How to get WIFI to my TV (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
On a domestic TV ,how can i use wifi from a router in a different room without having to run cables.
There seems to be (smart) tv /android boxes on sale but they seem to only be wired using a ethernet plug.
I want a smart TV on the cheap :xgrin:

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
A few weeks ago when in pc world they had a device that you plug in and attach an Ethernet cable to your router then the second plug is plugged in in the room you want it in and attaches to the second tv . TP link I think it was called.... sorry I'm not very technical but they assured me it would connect the second tv to the Internet .
image.jpg

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a "Justop" Android TV Smart Player wireless box .... does the job but is fiddly to use from the supplied remote but better with a wireless keyboard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Search "homeplug" it's the same thing as the pic above.. There are so many out there.
Also they operate at different speeds so if you spot a very cheap set, check the speed.. some are 200 and better ones are 500. Faster is better if you want to stream video.

http://www.homeplug.org/

NOTE... Using this supplies a wired feed into the TV, all smart TV's will have the required "ethernet" socket.. Some state as being WIFI BUT need an additional dongle that may be an extra purchase.. So something to check for...

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
how can i use wifi from a router in a different room

It sort of depends on what you want to use it for.

I have a tiny PC plugged into our TV which as a PC connector on it, so I can do anything I can do on a PC via WiFi.

If a bit on the techi side the cheapest solution ( £40 ) is a Rapberry Pi which can turn a TV into a media player.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
A few weeks ago when in pc world they had a device that you plug in and attach an Ethernet cable to your router then the second plug is plugged in in the room you want it in and attaches to the second tv . TP link I think it was called.... sorry I'm not very technical but they assured me it would connect the second tv to the Internet .View attachment 50532

I'm pretty sure the box things in the pic are on offer in Sainsburys. I mistook them for speakers yesterday...... You can tell how technical I am.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Most Android boxes seem to run better on WiFi than on Ethernet.

If you want to make your TV really smart get an Android box with XBMC/KODI pre-loaded or if you fancy a challenge get a cheap one and load it yourself.

Most smart TV's have limited usability and are really designed for pay TV such as Netflix etc.

An Android box opens up a whole new world of free TV streaming, which "they" don't want you to know about.

:cooler:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Been using davanne's "boxes" (they're called Power line) for some months at home where my router is 30 ft. from the tele - they work very well.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... I want a smart TV on the cheap :xgrin:
But is your TV a smart one to begin with? Some TVs have an ethernet connection but it is only for updating the firmware.

An option to turn a non-smart TV into a cleverer one is to buy a blu-ray player which can access the Internet and connect with things like iPlayer and other on demand services. We have a Sony one which was not expensive.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
how about this
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/?page=product_detail&product=14887
Full Description
introducing the latest generation Micro Media / Streamer - the Cyclone Micro 4 One of the smallest & smartest media streamers on the market!

The Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 is the 4th generation of best selling Cyclone Micro range of media players. This lastest edition enables you to stream movies or music from your PC or any Android device using WiFi to any TV.

The Micro 4 works on any TV - including older CRT Standard Definition TV, so you can now stream Netflix or movies stored laptop to even the oldest TV in your house!
The possibilities are endless with this little media streamer - play movies or music stored on your Laptop or Smartphone wirelessly on any TV in your house.

The new Cyclone Micro 4 supports all the popular 1080p HD video formats. The Micro 4 retains its trademark as the smallest and most portable media player but now with extra features!
Network Streaming: Using RJ45 network connection or WiFi you can now stream from your computer or NAS box. Now compatible with larger storage support: Now supports up to 4TB external storage or 64GB SDXC card.

Built in Miracast: Comes with peer to peer wireless screencasting technology, compatible with Android Tablets and Smartphones.

Surround Sound Pass Through Support: HDMI Audio & Video can be transferred through an AmplifIer then to a TV.

Specifications
Video Out: HDMI 1.3 interface up to 1080p,
Composite Audio/Video Audio Out: SPDIF Optical (digital audio),
HDMI passthrough supported
Video Codecs Supported: RM/RMVB, H.264, VC1, WMV, MPEG 1/2/4, Xvid, BD-ISO, MKV, MOV, WMV, TS, M2TS, MTS, FLV, AVI, DVD-ISO, VOB, M2P, MP4, MPG, SWF
Video Output Support: PAL, NTSC, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p/50Hz, 1080p/60Hz Storage Support: USB HDD (up to 4TB) , pendrives,Micro SD, Micro SD(XC), Micro SD(HC)
Miracast Support: Android 4.2 + Mobile phone or Tablets
DLNA support: Yes
Connection Support: 1x USB 2.0 Host Port, 1x Micro SD slot Network: RJ-45 LAN 10/100Mbps Wireless: WIFI 802.11 b/g/n 150MBPS
Subtitles Format Support: RT, SUB, idx+SUB, SSA, SMI, PGS subtitle Subtitle Codecs Support: Unicode (UTF8), ANSI, BIG5 (Traditional Chinese), Simplified Chinese, Western, Turkish, Central European,Greek, Cyrillic, SE European, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, Thai
image Formats Support: HD JPEG, TIFF, PNG, BMP, GIF

Whats In The Box?
Micro 4
PSU
Remote control
A/V cable
Manual

1 Year Limited Warranty

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Really easy way is to use a "wifi bridge"
I use them all the time for different applications.
Find this one very good and available on eBay. Just do an ebay search.
image.jpg

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It sort of depends on what you want to use it for.

I have a tiny PC plugged into our TV which as a PC connector on it, so I can do anything I can do on a PC via WiFi.

If a bit on the techi side the cheapest solution ( £40 ) is a Rapberry Pi which can turn a TV into a media player.

We have a Raspberry Pi in our van.. Great little media player, easy to conceal and uses minimal power

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back