Hymer reading lights. (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Hi All, Have had same problem with 2 out of 3 lights on my 2015 exsis. Found the lights shown earlier in this thread on ebay but very reluctant to replace a poor design with more of the same. (Lights are fine when they work but as stated in this thread they are not long lasting) Has anyone found anything that would replace these lamps that has a replaceable bulb?

On a secondary issue, I was hoping that the 12v supply in the van was regulated by the magic box of fuses and charging! Understand that input to battery charging will vary upto 14.3v (?) but does this mean that the 12v ring in the van follows this charging voltage?

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
The replacements I fitted have been fine for several years. I looked but couldn’t find alternatives that would do the same job (i.e. giving light and looking attractive). I try to keep things looking as Hymer intended we been bought her but that just me!

As your you are thinking about fitting other lights, get your multimeter out and have a measure. Before I posted earlier in this thread about the voltage at the appliance being higher than nominal 12v when on EHU I did put a meter across the reading lamp terminals to be absolutely certain that nobody was going to call me out. I had already read it elsewhere but wanted to be 100% that charger voltage and appliance voltage are the same.

I can always tell whether we are on EHU and the appliance voltage is higher by the speed of the Thetford toilet fan which is noticeable faster compared to running on batteries alone.

I imagine the higher voltage is not normally a problem and I’m sure that most appliances or vehicle electrics must be as happy at 12.5v as at 14.4v. It’s speculation on my part that these lights are or were voltage sensitive. I wanted a theory that fitted the facts and gave me reason to hope that fitting replacements was not throwing away money. Also, the latest units include a USB charging socket which implies some sort of voltage regulation is built in now, at least.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The replacements I fitted have been fine for several years. I looked but couldn’t find alternatives that would do the same job (i.e. giving light and looking attractive). I try to keep things looking as Hymer intended we been bought her but that just me!

As your you are thinking about fitting other lights, get your multimeter out and have a measure. Before I posted earlier in this thread about the voltage at the appliance being higher than nominal 12v when on EHU I did put a meter across the reading lamp terminals to be absolutely certain that nobody was going to call me out. I had already read it elsewhere but wanted to be 100% that charger voltage and appliance voltage are the same.

I can always tell whether we are on EHU and the appliance voltage is higher by the speed of the Thetford toilet fan which is noticeable faster compared to running on batteries alone.

I imagine the higher voltage is not normally a problem and I’m sure that most appliances or vehicle electrics must be as happy at 12.5v as at 14.4v. It’s speculation on my part that these lights are or were voltage sensitive. I wanted a theory that fitted the facts and gave me reason to hope that fitting replacements was not throwing away money. Also, the latest units include a USB charging socket which implies some sort of voltage regulation is built in now, at least.
Years ago when suppliers adhered to some sort of standard nominally 12v devices for use in a vehicle were safe between 11 & 16 volts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back