How do you dispose disposable gas canisters? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
A while back I bought a Cadac, the type that uses screw in gas canisters. It has worked excellently till yesterday when the flames died. No problem, change the canister and all was well again. The problem is however the old canister still seems to have some liquid gas in it, which I guess means I can't just throw it in a dustbin. Should I vent all of the gas off before disposing of it, or even then would it be hazardous? What is the safest way to get rid of them, or am I over thinking things and lobbing it in a bin would be o k? Thanks.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Take it to the nearest distributor of the same type of canister?

Don't think the bin's a safe option - you rarely get all the liquid gas out of a cylinder. I had a Calor 13Kg which was supposed to be empty, but every time I opened the valve there was more gas venting out of it, even if I left it with the valve open for a bit until it stopped.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Stick a screwdriver in it and then dispose of it recycling or trash.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Some sites specify NO canisters, but other than that, put in the recycling bins. Try to empty as much as possible though, if unable to cook using them, re-attach and burn off again after. Local tips may also take from them from you in a separate area. Do not pierce them as they are under pressure, even when nearly empty and is dangerous; as is crushing them.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Or do what we used to do as kids on the local wasteground, start a big fire and chuck it on - then run away as late as you dare !

What with that and other stuff we got up to especially around 5 November is amazing we all survived (relatively) unscathed!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Or do what we used to do as kids on the local wasteground, start a big fire and chuck it on - then run away as late as you dare !

What with that and other stuff we got up to especially around 5 November is amazing we all survived (relatively) unscathed!
Airosol cans are good for that as well(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I remember doing that & I think the plastic valve melted & the can took off like a rocket but didn't explode. :eek: Paint aerosols are good too until they explode & you get covered in paint cos you stood too near:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back