how to pay if its on Ebay please (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
So if you have chosen a MH on ebay looked at it had it checked out etc and are quite happy with it how do you pay please?

If it's through paypal your protected, but if its bank transfer are you covered, if its a private sale I presume they don't want to go trough paypal because of the fee's etc.

What is the norm please x

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've used a small Paypal deposit then either cash or an online Bank Transfer once I have seen it. Check before assuming Paypal covers vehicle purchases - ISTR they're excluded.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
I've used a small Paypal deposit then either cash or an online Bank Transfer once I have seen it. Check before assuming Paypal covers vehicle purchases - ISTR they're excluded.

Whats ISTR please :frowny:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bengie

Free Member
Feb 14, 2012
bournemouth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Private sales you take a chance but don't you with dealers to (see my post on rvoc on rotten roof). Price you pay needs to reflect that chance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Private sales you take a chance but don't you with dealers to (see my post on rvoc on rotten roof). Price you pay needs to reflect that chance.

Thank you where do I find it please ?

cheers jakki

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Last one i purchased (in fact last 3 } i paid cash,,,but only after HPI check,,,BUSBY..

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think that by the time you have got to the stage of buying it and assuming it was a classified ad on EBay not an auction, you would have built up a good buyer/seller relationship.
When I sold mine on Ebay, our buyers came to see it, gave me a cheque and then came back the following week to collect it.
I would have accepted the money by Bank transfer on the day though as it's the same as cash.
I don't know what sort of protection you are looking for. There will be no warranty against problems if you buy privately.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When I sold mine on Ebay, our buyers came to see it, gave me a cheque

From what I have read even when a cheque has cleared its possible to have the money snatched back.
For the life of me I cant remember where I read it though.

Im sure bank transfer is 100% safe though :)

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
From what I have read even when a cheque has cleared its possible to have the money snatched back.
For the life of me I cant remember where I read it though.

Im sure bank transfer is 100% safe though :)
If it was me when being paid by bank transfer I would make sure it had arrived and immediately move it to another account eg. a savings account.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So if you have chosen a MH on ebay looked at it had it checked out etc and are quite happy with it how do you pay please?

If it's through paypal your protected, but if its bank transfer are you covered, if its a private sale I presume they don't want to go trough paypal because of the fee's etc.

What is the norm please x
Just to reinforce what has already been said - you are NOT protected if you use PayPal for a vehicle sale. PayPal's safeguards only operate if the item sold is delivered by courier/mail.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The fees will be expensive for the seller so maybe negotiating a small discount may be worthwhile and pay them by bank transfer or draft. As above no PayPal protection on a vehicle anyway so nothing gained by using it.
I bought my first one from an eBay advert and once the price was agreed I got him a bank draft due to the 10k limit for bank transfer.
I arrived in banking hours and he called the issuing bank to confirm that they had issued the cheque.
All went smoothly and no problems for either of us.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
dont use western union or similar first sign of a scam dont pay untill the vehicle is in front of you and vin plate checked with hpi etc

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If it was me when being paid by bank transfer I would make sure it had arrived and immediately move it to another account eg. a savings account.

That's exactly what I did when I sold mine on EBay. Buyer paid small deposit, then when he'd seen the motorhome and was happy with it, we went to the bank together and he transferred the remaining amount into my a/c. As soon as he left with the motorhome I transferred the money into my savings account, even though the clear at the bank had told him it couldn't be returned once transferred.
As long as O.P has checked the vehicle, and us collecting it in person, I'd pay by bank transfer on the day.

Upvote 0

Wandering vagabond

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Derbyshire (currently)
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1987
Advice as above never pay until you have thoroughly physically checked the vehicle and do an hpi and m.o.t. history check before leaving to look at it.
The m.o.t. history gives you an idea of how the vehicle has been treated and gives a verification of the mileage ... although i have known one or two people who have disconnected their speedo every 6-8000 miles between m.o.t.'s although its rare, tyres, clutch, pedal rubber wear, wear to the steering wheel and gear knob also give an indication a vehicle has had a lot more use than indicated.

Rick

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Please please make all the checks that you possibly can get all the history from the seller and from .gov if it's a dealer pay by credit card, if it's private, however you pay your not protected.... do the checks..... trust me,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Thank you all again, great help for when we buy, just sometimes you need propping up lol xxx:dance:

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Please please make all the checks that you possibly can get all the history from the seller and from .gov if it's a dealer pay by credit card, if it's private, however you pay your not protected.... do the checks..... trust me,
Everyone needs to read this and perhaps talk to Garry, it's not a happy tale believe me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back