How Easy is it to DIY add/Install Batteries to Home Solar Systems ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
As you may know, I have done plenty of off Grid motorhome installs. But I have never carried out any Domestic Installs.

Just wondering if its quite easy to carry out, as I am still trying to decide what to do here

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I've done a twin 2kW domestic DIY install but unfortunately not with battery storage.
Quite easy with the kit I have to restore the house, so a cherry picker to install the panels on an outbuilding made that bit a cinch. The earthing was a bit odd as I had to have a separate TT system and keep it isolated from the main house system. The inverters were easy enough but needed a phase signal from the grid so had to be tied. My cousin could OK that side of things but that limited the install to 4kW max. This also meant the inverters had to have the anti-islanding feature (most do).
I also installed surge protectors on the DC side just to protect from lightning as we are quite isolated. You need lockable isolators at the main supply and also AC and DC isolators at the solar install end.
I used all second hand stuff so spent about £1500 in total with all wiring, switches cabling etc.. so that have paid for themselves already.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Very Easy ...... its only wires, the inverter does all the work! for my install it was an single AC L/E/N into the inverter and a DC L/N from the inverter to the battery ....

of course there are isolators, circuit breakers etc

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You just couldn't resist turning it into a toilet thread. 🤣
Well I have people out of the shit !, you can get a Twusch for less than half UK price here...... €116 rather than UK €235

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I have people out of the shit !, you can get a Twusch for less than half UK price here...... €116 rather than UK €235

Twusch sell on eBay for £114 + £15 delivery to UK, a bit dearer but not too bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back