How does the boiler frost dump work? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Got to the storage site to check the van after being away without it during a cold snap recently. I'd forgotten to drain down. 12V was switched off. I switched on the 12V, and was about to exit the van to operate the boiler dump valve, when I realised I could hear water gushing outside. Sure enough, the dump valve had just opened. So, does this mean I must leave the 12V switched on for the dump valve to operate as designed? Never realised this. Or is something else going on?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Pretty sure my 12V wasn't switched on when it dumped earlier this year - might be wrong though.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The Truma dump valve works in the same way as anti scauld does in may showed by the use of a spring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JFD
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So you're saying it's nothing to do with 12V being on or off?
No not the Truma one it’s temperature sensitive, personally I like the use of a good old fashioned mechanical spring there is something quite re-assuring about it not relying on modern technology. There is a button at the base of the valve push it in and turn the tap if the temperature is to low the switch doesn’t stay in position. Once the Temperature rises just push the button turn the valve and you hear it click in to position.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
My Truma dump valve opens when either the temperature drops or I take the fuse out. Turning the main 12V switch on or off makes no difference. I therefor guess the 12 volt supply to the Truma dump valve is direct from the battery via a fuse. Unlike the video above mine has a red spring loaded button on top, once lifted it stays there until as mentioned above either temperature drops or fuse is removed.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My Truma dump valve opens when either the temperature drops or I take the fuse out. Turning the main 12V switch on or off makes no difference. I therefor guess the 12 volt supply to the Truma dump valve is direct from the battery via a fuse. Unlike the video above mine has a red spring loaded button on top, once lifted it stays there until as mentioned above either temperature drops or fuse is removed.
Which version do you have as the current one which has been around a while has no power connection as per the video.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
No not the Truma one it’s temperature sensitive, personally I like the use of a good old fashioned mechanical spring there is something quite re-assuring about it not relying on modern technology. There is a button at the base of the valve push it in and turn the tap if the temperature is to low the switch doesn’t stay in position. Once the Temperature rises just push the button turn the valve and you hear it click in to position.
Thanks. That all makes sense. But still not sure why the dump happened seconds after switching on the 12V. If it's temperature sensitive, and I'm not doubting you, it should have happened during the night before.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Didn't tuning on the 12v just start the water pump and the water you heard was just the now refilled boiler emptying.
It's a thought, but there was way too much water emptying out. The boiler would have never refilled so quickly.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Which version do you have as the current one which has been around a while has no power connection as per the video.
My MH is 2007 and the valve looks like these below.

index.jpg
194362-51d2255e900cd54184cd1f809853ec9a.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
probably the pump trying to fill the boiler but the water is coming out the dump valve as it was open
Hard to remember the exact sequence of events. Pretty sure it just poured out and stopped by itself. Not ruling out what you say though.

I wonder if the temperature control had somehow jammed/seized, and me climbing into the van shook it loose?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hard to remember the exact sequence of events. Pretty sure it just poured out and stopped by itself. Not ruling out what you say though.

I wonder if the temperature control had somehow jammed/seized, and me climbing into the van shook it loose?
I go with the pump theory, any water left in the pipes would just get pumped through.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
So, does this mean I must leave the 12V switched on for the dump valve to operate as designed?
:unsure: It's in storage, not being used.
Whether or not the dump valve is electrically powered, after the dump valve has opened and you've also drained the water tank and piping there's no need to leave the 12v on as there won't be any water to freeze.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
:unsure:
Whether or not the dump valve is electrically powered and the dump valve has opened and you've also drained the water tank and piping there's no need to leave the 12v on as there won't be any water to freeze.
Yup. It was more the next time I was worrying about. I'm starting to lean more to the theory that several of you clever buggers have suggested. The valve had already opened, and me switching on the 12V just started the pump trying to refill the boiler. Nothing else it can be really is there? Other than my bizarre theory about the valve being stuck and me freeing it up by jumping in the van. No takers for that one? :LOL:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My truma 4e only has a manually operated valve, you lift a little lever on top, it also acts as a pressure relief valve.
The fancy valves you guys have is an option for GB models according to the manual, which also states that frost damage isn't covered by the guarantee.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Surely the sensible thing to do is to drain it before leaving it in storage. Mines on the drive but I drained it to prempt a low temperature dump.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Surely the sensible thing to do is to drain it before leaving it in storage. Mines on the drive but I drained it to prempt a low temperature dump.
The problem when you get caught out, in the last week we have had days at 11° followed by the next day at 4° with an overnight below zero, which is not very normal on the south coast, that get that much variation day to day.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pump should be turned off regardless of dump type.

Diaphragm pump.....
Once the tank and boiler are empty there's no water at the pump to activate the pressure switch so the pump will either run until next spring or burn out.
They are designed to run dry......but for how long?

Microswitched pump.
If the 12v is left on It will continue for a while, as taps are left open, then it WILL burn out.
They aren't designed to run dry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Drain it, let it dump. What's the difference? You still have to refill either way. I use the van regularly throughout the year, so I don't want to keep refilling unless I have to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Pump should be turned off regardless of dump type.

Diaphragm pump.....
Once the tank and boiler are empty there's no water at the pump to activate the pressure switch so the pump will either run until next spring or burn out.
They are designed to run dry......but for how long?

Microswitched pump.
If the 12v is left on It will continue for a while, as taps are left open, then it WILL burn out.
They aren't designed to run dry
Agree. I always switch off the 12V when the van is in storage. But this was the first time the dump valve had operated and it threw me that water started pouring out when I switched on the 12V. As others have pointed out, almost certainly the pump pushing water through once it was re-activated.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Drain it, let it dump. What's the difference? You still have to refill either way. I use the van regularly throughout the year, so I don't want to keep refilling unless I have to.
I was referring to someone who was putting it in storage. If you are prepping a car for long term storage it make sense to empty the water as part of your storage prep. What if you left water in it and for some reason it got to freezing and didn't dump?

Of course, if you are going to be using it I wouldn't drain it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
So now I'm wondering how people take their motorhomes on trips to the Alps in winter? Up to now all my trips have been in temperatures above 10C or so. We will be staying overnight near Dover in January, (assuming travel to France isn't banned). Is it likely the dump valve will open while the van is being used with the heating on?

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
So now I'm wondering how people take their motorhomes on trips to the Alps in winter? Up to now all my trips have been in temperatures above 10C or so. We will be staying overnight near Dover in January, (assuming travel to France isn't banned). Is it likely the dump valve will open while the van is being used with the heating on?
On our Weinsberg,next to the dump valve (the type shown in video) there is a short cord which when pulled activates the “heating” : it opens a duct from the truma warm air system. So as long as you have the heating on low warm air is circulated around the valve keeping the temperature above the critical dump temp.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back