Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Hi All

In desperate need of some advice. On our last outing I noticed that the charger seemed to be cutting in more often and every 15 minutes or so whilst we were hooked up. When the charger came on line the lights in the RV became brighter, something I had not noticed before.

This morning I decided to take the house battery out to have a look and to service/clean it, first time in the 3 years I have owned it:Eeek:.

To my surprise I found that it was a boat battery. Made by Ever Start Marine Starting. The only other information on the battery was the cranking speed.

I would appreciate some advice on the following:

1. Is this the correct type of battery
2. Can it be tested like a normal engine battery
3. If it is a gonner can I replace it with a normal lesuire type battery, if yes will it be OK for starting the 3 kw Onan generator.
4. It may be possible to fit 2 batteries in the compartment, would this be better option.

Any advice, comments and suggestions would be welcome.

Geoff

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Geoff

Yes to the first three questions, on the fourth, fit the largest capacity that can fit in the available space, that may be one big battery or two smaller ones .. makes no real difference.. but go for the most capacity, measured in ampere hours ( AH) and buy ordinary cheap flooded lead acids (FLAs)
Don't waste money on gels or fancy names.. :winky:

OP
OP
GEOFFs125

GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Jim thanks for the info.

So I dont need to worry about the cranking speed for the generator, the generator will start OK with a good, high AH rated leasure battery?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim thanks for the info.

So I dont need to worry about the cranking speed for the generator, the generator will start OK with a good, high AH rated leasure battery?

Geoff

I have four cheap 85ah FLAs , now 3 years old, and they start the genny no problem and on a few occasions when I had a duff engine battery they started the 5.9 lt Cummins.. :winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I might be wrong cos i haven't checked, but it seems illogical for the generator to crank from the leisure batteries, point being that if house battery goes flat and you need genny ????
however, pressing the emergancy start button links all batteries together does it not, so you would get it, or the engine started no matter what
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Geoff,

I you need new leisure batteries, we do 110amp and 85amp ones.

85amp at £39.98 and 110amp at £69-74 plus £8-50 courier delivery for each battery.
Uk Mainland only. not Scotland unfortunately.

Regards

Peter

OP
OP
GEOFFs125

GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Good question Geo,

I have often thought of that myself, but have been too much of a chicken to try it.:Blush:

Maybe you could try it and let us know the outcome.:thumb:

Geoff

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I might be wrong cos i haven't checked, but it seems illogical for the generator to crank from the leisure batteries, point being that if house battery goes flat and you need genny ????
however, pressing the emergancy start button links all batteries together does it not, so you would get it, or the engine started no matter what
Geo

:RollEyes: Wrong. Logical for the Leisure batteries to start the generator. If you house batteries are flat and you wish to start the genny to re-charge? Start the main motor and then start the genny. Not ALL RV's have the emergency start fitted. It would also be illogical to use the motor battery to start the genny all the time as eventually the motor battery would then be flat and the genny would NOT re-0harge it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have'nt got a flat battyery to try it with,:winky: and would have to disconect 2 x 135 AH to try it:cry:
You have yours out already, go on crank the genny if it wont work press the E/Start button and get someone to start genny you know you want to:ROFLMAO:
Geo

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Geoff, the 28A Dutchmen only ever came with one leisure battery and the Ever Start will be the original US battery so is probably past its sell-by date (You've done well to get three years use out of it! :roflmto: )

In order to fit a second battery you will need to extend the battery tray as there will only be facility to hold one unit.

If you need any help, feel free to give James a buzz at work.

Regards
Linda

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Battery prices have rocketed:RollEyes:

I'm thinking of changing mine soon:Doh::cry:

OP
OP
GEOFFs125

GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Hi Linda

I have a cunning plan, which includes 2 x 85 AH batteries that will fit across the exsisting tray. Slight problem is the ones that I have looked at on the net are 255 mm length, need to find some that are 250mm. I am sure there are some out there.:ROFLMAO:

Just need to keep looking

Recived the belt on Saturday :thumb:

Could you please thank James for the advice he gave me re my starting problem, engine wise that is. Traced the problem to the starter motor brushes, managed to get some ones locally and with a bit of filing and some soldering I now have a starter motor that bursts ito life at every turn of the key.

Now back to the search for those batteries

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
No worries Geoff ::bigsmile:

JC is great scared my genny into working and never touched it (not worked for 6 month) he just looked at it and it burst into life:winky::thumb:

On a more serious note his knowledge and advise is extremely useful:thumb: as someone who has rung him more than once:winky:

Last edited:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Re battery delivery.

When did Scotland leave the UK mainland?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
One or two Scots on here might like to know when Scotland joined the UK:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Aint that right Jim and Jock:thumb:
Geo
Thought I'd better add, knowing the Scots passion for all things factual and historical they could proberbly tell me, and who was responsable

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back