Hymer B584 1999 Retractable awning replacement (1 Viewer)

Lucky787

Free Member
May 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Hi everyone have just bought a Hymer B584 1999, does anyone know what type of Retractable awning is fitted to this model, the base plate/fixing plate is still attached to the van, I would like to get one to fit the existing plate/bracket, any assistance much appreciated
IMG_3535.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like a Omnistor now part of Thule may not be compatible with new ones.

I would ask Hill View Awnings.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I really like wind out awnings. It's great to have a bit of shade or shelter from the rain. But they've got very limited use. If it's even slightly windy, they have to go away. And you can't leave them out when you leave the van, in case it gets windy. And overnight they flap and creek when a gnat farts. And you can't use them at aired or most park ups.

Even when they do get rolled out, unless your van is parked in the correct orientation, the shade can be tiny.

Like I said, I really enjoy them when it's out, but it's a continuous dance. Given the cost and the weight, I'm not sure I'll bother for the next van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lucky787

Free Member
May 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
I really like wind out awnings. It's great to have a bit of shade or shelter from the rain. But they've got very limited use. If it's even slightly windy, they have to go away. And you can't leave them out when you leave the van, in case it gets windy. And overnight they flap and creek when a gnat farts. And you can't use them at aired or most park ups.

Even when they do get rolled out, unless your van is parked in the correct orientation, the shade can be tiny.

Like I said, I really enjoy them when it's out, but it's a continuous dance. Given the cost and the weight, I'm not sure I'll bother for the next van.
Perhaps that’s why the last owners took it off lol, bought from a Trader so no contact with previous owners love what you have said only owned caravans until now so am guessing you are absolutely correct thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lucky787

Free Member
May 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584

Looks like a Omnistor now part of Thule may not be compatible with new ones.

I would ask Hill View Awnings.

Thank you so much will follow that up, I have since found that there were 2 models fitted a 5000 and 5200, the 5200 being after 2014. Now need to ensure as you said compatibility

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you buy some of these and use storm straps the awning is unlikely to go anywhere unless it's a full on gale.

Lauyeboho 15”Dual-Use Groud Anchors(4 pcs) with Power Nut Drive and T-handle Hex Wrench ,Easy to Use with Drill or by Manual for Swing Sets,Sheds https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BCKL93DM?tag=mhf04-21

And one of these will reduce the flapping.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Do you know the model of the Fiamma fitted to yours at all
I have a 2003 B544 with a Fiamma F45 and find it quite useful but yes, sometimes the shade it offers is limited.
Clip on shade screen at the front can help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Wind or no wind we always use foot long steel pegs and the full storm straps.

Whilst I agree if the wind speed is likely to get into double figures I'll wind the awning in, we leave ours up for days at a time when travelling in Europe.
If it's put up properly, and correctly tensioned between the roof beam and the storm straps it does not creak and groan unless the wind really gets up.

With the Fammia Awnings you can get the slide on panels for the front, which triples the amount of shade.
(One of our members here makes his own version and sells them at rallies)

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Can you post a photo of the actual plate on your van? It would definitely help in identifying the brand đź‘Ť

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Wind or no wind we always use foot long steel pegs and the full storm straps.

Whilst I agree if the wind speed is likely to get into double figures I'll wind the awning in, we leave ours up for days at a time when travelling in Europe.
If it's put up properly, and correctly tensioned between the roof beam and the storm straps it does not creak and groan unless the wind really gets up.

With the Fammia Awnings you can get the slide on panels for the front, which triples the amount of shade.
(One of our members here makes his own version and sells them at rallies)
We did all that. Including adding the rafter and magic rafter pro. It helps. But it takes so long to sort it all, we found we were only doing it when we were stopping for a few days. And only then with an eye on the wind forecast. And you can't move the van. So for the couple of holidays per year where we will be stopping in one spot, we got a small drive away awning. Works in all weathers. Although you do have to detach the tunnel when it gets stormy or it gets noisy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back