LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
As above, trying for the first time and cannot get it going! Using a gas lighter but nothing “catches”. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Deleted.....don’t pour petrol over it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As above, trying for the first time and cannot get it going! Using a gas lighter but nothing “catches”. Any help gratefully received. Thanks
I am assuming that your definition of a cobblestone is different to mine!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V Line
Exp
Returning after a long lay off.
I used to light them on a gas stove then put it in the cooker. They need quite a “strong” flame to get them going I found. Gave up on them in the end and now just use charcoal briquettes. Much cheaper and more heat.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I use either a kitchen blow torch or I put the cobblestone in the basket and light it with my portable gas ring, just be mindful sometimes they light really easily so take care if using the gas ring.

They have released a new type and they say they light much easier

Reactions: DBK

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Some of them only have the "easy light" coating on one side. It's normally marked on the vacuum pack but the labels do come off. Then choose an edge and keep the flame on until it takes. Some cobblestones I've had to rest it on a bit of firelighter block to get it going.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Throw the cobblestones and the Cobb in the bin and buy a proper charcoal BBQ. That's what we did.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We think the Cobb is a great bit of kit, the Cobblestones are a waste of time, we now only use charcoal in ours.

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
I love my Cobb, my husband favours lighting from the gas ring, I'd prefer not to set the MoHo on fire! Food safe wood dust based firelighters work a treat one I keep few in the carry bag.
Whole chicken is fab on the chicken rack and sliced Mediterranean veg on the griddle while the chicken is resting.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks all. I eventually lit a bit of scrunched up newspaper in the holder, held the cobblestone at an angle and it caught from the paper. I’ll check the package to see whether it indicates a specific side. If not, I may invest in a couple of the recommended small firefighters until I’ve used up my stock!

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Does it try to catch? Does it smoke at all?
When it starts to catch it kind of glows/sparks randomly (hard to describe) a bit like a piece of paper burns but don't burst into flame
If you don't get any of that then I would guess they are the old bad batch from a few years ago, do you have a pic of the box?
Never seen any label saying 'easy light side' and I have had my cobb for a decade but I have not bought any of the brand new recipe from this year
We normally cook the next days bread/rolls, then cook the evening meal, then use the wok to heat water to wash up and by that time the cobblestone is dying but just warm enough to keep the bosses feet warm
Dispose of cobblestone and pack away
Wouldn't be without it 👍

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10