Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
having had no success in finding a 1995~2002 b534 hymer [rear u lounge model] in the uk. i have started to look further afield and discoverd there are quite a few advertised for sale in germany. i have done my homework on the import /registration process [appears straightforward] UNLESS I MISSED SOMETHING ! but i would welcome any advice from any members who have actually done it themselves ! is there a better way of transferring funds other than using my bank ? are dealers in germany any more stringent than in the uk? i understand that their tuv is quite strict but are they bound by an equivelent to our trading standards etc ? i realise that due to the euro/pound situation, it being lhd and the travel costs involved,i wont be saving much [if any] money over a van already here in the uk BUT I CANT FIND ONE !! needless to say if anyone has one for sale please get in touch. my first paid up member post so thanks for reading and please be gentle !!

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
We imported a Roller Team in 2006 and got a huge saving (£10k) even after paying the VAT.

We transferred money direct to dealer's bank account from memory and got the full market rate for Euro.

No problem with owning a LHD van, only used it once in the UK other than to drive down to Chunnell.

I never bothered with headlight lens changeover as the guys I took it for MOT's simply added beam benders and passed it - I then removed them 5 minutes later!!

All I had to do was change reversing light and fog light lenses over at rear and rewire (cost about £20)

Sold the Roller Team last year after 5 years and 27 European countries visited for £4k less than I paid originally!

Hope this helps.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks guys yeah lhd is no problem to me and as it will be a used van there wont be any vat involved [if i have read the import info correctly].its now down to getting a flight and going and have a look .its just a shame that i will be paying dealer prices yet there wouldnt be much chance of taking it back for a warranty issue [not from manchester anyway]!! do german dealers do TRADE SALES i wonder ? regards garry

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I looked n to it a few years back

I found a German dealer not far from Hamburg... he was used to selling to the Brits and arranged everything i.e the insurance to get back to the UK (Covers 3 weeks) .. the VAT was not an issue if it is the age you are talking about.. They did all the paper work.. but wanted the transaction to happen early in the week so the transfer papers could be done at the local registration office.

It is the MOT when you get back... I saw lights mentioned so that is covered. you can normally insure the motorhome from the expect return date in the UK on the chassis number ... it is not a big issue to get it registered.. MOT then just fill the forms in and hand over the money. Cannot remember the name of the company, but it had a web site in german and English.. lots of photos of each motor home they had.. even a few yanks. Interestingly all the yanks had been converted to cassette toilets.

I drive a left hand all the time (Winnebago) easy even in the UK.....

Good luck

Bob

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If your importing have you looked on .?

Germany's biggest vehicle market place

I did a search and there are 44 x Hymer B534 models for sale..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks bob yeah being able to buy temp plates inc 3rd party ins to drive home seems a good idea. then i can insure fully on the vin number prior to mot and registration. i only live 10 minutes from the dvla office at stretford so hopefully that side of things should run smooth! time to get the map out i think .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks jim yes thats where i got the original idea from after i heard about mobile_de ! every time i do the same sort of searches here only about 2 show up and they are the older models. garry

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks jim yes thats where i got the original idea from after i heard about mobile_de ! every time i do the same sort of searches here only about 2 show up and they are the older models. garry

thought you would have done.. :thumb:

I'd have no worries about buying from Germany .. they are fastidious about servicing and looking after their pride and joy..

btw.. I love the old Hymers.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back