How many amps can I bang into my leisure batteries without cooking them? (1 Viewer)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
So going back to the problem of two identical chargers giving different outputs when one switched off. I understand you are using the same clamp meter to take the readings. Assuming you are clamping around the same EARTH cable, the only way you can get different readings is if the current at the point you are reading is truly not the same. Assuming the cables from the chargers to the batteries are of the same diameter and length and that the two chargers really do output the same, the only way you can get a lower current flow is if the resistance from the individual charger to the battery is not the same and so limits the voltage applied to the batteries and the current passed.

I am assuming both batteries are correctly wired up, as in the first diagram, and that you are clamping the meter around the negative cable which is attached to earth.

1605124089241.png

Check both leisure batteries have a common earth cable. If they do not and one has a poor connection you can expect different readings.
Check the output voltage of each charger on its own, under load, is really the same as the other. Take reading at the batteries.
Check the connecting cable diameters and length really are the same.
Check any cable connections are in good condition with no chance of a high resistance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
12 volt Alternator wires fixed today so fired it up and getting about 41 amps from it, still not the full 65 but a marked step forward from 28.

While I was looking at the Alternator I also noticed a couple of pinholes in the exhaust. So for all those who think A Classes are hard to work on. It took me all of 45 minutes to get the pipe between the exhaust brake and the Silencer off. Its to the right side of this photo just underneath the exhaust brake. which slips out as you undo the bolts

20200817_171209.jpg

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nice one Jon, so conclusion is that gel batteries are excellent for longevity and value?
Yes Paul, its pretty impressive given the age of them.

Ive sorted out the engine charging, got a plan for the Solar and just need to decide whether or not to sort out the mains charging.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes Paul, its pretty impressive given the age of them.

Ive sorted out the engine charging, got a plan for the Solar and just need to decide whether or not to sort out the mains charging.
Looking good Jon, if solar and alternator are sorted mains charging should be the least of your worries, maybe think about swapping for a mass combi inverter charger one day (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
12 volt Alternator wires fixed today so fired it up and getting about 41 amps from it, still not the full 65 but a marked step forward from 28.

While I was looking at the Alternator I also noticed a couple of pinholes in the exhaust. So for all those who think A Classes are hard to work on. It took me all of 45 minutes to get the pipe between the exhaust brake and the Silencer off. Its to the right side of this photo just underneath the exhaust brake. which slips out as you undo the bolts

View attachment 441521
If the lever bottom right the exhaust brake Jon?

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Bit of an update, I sorted out the solar a few weeks ago and recently decided even though I'm not planning to spend much time on EHU I wasnt going to be happy with the current mains charging arrangements so Ive now now added a 40ah Sterling Charger as well. Its alittle busy in there but now looks like this

P1030777.JPG P1030779.JPG

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The Mh came fitted with an Efoy and a LPG dometic Genny. I'm still waiting for a starter motor for the genny which I Ideally want to retain but Ive totally removed the Efoy and will be ebaying it as spares or repair when I get round to it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back