LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
After every long trip I take it to the hand car wash for a £15 wash job. (Shorts I don't usually bother) They do an ok job but not great so I tend to go home and get the leather out to try and fettle it a bit.

I have been looking on this site about roof washing tonight.. Its my plan tomorrow but my current stumbling blocks are my mum borrowed my Jet Wash and is away until Thursday and I have no idea how to get that high unless I stand on the roll bars of my Hilux which does not sound over safe.

Is it ok to walk on the roof? I weigh 125kg fully clothed.
not unless you lose weight to about 75kg maximum. you will split the seams if you stand on the wrong spot

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I've found the roof easy to clean having bought a 2.75m step ladder they allows me to climb on the roof through the large roof light. As I can see the roof from the bedroom window, it is as important as washing the sides

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I've had the Paintseal treatment on mine and you can forget all the foaming, waxing, polishing stuff - it simply needs a quick brush over with their shampoo additive - about 20cc per bucket of water and it comes up like new!!

Drive it through the rain and you get a cleaning action - it's that good - so pretty minimal cleaning required.

First saw it being applied at Premium motorhomes in Doncaster who use them to revive older trade-ins apparently.

https://paintsealdirect.com/commercial/

Warning - it ain't cheap!!

By the way - they will come to your home or premises to apply it - but need a dry day or covered area :)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Spit polished shoes, pressed kit daily, braso when required, so I can't help but pass it on to the jollybus.

Gets a full wash and valet as soon as it shows the slightest dirt or streaks. I get fully ridiculed by the other motorhomers if it's even a bit grubby:)
IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0627.JPG

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Every other week ....

As soon as any dirt appears it’s gone.

Though I haven’t cleaned it this week as I have been decorating so hasn’t been done for three weeks and is minging as I drive it every day.

Ive even been known to clean it in ferry queue....
D93A4BE2-DAF8-474D-8341-0A3B6DD065A8.jpeg

6276915C-C242-4071-BF31-5CB9C48DDE2D.jpeg

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Almost every trip even if it is just a rinse it’s only a hour or so as I tend to have a rain butt and pump so no lime scale.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
At least once a month it gets washed. Or after a trip away. Gets waxed 4 times a year. But it does get used not just sat on the driveway. (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Once a year if it is lucky. There is a rare occasion where it gets it twice in one year but that is usually after I have been parked at certain locations under trees for weeks at a time simply to get rid of the moss growth. Roof has never been washed. I can't see it and don't care :p Solar panels get cleaned at the start of the season though.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Traditionally girls are brought up and tutored into keeping things clean, I really don't want to upset anyone's traditions.:) Besides, she has 34' legs and very long arm's she can reach parts that I can only dream of.:) She does insist on quality rubber gloves though.(y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our van gets washed regularly but that's due to my OCD behaviour. I also wash it after every trip and quite often during trips too, i.e. to get the flies and crap off the front end. I always take a large bucket, sponge and shampoo dispenser on every trip.

What would the neighbours think if I turned up in some skanky-looking van.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Traditionally girls are brought up and tutored into keeping things clean, I really don't want to upset anyone's traditions.:) Besides, she has 34' legs and very long arm's she can reach parts that I can only dream of.:) She does insist on quality rubber gloves though.(y)

Hmm, didn't realise there was a (Fetish) branch of the funsters. Does swmbo insist on you wearing quality rubber snorkel and flippers as well.:whistle:;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our van gets washed regularly but that's due to my OCD behaviour. I also wash it after every trip and quite often during trips too, i.e. to get the flies and crap off the front end. I always take a large bucket, sponge and shampoo dispenser on every trip.

What would the neighbours think if I turned up in some skanky-looking van.
Agree about the flies on the front end. They do get removed regularly in case they get baked on.

The worst experience we have had like that was in Southern Spain, in May, when we were driving between two fruit farms. We ran into a swarm of bees that covered the windscreen completely. Switching on the wipers smeared them across the glass and, with the sun, it was impossible to see. I drove a couple of hundred yards, looking at the verge out of the side window, to get away from the bees then had to wash them off.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Lucky you! Have you trained her to wash the MH yet?

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Yep ocd for me too .. Van never gets dirty as always wiping with micro fibre cloth ( I use loads)....
Roof every six weeks .... & ...always wipe front if vsn down to get rid of bugs ... plus engine bay ...
silicone spray locks too ... I can't help it .
As for hoovering .... Every day ... I kid you not ...
Must dash as I'm a busy man . Windows !!!!!

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
A quick once over if it's starting to look a bit grubby and a more thorough wash if we are going away for a week or more. Plus each spring I spend a day cleaning it from top to bottom including the roof. It's not something I enjoy doing though and the automatic truck wash at work looks tempting ;):D

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I always intend to wash Celine after a trip but it usually gets left until just before the next outing.
I like to start a trip with everything nice and clean..................................then we get a couple of miles down the road and it rains so the van is muckier than before.

Richard.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Took on board advice from @FJmike and Charlie re good quality wax.
Spent three days this spring, washing, polishing and then waxing.
Coated the roof twice. Hard work at the time but well worth it.
Takes about an hour a time now to get it back to gleaming.
Not concours though!

On a slight aside is Charlie still on here? Tried the @ at the start of his name but not showing?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Took on board advice from @FJmike and Charlie re good quality wax.
Spent three days this spring, washing, polishing and then waxing.
Coated the roof twice. Hard work at the time but well worth it.
Takes about an hour a time now to get it back to gleaming.
Not concours though!

On a slight aside is Charlie still on here? Tried the @ at the start of his name but not showing?
charlie quit this forum a while back because he took exception to the way some people post aggressively

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats a shame, Charlie was always very obliging and offered his advice on many cleaning issues, shame that has left the forum, he will be missed by so many of us.
As for anyone that upset him....well, I hope you are satisfied now!
If Charlie is reading this thread, we thank you for all the help and advice, including your honest opinions on the likes of Paintseal products that are thrust upon us at The NEC or dealerships.
Its amazing that not many people knew the difference between Polish Treatments & Wax Treatments, well thanks to Charlie we all should by now.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I tend to wait until the black streaks appear which is not long as our MH parks at a slant and the black marks annoy me and make the MH look dirty.
I hate to see black marks so I do go out with Black streak remover and have a go sometimes . It’s a blue job !:LOL:
Is that black streak remover a good job ?? if so what make do you use as i seen a couple different makes when i googled it. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I tend to wait until the black streaks appear which is not long as our MH parks at a slant and the black marks annoy me and make the MH look dirty.

Is that black streak remover a good job ?? if so what make do you use as i seen a couple different makes when i googled it. :)
Fenwicks black streak remover!
51AE2E86-0B31-4B0E-BC45-28A04537DF8F.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back