How many amps can I bang into my leisure batteries without cooking them? (1 Viewer)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ive got a bank of 24 volt batteries (chassis) and the leisure batteries that are not connected to each other. My logic with a B2b has been to boost the charging by effectively using both alternators to charge the leisure batteries?

It is certainly another option to use a 24V to 12V B2B and put the 12V alternator on eBay. Not sure I'd want to add another alternator into that mix, although there could be advantages for winter wild camping. Get the bulk charge capacity up to 0.3C or 0.5C depending on chemistry and recharge your bank in not much more than an hour (from 50%) whilst driving.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It is certainly another option to use a 24V to 12V B2B and put the 12V alternator on eBay. Not sure I'd want to add another alternator into that mix, although there could be advantages for winter wild camping. Get the bulk charge capacity up to 0.3C or 0.5C depending on chemistry and recharge your bank in not much more than an hour (from 50%) whilst driving.
I'm not keen to ditch the 12 volt alternator, why couldnt I use both?

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Am I right in thinking that if I go Lithium they will cope with as much current as I can throw at it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Am I right in thinking that if I go Lithium they will cope with as much current as I can throw at it?
You would need to read the spec of your chosen battery but up to 1C so thats the total capacity in 1 hour, not good for longevity though so stick to 2 or 3 hours would be my choice, our LadeBooster is 90A into 320ah not sure what they fit if you just have the standard one battery.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

No, but they can take a lot more. Subject to specific model details, around 1C is typical, rather than 0.3 - 0.5C for various types of lead acid. Also bear in mind, though, that the LifePO4 can be discharged almost all the way, rather than just down to 50%, so a battery of similar usable capacity will charge in a similar time from its typical max discharge regardless of being a flooded lead acid or lithium. (i.e. lead acid can only be 50% discharged, so the halved maximum charge rate will take the same amount of time to complete).

Oct 17, 2012
banks
Funster No
MH
mercedes vario youngs con
Exp
Hi Jon our old clou had the same twin alternaters its a great system also had two 220 amp hr vartas we could last a week but if your fridge is on 12 volt and your not on hookup your lucky to get two days as they eat amps put a mulmeterr on and see what it says on the clou i had the solar putting out 24 volts whith an mppt the higher the input is it pushes better and the mppt regulates it to 12 volt on this slidy i have them at 96 volts with a top mppt when the suns out for a cupla hours we don t need hook up also check your 12 volt coming in from the alternater with the metermake sure it givin enough volts hope your enjoying the clou

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Jon our old clou had the same twin alternaters its a great system also had two 220 amp hr vartas we could last a week but if your fridge is on 12 volt and your not on hookup your lucky to get two days as they eat amps put a mulmeterr on and see what it says on the clou i had the solar putting out 24 volts whith an mppt the higher the input is it pushes better and the mppt regulates it to 12 volt on this slidy i have them at 96 volts with a top mppt when the suns out for a cupla hours we don t need hook up also check your 12 volt coming in from the alternater with the metermake sure it givin enough volts hope your enjoying the clou
Thanks Tony

Do you remember what output your 12v alternator was?

Oct 17, 2012
banks
Funster No
MH
mercedes vario youngs con
Exp
Jon should be about 14.2max 14.5

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Amps or watts i'm after, just be good to get an idea of what its supposed to do.

Yes really really happy with it and so is Sue, happy days!
65A on the spec sheet, get your dad round with his clamp meter.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Is the problem just because of the fridge situation, can you not just run fridge on gas then problem solved?

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Is the problem just because of the fridge situation, can you not just run fridge on gas then problem solved?
I don't run the fridge on batteries Paul just noticed that they were after me mucking about with it. Had to plug it in tonight. Its been sat on the drive since Sunday PM , been in it a few times and a bit of experimenting but no significant use. I'm getting more convinced that the previous owners EHU habit have killed the Gels. and the solar is doing not much even though we ve had a sunnyish day today.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I don't run the fridge on batteries Paul just noticed that they were after me mucking about with it. Had to plug it in tonight. Its been sat on the drive since Sunday PM , been in it a few times and a bit of experimenting but no significant use. I'm getting more convinced that the previous owners EHU habit have killed the Gels. and the solar is doing not much even though we ve had a sunnyish day today.

Yes it does seem like the gels are on their way out Jon, 440amp gels you should be able to leave them tons longer than that, we can ours.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes it does seem like the gels are on their way out Jon, 440amp gels you should be able to leave them tons longer than that, we can ours.

We'd be able to go around 3-4 days on those batteries and we DO run our fridge on electric.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Good luck sorting it all out Jon. (y)

Having just replaced the PCB module on our AES FF, I was experimenting this morning. When I unplugged the EHU, with the FF on the auto setting, it switched over to 12v, (rather than on gas as I was expecting), pulling 15.7 amps from the 4 x 80A Gel batteries. The 380w of solar was only producing just over 3 x amps with no sun, which is similar to your findings.

I can't stretch to LifePo4, but I do have all the gear needed for installing a 60A B2B anytime soon. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good luck sorting it all out Jon. (y)

Having just replaced the PCB module on our AES FF, I was experimenting this morning. When I unplugged the EHU, with the FF on the auto setting, it switched over to 12v, (rather than on gas as I was expecting), pulling 15.7 amps from the 4 x 80A Gel batteries. The 380w of solar was only producing just over 3 x amps with no sun, which is similar to your findings.

I can't stretch to LifePo4, but I do have all the gear needed for installing a 60A B2B anytime soon. ;)

Cheers,

Post 11 Martin says its normal Jock for Niesmann to do that, I can't for the life of me think why though, to save a penny or 2 on gas?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Post 11 Martin says its normal Jock for Niesmann to do that, I can't for the life of me think why though, to save a penny or 2 on gas?
Yes, I did see that thanks Paul, and TBH, I'd rather it didn't do that unless the alternator is running, or bags of sun for 12v solar power. :(
When I unplugged the EHU yesterday, it switched straight to gas..............as expected.

Cheers,

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No he didn’t quite say that, N+B run the fridge from the habitation batteries when you select 12v manually over AES, if you leave it on AES the priority should be 240volts, gas, then 12v as a last resort (not sure it ever uses 12v with D+) that is how yours was Jock.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, I did see that thanks Paul, and TBH, I'd rather it didn't do that unless the alternator is running, or bags of sun for 12v solar power. :(
When I unplugged the EHU yesterday, it switched straight to gas..............as expected.

Cheers,

Hi Jock

On AES it should only go to 12v with a D+ signal, if it is still doing it have a look and see if the AES light is on on the regulator, if it is it should only stay on 12v for 30 minutes and then go to and stay on gas unless as you say there is loads of sun,

Martin

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
so clamp meter should be arriving today from you know who

I'm wondering how I test the Gels? There's quite a big battery supplier in town but they re not doing testing because of the virus???? The garage I use for MOTs etc have a battery tester but I'm assuming this is for lead Acid, does anyone know if it will do the gels?

If my assumption is correct and I end up going for Lithium then what would I need to change regarding chargers?
I have 2 CBE mains chargers at 35w each with a gel or Pb settings.
Are they Ok to charge directly from the Alternator reg or will this need changing?
I'm going to change the Solar reg to Mppt regardless ( my earlier comparison between Clou and Arto was in August)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Morning Jon

If you are taking the batteries off just put a load on each one after fully charging, a headlight bulb at 55 watts for example will be pulling about 4.4A you can confirm this with your clamp meter, keep a check on the volts and time, take it down to about 12v and then how many hours it has run x the amperage of the load gives you ah, compare that to the 130ah ish that you should be getting and then buy some lithiums.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No he didn’t quite say that, N+B run the fridge from the habitation batteries when you select 12v manually over AES, if you leave it on AES the priority should be 240volts, gas, then 12v as a last resort (not sure it ever uses 12v with D+) that is how yours was Jock.

Just to clarify, this should have said "without" apologies for any confusion (y)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
a headlight bulb at 55 watts for example will be pulling about 4.4A you can confirm this with your clamp meter, keep a check on the volts and time, take it down to about 12v and then how many hours it has run x the amperage of the load gives you ah, compare that to the 130ah ish that you should be getting and then buy some lithiums.

:rofl:

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back