Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
Hi All.

This is my first posting on MHF .

We have a 2002 Hymer Starline 640 which we love.

Due to the age of the old gal, one or two things are showing its age ( arn"t we all !! ) .

There are several small issues, which i will post in time but at the moment, one of my concerns are the pleated side window blinds which attach to the fly screens. ( No issues with the fly screens )

The pleated blinds pull up fine but when lowering them, they "bunch up" making it difficult to drop the blind into its main channel. I have to keep lifting them up, down and flapping them around, whilst trying to locate ...

Maybe this has been discussed before, as they seem to be a pretty generic blind.

Im looking for advice of how to fix this issue or come up with a solution if anybody would be so kind.

Many thanks
Shrek

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
From your description, the problem is when you are opening the blinds and they are not folding correctly?

I'd take a guess that the vehicle has been left stored with the blinds closed, i.e.stretched out. After a while they tend to lose the "remembered" shape coupled with the material itself stiffening with age. Although not a Hymer we were warned not to leave the blinds closed for any extended period as it stretches the mechanism. Instead for storage I've made up some screens with thin silvered insulation sheets, similar to internal thermal screens.

Sadly I don't think there is any remedy, short of replacing them. I did hear mention of dampening them to try and improve the flexibility but have no idea if it works, or even lasts once dried out again. But if there is a cure, someone on here will know it.

Oh and by the way :welcome4: to the Fun!

OP
OP
Shreky2440

Shreky2440

Free Member
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
Many thanks for your reply.

Yes i think your right, its almost as if the blinds have forgotten how to fold ( There clearly getting old haha )
I wondered whether to remove and iron each pleat without burning the fabric of course ??

In failing that, we either live with it, or dig VERY deep for some new ones.

Love the sight and forums by the way , there are some very witty and sarcastic comments kicking around ..."brilliant "" !!

Regards
Ade

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Hi Ade, we have a similar problem with one of our blinds when closing it. It bunches up, but not because it's been left up too long.
On ours, (also on a Hymer, same year) it's because of the thin white plastic trim at the bottom of the frame and behind the blind. The sun has warped it slightly and this is just enough to catch the folds as the blind is lowered causing it to bunch up. I usually have to help it a bit as I close it.
When you have the blind nearly fully down, check to see if the plastic trim is causing it.

OP
OP
Shreky2440

Shreky2440

Free Member
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
!! Brilliant !!! Will have a look this evening,

Many thanks Vic.

Regards
Ade

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Use spray starch on them, spray when open then close quickly. We also painted ours with fabric paint which also helped to stiffen them more. Look good too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I find that when opening I need to just help them to fold and concertina up correctly, especially the windscreen ones, but I'll try the starch trick to see if it works.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
We have the 2001 Mercedes Hymer B680, same problems, we brought some water based paint and repainted them all, much better now, but they are still 18 years old, the only real solution is buy new, but deep pockets are required

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I brought some spray starch but as yet I haven’t used it, a bit worried about the pleats sticking together ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back