How long do you go back to your dealer . . . (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
. . . for Hab checks and servicing. As good as they have been, Becks at Rollesby could only manage an MOT for me in June as they were busy and now the other two are due but they are a 130 mile round trip away. Service is no problem for my local Peugeot dealer and hab checks can be done at home by a mobile engineer but just wondering should he find anything amiss I'd have to go back to Becks for the work as the supplying dealer (cap in hand). :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never went back to them at all. Didn't even use them for the very minor warranty niggles we had but I know that's quite unusual. I was lucky enough to find another dealer who was prepared to help me.

Either way once any warranty has expired there's nothing really tying you to the dealer.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We only went back once to have a couple of minor faults put right under warranty in the first couple of weeks.

All other work, (two small warranty issues) , two annual hab checks, have been carried out by a local manufacturer approved workshop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Damp check if going my dealers way I'll take it there as its half the price of getting done in the UK if not take it to my local one. Never bother with a habitation check capable of doing that myself.
Fiat part I wait until the 2 year warranty has run out then take it to my local commercial service centre who are about a ⅓ of the price of a main dealer.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Damp check if going my dealers way I'll take it there as its half the price of getting done in the UK if not take it to my local one. Never bother with a habitation check capable of doing that myself.
Fiat part I wait until the 2 year warranty has run out then take it to my local commercial service centre who are about a ⅓ of the price of a main dealer.
Should have said that FIAT annual service has been carried out by independent garage, not FIAT, using original FIAT parts, where necessary. Between half and two thirds of FIAT standard charge.

Has not affected warranty. We had instrument panel changed, under warranty owing to the "dim lights" well known fault.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We intend to return to the dealer for its fist checkup which I understand is +/- 3 months around the 12th month ( @Lenny HB ? ). Only because we will be passing and I feel if there is any problem they will have a moral obligation to see to it in a timely manner

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We intend to return to the dealer for its fist checkup which I understand is +/- 3 months around the 12th month ( @Lenny HB ? ). Only because we will be passing and I feel if there is any problem they will have a moral obligation to see to it in a timely manner
Hymer's don't require a habitation check for the warranty just a damp check, first one between 12 - 18 months from date of purchase (not date of registration).

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
I never rtn to dealerships unless there are warranty issues . If you can find a good mobile mechanic & alike mobile motohome hab technician then it will save you hundreds of £££s ...
Thankfully I can do a lot if hab work myself but I refuse to pay the dealer prices . Just a note ... with Mobile technicians ya can see what they are doing throughout.. & ensure all parts etc are actually fitted . Ie .. oil / air filters + oil ... cheers

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have been happy to return to our dealer - about 20 miles from home. Our last van we bought new in 2010, had a 5-year water ingress warranty. Decided it was well worth keeping in with the dealer in case we had a problem - fortunately we didn't. But traded the van in shortly after its fifth birthday in any case.

With the latest van - purchased from the same dealer - we dropped a request for some free hab services into the final stage of the buying negotiations. Hard for them to say no, because the cost to the business is significantly less than the cost to us; and perhaps more importantly from their perspective, it ties us into a longer term relationship with them.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Never been back to my dealer.
Hab checks done by a mobile engineer, NCC approved.
Had some ingress issues (Autotrail) but have taken it back to factory as covered by 10 year warranty (phew.)
This year, a small issue below a window, approved by Autotrail and re-sealed by a local repair agent..

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We use the main dealer we got the van from to keep the 10 year water ingress warranty valid.
Mitch.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Fiat part I wait until the 2 year warranty has run out then take it to my local commercial service centre who are about a ⅓ of the price of a main dealer
Our local commercial vehicle centre just happens to be Fiat Professional, wouldn't go near the main Fiat dealership since I found out they ship it out to the local van centre for anything that requires lifting.
Only go back to the Hymer dealer for water ingress check (until the warranty runs out) They wanted £630 a year for hab and vehicle servicing. I pay less than half that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our local commercial vehicle centre just happens to be Fiat Professional, wouldn't go near the main Fiat dealership since I found out they ship it out to the local van centre for anything that requires lifting.
Only go back to the Hymer dealer for water ingress check (until the warranty runs out) They wanted £630 a year for hab and vehicle servicing. I pay less than half that.
I pay about £120 for the Fiat bit and €70 for damp check.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back