Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We bought the above trailer last year, but have not used it yet, I have a Honda SH125 to put on it when we do eventually start using it.
I have mounted a front wheel chock to the bed of the trailer, but I wonder what other mods users have done to their trailers to make them more easy to use.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We sometimes use a ramp with it if it is easier due to location/surfaces etc

I was wondering if it would be better to do that myself, it would save all the raising and lowering ,as long as the ramp was fairly level, you could just drive the scooter up the ramp while walking beside it, saves a lot of faffing about, but would then have to carry a ramp as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Ditto just invested in a lightweight aluminium motorcycle ramp..200mm x 2150mm which is the same width as platform. It has two coated extension arms at the top end for stability during use and folds in half for ease of storage. Will try it out and post comments later ....Max load 340kilos

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Although the ramp is 200mm wide the actual usable tyre width of the ramp is 150mm so very suitable for my Honda PCX 125 (110mm) which I will largely be carrying on our trips. However it would probably not be suitable for Suzuki V strong which has rear tyre width of approximately 170mm.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I carry a Honda forza with ease. The easylifter works well when you get used to it.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I will be fitting a square section of tubing to the side of the bed so I can use a ramp this year. Last year I had a Honda S-wing 125 (160kgs), this year I will have a Yamaha X-Max 300 (180kgs).

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We carry a Honda SH300 on our Easylifter. I tried a 3 meter long piece of scaffold plank as a ramp before investing in a lightweight aluminium ramp. Even at 3 meters , the angle between the top of the ramp and the carrier was to much and the running board was grounding.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We carry a Honda SH300 on our Easylifter. I tried a 3 meter long piece of scaffold plank as a ramp before investing in a lightweight aluminium ramp. Even at 3 meters , the angle between the top of the ramp and the carrier was to much and the running board was grounding.

Did you manage to get around the problem?

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Did you manage to get around the problem?
In a word,no. I think if there was another or better way of loading a bike Anthony the guy who designed and builds the trailer would have thought of it. When I bought mine of him last year, he did say that from the original design he had made a few modifications and he didn’t think he could take it any further.

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
The lightweight aluminium ramp that I bought for this purpose is 7’ long (2150mm) is hinged and folds in half. The top section has a designed bow and I’m hopeful that when the two end prongs are resting on the hydras platform the ramp will sit flush to the platform.

My Honda Pcx weighs 125 kilos and I previously managed to push this up a steep ramp on to a scooter rack fixed onto the tow-bar of our Motorhome.

I have since had the scooter rack removed for a couple of reasons one of them being that the scooter rack platform was unnecessarily high though this was not the principle one. This was due to the tow bar/ball height fitment being higher than it should have been and in fact the tow ball height was not compliant with current legislation.

After managing to get the towbar lowered by 40mm I decided to go for the Easy Lifter solution. As long as the Easy Lifter platform when sat on its wheels is not much higher than 24” then I am hoping the ramps purchased should be fit for purpose.... we will see!!!!!

I bought a used 2016 easy lifter locally and Anthony is providing me with the necessary attachment for my swan neck towbar. It should be here next week so when I have this I’ll will try everything out and let you know how I get on.

I also bought a spare wheel from him just in case I get a puncture whilst on our future travels.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
The lightweight aluminium ramp that I bought for this purpose is 7’ long (2150mm) is hinged and folds in half. The top section has a designed bow and I’m hopeful that when the two end prongs are resting on the hydras platform the ramp will sit flush to the platform.

My Honda Pcx weighs 125 kilos and I previously managed to push this up a steep ramp on to a scooter rack fixed onto the tow-bar of our Motorhome.

I have since had the scooter rack removed for a couple of reasons one of them being that the scooter rack platform was unnecessarily high though this was not the principle one. This was due to the tow bar/ball height fitment being higher than it should have been and in fact the tow ball height was not compliant with current legislation.

After managing to get the towbar lowered by 40mm I decided to go for the Easy Lifter solution. As long as the Easy Lifter platform when sat on its wheels is not much higher than 24” then I am hoping the ramps purchased should be fit for purpose.... we will see!!!!!

I bought a used 2016 easy lifter locally and Anthony is providing me with the necessary attachment for my swan neck towbar. It should be here next week so when I have this I’ll will try everything out and let you know how I get on.

I also bought a spare wheel from him just in case I get a puncture whilst on our future travels.
I get the point about the ramp being bowed and it will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back