Hymer TV electric lift broken (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
this weekend my tv behind the seats on a BML 890 crashed down after a very small piece of plastic that holds the tv onto the helical worm drive screw broke, whilst lifting it with the electric motor button. Anyone else experienced this?
Any ideas how to fix it. It’s very difficult to get to and completely unclear as to the mechanism and how to fix the tv at the correctly calibrated height once I’ve overcome the repair issue?
Would appreciate any info???
Thanks

OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
this weekend my tv behind the seats on a BML 890 crashed down after a very small piece of plastic that holds the tv onto the helical worm drive screw broke, whilst lifting it with the electric motor button. Anyone else experienced this?
Any ideas how to fix it. It’s very difficult to get to and completely unclear as to the mechanism and how to fix the tv at the correctly calibrated height once I’ve overcome the repair issue?
Would appreciate any info???
Thanks
Just been quoted £1977.27 for this little piece of plastic that is broken. IMG_5923.jpgIMG_5929.jpgIMG_5932.jpgIMG_5930.jpg
I expected £20 worst case.
Cant even get drawings or instructions to sort it myself.
Any ideas please folks???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
You could probably find a model engineer could make you one from nylon.
Yes thanks
Think Nylon 66 would be too soft as it is quite a weight to withstand, but I cant see how/where it goes. Was thinking that a 3D printed piece would be good but again would need drawings to get it right. I'm now going to have to disassemble the whole seat back and cabinet on an October 2020 Motorhome. It's infuriating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
With the manufactures name it is always worth looking on sites like https://www.thingiverse.com/ for the STL file you never know if someone has had the same problem
Thanks . The manufacturer is FAWO, however they will not deal with private individuals. Also strangely their (German) website does not list anything similar so its probably made specially for Hymer. Trapped again!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
I just came to lift the TV in my Hymer 880 and the same problem occurred. Fortunately TV undamaged however the electric lift is now useless and I have to prop the TV up with a piece of wood. Weeks out of warranty! Did you manage to get a fix and if so would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Wow that shows a known issue
Hymer have agreed to the parts but I have to pay for the labour!
Parts on order due mid march
Let’s keep in touch because I have all manner of things failing!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Labour will not be cheap and factor in the cost of travelling there and back which for me includes the toll road each way and a 200 mile round trip etc. Have they agreed to the parts under the warranty or as a 'goodwill' gesture?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
I just came to lift the TV in my Hymer 880 and the same problem occurred. Fortunately TV undamaged however the electric lift is now useless and I have to prop the TV up with a piece of wood. Weeks out of warranty! Did you manage to get a fix and if so would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
Hi Buddy
Where did you buy the 880 ? is it a 2021 model?
I suspect ours is a Friday afternoon lemon due to the issues we have had.

So far we have had failed fairing bolts causing huge noise when roading. (offside front behind wheel) electric radiator cooling fan wiring abraded through causing overheating and power loss. Double rear bed raise lower motor failure (yours being twin singles probably not an issue)awning led strip failure, missing garage door struts and many others dealt with under warranty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Labour will not be cheap and factor in the cost of travelling there and back which for me includes the toll road each way and a 200 mile round trip etc. Have they agreed to the parts under the warranty or as a 'goodwill' gesture?
Hymer agreed to cover the cost of the parts but no explanation as to terminology. Labour is a huge £135 per hour!
I have to take it to Stafford (150 mile round trip but no tolls as we are in N Wales.)and will be going tomorrow morning(on the way to the NEC show) I will be negotiating for Hymer to cover this labour aspect also given it is a known problem.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Hi Margeux2
Oh dear! All of that sounds like a right pain. I originally had a new one on order however after numerous delivery time push backs and price increases I was offered a 'nearly new' (never used and only delivery mileage) at the right price. It is a late 2020 model. So far so good (6,000 miles and around 15 weeks of use in all conditions - just deme a 3 week trip to the Alps and back). A few grumbles when compared to my Carthago experience but so far all seems okay - apart from this which is annoying and frustrating. Do you think I need the piece of plastic you mentioned or a complete swap-out? If it's the latter then I may as well source a unit (different make!) myself and do a DIY replacement or get a local fitter to do the work.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Hi Margaux - how can we speak directly as in on the phone?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Hi Margaux - how can we speak directly as in on the phone?
Don’t want to put my number on the forum for obvious reasons and don’t know how it can be done?
Who supplied it! Don’t get me wrong we love the van but would have preferred rear wheel drive with air suspension, so Frankie seems to be the best choice. Morello too expensive!
Just message me with your questions.
To answer the last one, they first of all told me it’s an entire bracket assembly, which was absurd to me. They have not been clear about which parts they have ordered but I suspect it’s just the plastic bits, they won’t give me a detailed drawing/ installation diagram so it’s a bit of a can of worms. For resale I want to keep the van in original tip top condition when I upgrade again!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Travelworld - I happen to think the whole television issue in the lounge area is a bit of a compromise just to get in a 32". I think a much better place would have been on the blank wall next to the door. That way it would have been viewable from more positions and also would have maintained the open aspect between kitchen and seating area. Not to mention being far neater and with easier access for when the mechanism goes wrong (Easier DIY or less labour costs). I think I am going to wait until you get sorted tomorrow so as not to compromise anything and if you can let me know how you get on and I will try the same route. Is that okay with you? BTW found a great place to stay just off M'Way and 15 mins from Travelworld. I used it in October when travelling there from NEC when I had an 08.30 service appointment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Travelworld - I happen to think the whole television issue in the lounge area is a bit of a compromise just to get in a 32". I think a much better place would have been on the blank wall next to the door. That way it would have been viewable from more positions and also would have maintained the open aspect between kitchen and seating area. Not to mention being far neater and with easier access for when the mechanism goes wrong (Easier DIY or less labour costs). I think I am going to wait until you get sorted tomorrow so as not to compromise anything and if you can let me know how you get on and I will try the same route. Is that okay with you? BTW found a great place to stay just off M'Way and 15 mins from Travelworld. I used it in October when travelling there from NEC when I had an 08.30 service appointment.
Thanks
It won’t be sorted tomorrow but it’s the first chance to let them look at these 3 issues. Appreciate your hanging on but it’s no issue really as the more people who complain the less they can ignore it. It’s the second new one I’ve bought from Travelworld and if they don’t react accordingly then there won’t be a third!
Was it the pub car park you stayed at?
It was very handy!
I agree on the positioning as it is precarious when cooking!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back