversions for Brompton bikes use battery packs made for hand tools. These are small and therefor light but also much less range. Oregon for example have a 36V range but there are clones with a bigger body that hold more cells. It is a bit of a minefield. I would say stick to reputable batteries and chargers as when these go wrong it can mean goodbye motorhome or house or garage or shed etc.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Many of the oriental bikes have the plug in Off Road option of a thumb throttle as do the Bafung conversion kits. Dont believe the German bikes offer this.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
For the amount you are going to use it I would buy a second hand one and see how you get on with it. 👍

Dec 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago, Malibu or
Don't by illegal ebikes that you see at shows and youtubers promote, when it says the are only to be used on private land that means land you own or have the permission to use them on. It's six points on your licence if you gey prosecuted.

Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2008
Have a look at Ribble on line. Proper bikes. Light weight. Ridable when not using assist. Much better than an electrified tank that so many electric bikes are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back