Hymer running light bulb (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2013
Bedworth
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer Excis-
Exp
About 5 years now
Departing from Portsmouth on the ferry to Bilbao, one of the loaders said - your headlight is not working. It’s the drivers side (LHD) running light. So I asked Travelworld how much for a replacement bulb - £2500 they say - need to replace the entire unit. A headlight bulb in Halfords is around a tenner - any suggestions on a way forwards?

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3620.jpeg

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I put these in a few years ago, there’s probably a better one available now. My DRL’s are not on the Canbus so ordinary bulbs can be used. I assume yours are not on the Canbus also, otherwise you’d have had a dash board light warning.
A brighter white light compared to the standard 21w bulb.
IMG_0074.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep, standard 21 w indicator bulb. You will probably find the holder is burnt and distorted as they overheat. For now just fit a new bulb but when you get home replace both bulb holder and fit LED bulbs. They are a fairly standard bulb holder and only cost a few quid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Assuming that it is just the bulb, mine cost nothing from my independent garage in February. The 'Spanner' just replaced the bulb - I couldn't reach the bulb. However if the whole unit failed, they can be eye watering. Perhaps Travelword misunderstood you.

My Hymer has the same light cluster. How to change a light bulb, and what bulb is needed, is in the manual. Like LostinSpace says, you can do it yourself - you need long, strong hands.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cliff changed ours last week.

Standard 21w single filament bulb. Same as indicator bulb or reversing light.

You can reach it from underneath - you don’t even have to lift the bonnet. 👍

OP
OP
O
Apr 17, 2013
Bedworth
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer Excis-
Exp
About 5 years now
Assuming that it is just the bulb, mine cost nothing from my independent garage in February. The 'Spanner' just replaced the bulb - I couldn't reach the bulb. However if the whole unit failed, they can be eye watering. Perhaps Travelword misunderstood you.

My Hymer has the same light cluster. How to change a light bulb, and what bulb is needed, is in the manual. Like LostinSpace says, you can do it yourself - you need long, strong hands.
Thanks

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
TW probably thought you had the current headlight, not the previous multi bulb unit.
I changed both running light bulbs this morning. Far easier from below, you need very long arms if you want to go in from the top. Mine are on a canbus and the led bulbs fire off a dashboard computer warning (despite being can us ready) of bulb out. I just ignore it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Oh! How last year!

The OP didn't have the 'current' light. (No pun intended.)

Don't you just love? certain manufacturers (NOT!)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
TW probably thought you had the current headlight, not the previous multi bulb unit.
I changed both running light bulbs this morning. Far easier from below, you need very long arms if you want to go in from the top. Mine are on a canbus and the led bulbs fire off a dashboard computer warning (despite being can us ready) of bulb out. I just ignore it.
Don't forget, when it's MOT time ANY lit warning bulb on the dash which shouldn't be there is a fail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back