How to amplify an iPod for music on the move abroad (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We have a 2010 AutoTrail Savannah with it's original radio/tv/sound system. The radio abroad is not much use as it's all foreign language and they tend to talk a lot rather than play music and the radio quality is not much good due to the aerial in the wing mirror.

I therefore use my iPod with over 2,000 tracks available. There is no connection to play the iPod directly through the AT sound system. I have given up trying to play this through the radio as the radio reception is so poor and the empty waveband I find soon starts transmitting as you move along.

I therefore play the iPod through a small 12v personal speaker though the sound could be louder!

Does anyone know of a 12v amplifier that I could use to boost the sound?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Assuming the van's radio doesn't have bluetooth just google bluetooth speakers. There are LOADS to choose from. You'll find them in your local supermarket too. We also have bluetooth headphones which are very convenient for individual listening but without wires tethering you to the pad.

Wyn

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I use a Jack to Jack cable and play it through the TV, but when parked up, could be done while moving but it would depend where your TV is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use a Bose Soundlink Mini bluetooth speaker. Highly recommend it.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'd consider changing the head unit for one with an aux in socket, job done and great sound quality on the BIG door speakers (y)

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I bought a blue tooth sound bar for the ipod and I use jack to jack for the tele, coz its a Cello and the speakers on it are awful.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Thanks everyone for the input so far!

The iPod is a classic so it does not have bluetooth capability.

I would change the head unit if I didn't have a wish/hope to change the van as soon as I can as we would like an A Class van so am trying to find a non-fixed in the current van/economical solution.

Having tried 3 personal USB powered speakers what is better about those proposed? My feeling is that I need an amplifier to boost the sound from the iPod which is only designed to push sound through ear buds/headphones.

I would have thought it could be put through the TV system but not achieved that yet despite trying a few cable options.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Does your van have a tape player? I used to use my iPod connected to a cassette type device which then played through van radio system.
It is surplus to requirements now so you can have it if it would help.

Edit, just realised it is 2010 so unlikely came with tape player.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Bose Mini as recommended above is meant for a Bluetooth connection but it does have an audio jack so you can easily connect an iPod Classic via the headphone socket to the Bose eg:

The Bose mini is more than loud enough for a MoHo unless you want the whole site to listen too (y).
There are certainly cheaper speakers on the market, but Bose sounds best to most ears.

If you insist on amplification then there are many many options such as:
Amazon Headphones Amp

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Some speakers marketed as Bluetooth have aux input sockets such as this one
Broken Link Removed

If you buy from somewhere like currys you can return it if not what you want.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
As an amplifier, I use a nuforce for the iPad through headphones , it's about 4cm square and recharges through USB sorry can't find a link

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Assuming the van's radio doesn't have bluetooth just google bluetooth speakers. There are LOADS to choose from. You'll find them in your local supermarket too. We also have bluetooth headphones which are very convenient for individual listening but without wires tethering you to the pad.

Wyn
Sorry, I read Ipad instead of Ipod. Ours (looks like the one @Robert Clark has) has a slot for an SD card. Is that any help!

Wyn

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Does anyone know of a 12v amplifier that I could use to boost the sound?

I'd suggest that you get a speaker with its own built in amplifier (others have suggested a Bose variant but I'm sure that there are lots of other suitable brands) with a mini jack/aux input.

Ian

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
IMG_0690.JPG

We have a Bose Soundlink and it can be used inside or out. It has 14 hours of play time on one charge so needn't be plugged in while driving plus it has tremendous sound quality and volume (can be heard crystal clear over road noise and rattles).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I find it hard to believe the radio hasn't got a Aux input, have you taken the radio out and checked the connections on the rear.
You say the van has Radio/TV/Sound System, if the TV sound goes throgh the head unit why not connect via that input.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We suffer from similar problems and have used small speakers which are just OK for music but crap for speach so we are trying out this next week as we head for Norwich.
Trials in the house sho it is much louder than the smaller units and it has a 3.5mm jack input. Will also do B-Tooth and micro card

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
We suffer from similar problems and have used small speakers which are just OK for music but crap for speach so we are trying out this next week as we head for Norwich.
Trials in the house sho it is much louder than the smaller units and it has a 3.5mm jack input. Will also do B-Tooth and micro card

What were your findings on quality for speach when using it in the house?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Do you have an Avtex tv? Most have fm transmitters built in, you could play yr music through it (y)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've got three of those cheap speakers knocking about indoors, all bought for less than £15 or so.

I eventually went the whole hog a bought a Bose mini, as mentioned above... Very expensive, £150 I think I paid, but by heck the sound quality is simply astonishing for such a small unit.

I would recommend this speaker without hesitation, I've no Idea how they get the range and quality but I'm very pleased.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
View attachment 174071
We have a Bose Soundlink and it can be used inside or out. It has 14 hours of play time on one charge so needn't be plugged in while driving plus it has tremendous sound quality and volume (can be heard crystal clear over road noise and rattles).

Snap!

Great piece of kit.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I did have a Bose Soundlink Mini, then I heard the Spaced 360 and sold the Mini to @PenelopePitstop who gave it to Rex as a birthday present. But after 3 years my Spaced 360 stopped charging.

I just replaced it with the new Bose Soundlink Revolve Plus. It is so much better than the Soundlink Mini, and the spaced 360 in both volume and sound. It's awesome, and coincidentally one of the first people to hear my new speaker was Rex and he wants one :D

Amazon product ASIN B06XPCKVQY

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I stuck all my music onto a compact USB stick which is permanently plugged into the MH's dashboard radio unit, running on random shuffle. It's like having my own private radio station with no blathering DJ.

As a point of info, many of those little USB pod speakers use the same voltage (3.7v) as a mobile phone battery. To extend the life of mine when its battery died I bodged a connection to an old unwanted mobile phone's battery compartment. I recharge the battery with a universal wall charger and it plays for ages. Not pretty but practical, especially when mounted inside a vintage radio casing. :)

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back