How do you clean the outside of your MH ? (1 Viewer)

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Professional 1.8 Metre Flow Through Wash Brush - Cleaning Brush for Cars, Vans, Trucks Etc.. - On / Off Tap

Amazon product ASIN B07B7CVWR4
Hello there !

I have to start thinking about how I'm going to clean the outside and came across this. Anyone have any advice or alternative. I'm not too concerned at this stage about cleaning products more about the hardware.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Loads of these type brushes out there generally ok you get what you pay for. I’ve used one for many years all ok, with a decent sponge and car shampoo to do the fiddle bits.
The received wisdom is do not use a pressure washer especially when wielded by a bunch of Bulgarians ( other Eastern European ‘s are available)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wash the big buts off first with a jet wash or hose pipe and then use an extendable flow through brush BUT with a bucket of wash N wax instead of the hose pipe then just rinse with the hose. It is worth drying down with a towel to finish.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, no pressure washer for me, I'm happy with the hose pipe. This particular brush is well put together and has good reviews on Amazon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, no pressure washer for me, I'm happy with just the hose pipe. This particular brush is well put together and has good reviews on Amazon. I'm looking for something that'll make the job easier

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Yes, no pressure washer for me, I'm happy with just the hose pipe. This particular brush is well put together and has good reviews on Amazon. I'm looking for something that'll make the job easier
Suggest your wife does it......makes the job really easy for you and it will be like an fitness class for her......it’s win win..

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Loads of these type brushes out there generally ok you get what you pay for. I’ve used one for many years all ok, with a decent sponge and car shampoo to do the fiddle bits.
The received wisdom is do not use a pressure washer especially when wielded by a bunch of Bulgarians ( other Eastern European ‘s are available)
I use local hand wash with Albanians and they are brilliant. They observe instructions (keep away from fridge vents etc) and do all the sills, scrub the wheels etc, £20

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
PVC so only 2.6m high. I use a stepladder, bucket of car shampoo, and microfibre mop with an extending handle for sides (it's an automotive one not a cheap mop meant for cleaning the kitchen floor). For the roof I have a long handled soft brush. Rinse off with hosepipe and garden spray attachment that mimics rain. On a cloudy day the wind dries it evenly and doesn't leave water marks. I wouldn't leave it like that in hot sunshine.

I also clean the windscreen and cab windows with glass polish every few months to remove road grime completely.

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just use a sponge, Clean off roof before washing sides. 1st wash warmwater sponge off ,2nd soapy water sponge 1 side at a time and rinse as you go ,then a wipe over with polish and wipe clean as you go ,7-8 hour job if you keep going lol.Enjoy.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I use local hand wash with Albanians and they are brilliant. They observe instructions (keep away from fridge vents etc) and do all the sills, scrub the wheels etc, £20

An E. European chap set up his first car wash in my village about 2 years ago and has now 4 sites with 3 or 4 fellow E. European (hard)workers at each. They charge me £35 though (wash incl. roof and wheels). My much travelled m/h is 6.5m long x 2.9m high. Two operatives take about half an hour and do a grand job. I take it to them March, July and September. It's the only wash my m/h gets apart from interim windscreen washes which I do when necessary.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hose pipe soft brush, take IT for a spin, to dry off, bit of a chamois, take a rest, maybe some lunch?
Then a leisurely Polish, followed by a sit down, clutching a beer,viewing the result, thinking , "I DID THAT!"

ONLY WAY TO GO! :drinks:

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
An E. European chap set up his first car wash in my village about 2 years ago and has now 4 sites with 3 or 4 fellow E. European (hard)workers at each. They charge me £35 though (wash incl. roof and wheels). My much travelled m/h is 6.5m long x 2.9m high. Two operatives take about half an hour and do a grand job. I take it to them March, July and September. It's the only wash my m/h gets apart from interim windscreen washes which I do when necessary.

Do they jet wash it?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Do they jet wash it?
Yes, plus sponges/cloths/brushes. I fit the fridge vent covers and show them where and how not to squirt. Never had so much as a drip inside. I've been taking it there for just over 3 years - perhaps 10 washes.
(Oh dear, now what have I said....? :unsure: ).

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
What ever extendable brush you use, you will still need a ladder to get up on the roof. I just use a ladder, over shoulder pump up spray washer bottle with lance attached, fill it with car shampoo & warm water, spray van a metre at a time, lance in left hand, micro cloth in other, rub off and repeat if necessary.
Meanwhile having fallen off said ladder, pick myself up and post advert on e-bay for my useless extendable hose brush, as when its extended and filled with water, its too bloody heavy, and I get soaked under it:mad:
Worse thing I ever bought as " A Cleaning Aid" apart from a hand held steamer that having cleaned oven, taps, crevices, blocks up with limescale, unless you love the smell of boiled vinegar that is.
Les...useful as ever(y);)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for all your help and advice. I'll be washing the vehicle (2.85 m high) on a quiet street outside my house so I can use a step ladder and a hose pipe. Can I walk on the roof (keeping away from the solar panel and skylights ) and do I really want to ? The vehicle is GRP and allegedly 3cm thick on the roof (anti hail) but I can't be sure.

Upvote 0

BabsnPete

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
Has anybody used Wet and Forget on the roof of their Motorhome?

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Professional 1.8 Metre Flow Through Wash Brush - Cleaning Brush for Cars, Vans, Trucks Etc.. - On / Off Tap

Hello there !

I have to start thinking about how I'm going to clean the outside and came across this. Anyone have any advice or alternative. I'm not too concerned at this stage about cleaning products more about the hardware.

Thanks for your help.
With a Pole.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Went to clean the roof of the Rimor four weeks ago. Fell off the step ladder and broke some ribs. Been off work since as it hurts more than childbirth. The missus has been supportive and sympathetic - not.
Decided that in future, going to pay someone younger and bouncier than me to do it.

For sale:
Pressure washer
Stepladder

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Went to clean the roof of the Rimor four weeks ago. Fell off the step ladder and broke some ribs. Been off work since as it hurts more than childbirth. The missus has been supportive and sympathetic - not.
Decided that in future, going to pay someone younger and bouncier than me to do it.

For sale:
Pressure washer
Stepladder

And the missus?

Upvote 0
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013

Hello there !

Thanks for your help.

Just ask the French, they appear to be experts with their vans always gleaming when you see them on their travels!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back