Hymer drop down bed (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
A nut has come off the bed mechanism and I'm finding it difficult to align things to get it back on.
The gas strut seems to be working against me.
Any ideas on how to fix this please.
Needless to say access is very restricted.
TIA
Chris
IMG_20200321_083100812.jpg

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Take the gas strut off from the other end closest to you. Fit the rear end with the bolt and nut. You will then be able to compress the gas strut to fit onto the lug nearest to you then. Its a bit fiddly but it can be done quite easily

Kev

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Is the strut easy to compress, is it likely to be under pressure and spring open when unfastened ?
Thanks for your help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I would not undo the gas strut, they are high pressure 2200nm. This is why you cant line up the bolt. The gas strut would need to be undone in the fully extended position otherwise it could be very dangerous.
I believe you have to have the bed in the closed up position for this to be the case and would probably be true for replacing the bolt with the least pressure on the joint.
Getting at it will be the biggest problem.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would not undo the gas strut, they are high pressure 2200nm. This is why you cant line up the bolt. The gas strut would need to be undone in the fully extended position otherwise it could be very dangerous.
I believe you have to have the bed in the closed up position for this to be the case and would probably be true for replacing the bolt with the least pressure on the joint.
Getting at it will be the biggest problem.

Yes I agree, bed fully pushed up and supported if taking a gas strut off, if not your windscreen could be a gonner

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Gas strut is impossible to compress by hand. Remove all bedding and curtains. Push bed up fully then further using a jack & length of wood from the floor. Use a spreader and cloth padding so you don't damage the underside. Attempting to replace the bolt without doing all of the above will not be possible - especially if you want to avoid cross-threading it. In this position the gas strut is not under load and can, if necessary, be removed /replaced.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Looking at the picture it shows the gas strut open at full length? If so ..The strut can be taken off and with huge respect to those of you who have said it cannot be done....It can with ease. We had to fit these things regularly on rather large engine doors for generating sets on ships for caterpillar . The doors they were lifting were a tad heavier than your average bed frame on an A class trust me.
And to those of you who have stated that you cannot compress one? It is all dependant on its capacity and its size. If its fully gas filled and none assisted without the built in recoil spring..yes you can. If its the type with the spring..then it can be a bugger but....it can be done.
I am using personal experience and I am only saying what it is that we have had to do and what we have sorted out .
Personal opinion but a tried and tested one frequently.

Kev

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Looking at the picture it shows the gas strut open at full length? If so ..The strut can be taken off and with huge respect to those of you who have said it cannot be done....It can with ease. We had to fit these things regularly on rather large engine doors for generating sets on ships for caterpillar . The doors they were lifting were a tad heavier than your average bed frame on an A class trust me.
And to those of you who have stated that you cannot compress one? It is all dependant on its capacity and its size. If its fully gas filled and none assisted without the built in recoil spring..yes you can. If its the type with the spring..then it can be a bugger but....it can be done.
I am using personal experience and I am only saying what it is that we have had to do and what we have sorted out .
Personal opinion but a tried and tested one frequently.

Kev

Personally, I think the strut shaft is just longer than the pressure chamber so IMO it is probably not fully extended, certainly according to the position of the drop down bed. I would proceed with caution.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Push bed up fully then further using a jack & length of wood from the floor. Use a spreader and cloth padding so you don't damage the underside.
Thanks, should doing that line up the two holes to insert the bolt into ?
I guess access is from the underside of the bed, working blind reaching between bed and side window ?
Oh the joys of owning a motorhome :mad:

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Working blind whilst lying on the dashboard most probably, sounds like fun. ?
Best to make sure that the nut you use is a Nylock nut. It strikes me that if the nut came off in the first place, it probably wasn't a Nylock one.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Can you get a ratchet strap around the gas strut? Use it to compress the strut enough to get the bolt in.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The safe way is the way I suggested. Despite other opinions the gas strut cannot be compressed BY HAND. The weight of the bed that the gas strut is supporting is not what determines the pressure required - it is the bed weight multiplied by the lever ratio of the lifting mechanism. Obvious when you note how far the bed moves from down to up then look at gas strut travel. It is only fully extended, with no weight on its mounting bolts, once the bed is above it's normal parked position - the weight of the bed in its normal up position is being taken by the struts so whilst they might be fully extended the fasteners cannot be undone. Please do not try a short-cut method: the weight involved and the pressure exerted by the strut, and the position you need to adopt to solve the problem, will cause either trapped fingers, a nasty blow on the head, or at best a twisted bed frame. If you jack it up and support it you can decide at leisure how to proceed. Raised the small amount necessary will take all weight off the lift arms and their fasteners so you can check all of them for tightness.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The safe way is the way I suggested. Despite other opinions the gas strut cannot be compressed BY HAND. The weight of the bed that the gas strut is supporting is not what determines the pressure required - it is the bed weight multiplied by the lever ratio of the lifting mechanism. Obvious when you note how far the bed moves from down to up then look at gas strut travel. It is only fully extended, with no weight on its mounting bolts, once the bed is above it's normal parked position - the weight of the bed in its normal up position is being taken by the struts so whilst they might be fully extended the fasteners cannot be undone. Please do not try a short-cut method: the weight involved and the pressure exerted by the strut, and the position you need to adopt to solve the problem, will cause either trapped fingers, a nasty blow on the head, or at best a twisted bed frame. If you jack it up and support it you can decide at leisure how to proceed. Raised the small amount necessary will take all weight off the lift arms and their fasteners so you can check all of them for tightness.
Thanks for your input. I spent much of he afternoon lying across the dashboard, I lifted and propped the bed up as much as I could but this still left the the two holes out of allignment.
No amount of effort seems to align them sufficiently.
My last hope is tomorrow I will try and drop the bed a little, climb up and try and compress the strut with a ratchet strap, then push it back up and see where it is then from below.
Failing that I`ll have to remove the strut, do you think a ratchet strap will be man enough to compress the strut ?
TIA

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No chance of compressing the gas strut in situ

I think you will have to remove the gas strut then do bolt then reattach gas strut ?

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
To remove strut, bed will have to be fully UP.. (gas struts then fully extended.. ie not compressed)

remove mattress to get the base to max height.. then prop up base with a piece of timber..

the struts should now be fully extended, ie no pressure on them, and easy to remove ..they should feel slack on the bolts.

remove bolt for strut closest to windscreen first .. the rear bolt..

replace in reverse order

Good luck

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Gas strut is impossible to compress by hand. Remove all bedding and curtains. Push bed up fully then further using a jack & length of wood from the floor. Use a spreader and cloth padding so you don't damage the underside. Attempting to replace the bolt without doing all of the above will not be possible - especially if you want to avoid cross-threading it. In this position the gas strut is not under load and can, if necessary, be removed /replaced.

That’s similar to how we did ours, it took 2 of us we used a piece of 17mm threaded bar eventually managed to get into place, put a nut on back, then put nut on front, added a second nut to tighten.

The threaded bar we used was about 300mm which allowed us to use it as a leaver as well as the bolt, once in place and fixed we cut of the surplus.
Good luck

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
To remove strut, bed will have to be fully UP.. (gas struts then fully extended.. ie not compressed)

remove mattress to get the base to max height.. then prop up base with a piece of timber..

the struts should now be fully extended, ie no pressure on them, and easy to remove ..they should feel slack on the bolts.

remove bolt for strut closest to windscreen first .. the rear bolt..

replace in reverse order
Why would I need to remove the rear bolt on the strut ?
If I remove the one near the windscreen, won`t that alow me to put the bolt in then reattach the strut ?
Or am I missunderstanding ?

That’s similar to how we did ours, it took 2 of us we used a piece of 17mm threaded bar eventually managed to get into place, put a nut on back, then put nut on front, added a second nut to tighten.

The threaded bar we used was about 300mm which allowed us to use it as a leaver as well as the bolt, once in place and fixed we cut of the surplus.
Was that with strut disconnected ?

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
No we did not consider doing that, years ago I worked in the coach building industry and know how awkward they can be to get back in place

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would remove the star lock washer or other type fixing from both ends, lift bed up and suppor and then remove the strut end furthest from the windscreen and then lower bed.

Jan 30, 2016
glos
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
15yrs
Having just replaced the gas struts on our Hymer Starline may I add a few tips and tricks?
Tools required:
Lightweight friend with strong hands and mechanical ability
Hydraulic bottle jack, wooden blocks and padding
Step for larger person to stand on in order to raise the bed on shoulders when small friend in inside the bed
Method
Remove bedding and place a sheet of ply on the slats for friend to lie on
Raise bed to 7/8 up position, held by the retaining strap and buckle at max length, see pic but bedding in place here
Insert friend, tests have shown that the strap takes the weight
Raise bed a far as possible and tighten the strap
This is not enough to extend the gas strut fully so that it can be removed so now apply a padded jack to the front of the bed first having made a wooden wedge to fit between the plastic below the bed and the steel structure at the windscreen end of the bed,
See pic: red X marks the wooden wedge, S steel frame, P plastic sheet, M mirror support
Raising the jack slightly raises the front of the bed and makes a firm fulcrum so that the last final adjustments can be made by the larger person pushing up fractionally at the rear of the bed instructed by the small friend in the bed who is feeling for the exact position when the strut is not pushing or pulling
This system reduces arguments and preserves fingers but it is best if the small friend is a potholer, caver or has recently had an MRI scan
Bed part lowered.JPG
Jack.JPG
Wood wedge.png

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Good work, do you hire out the small lightweight squishable friend?

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
These fittings should be checked annually for correct torque or at least being tight. This happened to me whilst driving and the bed dropped on my head, luckily I was already in a carpark at the time.
It took two of us to replace the bolt in the carpark, which I later totally replaced at home. The Nyloc nuts were replaced and new bolts were ordered from Hymer.
After this, I now check the whole lot once a year.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I hadn't realised I'd never updated this thread.
To get the bolt holes at the front of the bed aligned, I removed the gas strut completely.
This allowed for alignment with some manipulation and effort.
At this stage the gas strut was about 10mm too long to get back on the fixings
I tried compressing it with a ratchet strap but it didn't work, the strap too bulky and ended up obscuring the holes needed to go on the fixing studs. After further research, I found a funster who'd compressed the strut with large jubilee clips. I found I needed to join two together but it worked well to compress by the 10mm needed. This allowed me to slip the gas strut back into place, fix and the job was done.
Not a job I'd like to do again ☹️

Edit : good point about checking tightness of nuts, I'll do mine annually now too. Much better than trying to fix if the bolt falls out

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I am looking for a Hymer drop down bed assembly.

Will the bolt holes be on the van ?
I am hoping to swop someone for our front cupboard array.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

That's a heck of an undertaking :oops:
In the factory I think the drop-down bed is installed and the walls and roof added afterwards.
Others may be able to confirm that ?
That's if you can find someone wanting to get rid of theirs.
It might be more straight forward to change you van ?
In answer to your question, the frame the bed fixes to is almost certainly there on yours even though you don't have the bed. I think the seat belts fix to the same frame structure.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp

Think thats going to be some job, the beds/supports frames do differ so you'll be very lucky to find someone with exactly the right kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back