Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hello

Bit mystified; I have an unlimited data plan with Virgin. I use my iphone 6se as the tether which has, for three years, worked allowing me to connect my iPad and latterly, my Kindle 4K Fire-stick, to the internet whilst travelling in Europe.

We're now in Denia and yesterday, both the iPad and the Firestick would not connect to the iPhone hotspot. The Fire-stick and the iPad can see the iPhone, but simply will not connect to it. Sometimes it connects, asks for the password but when entered then gives a message "Unable to join network".

I've tried turning off both the iPad and the iPhone and then turning them on again. Tried switching off then on again, wifi, mobile data. I've also reset network settings on both devices. Strangely, I can connect the iPad to the iPhone using Bluetooth but this isn't an option for the Fire-stick, so far as I understand. It's baffling that it's worked right up until yesterday then glitch after glitch!

Any suggestions most welcome.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Have you been away a while?

Have they cut you off

Spent yesterday trying to get answers about their fair use policy for extended travel but failed as their staff dont understand it either.

I would have assumed that if this is the problem, you would have received messages from them beforehand.

(Sorry, just re-read your post and realised your phone must still be working OK, so has not been cut off.) Would be interested though in whether you go away for more than a few weeks, if you do, have you ever had a problem with Virgin's fair use 4 month rolling nonsense policy.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, thanks for your reply. No, I’ve not received a message warning me pf being cut off. And the iphone itself gets the internet. its just the hotspot playing up. Strangely, my ipad and iphone connect with no problem ising bluetooth. so my bewilderment continues!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Unlimited data with Virgin is limited abroad - use the calculator on their website and tick 'Unlimited data':

However, this isn't related to the issue you're experiencing. I would in fact look to disable all Bluetooth on all of your devices - phones, speakers, iPads etc as this can sometimes cause interference. Also disable all other WiFi sources other than the phone's hotspot. When you get an 'unable to connect' or 'password incorrect' message it's usually as a result of some interference within close proximity.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Unlimited data with Virgin is limited abroad - use the calculator on their website and tick 'Unlimited data':

This seems at odds with this........

Fair Usage Policy – Extended Travel
I’m going travelling around the EU for 14 weeks. Will I be breaking the Fair Usage Policy?

Not necessarily. Here’s how the Fair Usage Policy works. In every rolling 4 month period, you must use more data, calls and texts in the UK than the EU or spend more time in the UK than away somewhere else.
So, if you’ve used your phone more in the UK than you have in the EU within the last 4 months, you can still use your allowance whilst travelling without incurring a surcharge.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The data plan restriction is interesting, if you buy a domestic U.K. O2 data sim it will not work in Europe. However subscribe to an O2 business data sim and we experienced no issues.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
When you say turned off and on again, was that a hard reset? (both home and on/off switch held simultaneously for a few seconds). I have had a similar issue with mine sometimes playing up and that action always cured it

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This seems at odds with this........

Fair Usage Policy – Extended Travel
I’m going travelling around the EU for 14 weeks. Will I be breaking the Fair Usage Policy?

Not necessarily. Here’s how the Fair Usage Policy works. In every rolling 4 month period, you must use more data, calls and texts in the UK than the EU or spend more time in the UK than away somewhere else.
So, if you’ve used your phone more in the UK than you have in the EU within the last 4 months, you can still use your allowance whilst travelling without incurring a surcharge.

The FUP is the point at which they can charge you for your use, the point was rather it's not 'Unlimited'. I've had customers with various issues on this plan because it's not clear exactly where the threshold is.

The data plan restriction is interesting, if you buy a domestic U.K. O2 data sim it will not work in Europe. However subscribe to an O2 business data sim and we experienced no issues.

You can roam in Europe with an O2 SIM, but not a consumer O2 Mobile Broadband SIM. You can roam in Europe with a business Mobile Broadband SIM however.

What's not included?
Mobile broadband tariffs, as they can only be used in the UK.

Never been a fan of O2 due to their traffic management policy which can drop your speeds down to 1Mbps in Europe.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As Addie says it may be an interference thing. Also double check you are trying to connect to your hotspot and not someone next door who's phone has a very similar name. I would suggest take your phone and a tablet on a walk together and when you are well away from other vehicles and buildings try again. You should also try getting the tablet to "forget" the iphone network so you have to re-enter the pin.

Completely unrelated but to show how interference can cause problems I've been playing around with a home made radio gadget which transmits on 434Mhz. A lot of other gadgets use 433Mhz and while I've been playing with this I've discovered my device disabled the remote locking on the car and MH, interferes with the remote oil tank sensor and when it was in the car and while driving the tyre pressure monitoring system had an attack of the vapours. The remote locking worked as soon as my device was turned off but the other two took some time to recover. :)

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When you say turned off and on again, was that a hard reset? (both home and on/off switch held simultaneously for a few seconds). I have had a similar issue with mine sometimes playing up and that action always cured it
yes. a hard reset.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I have had the same problem with my iphone SE not talking to to my laptop, kindle or tablet. John has the same phone but a bigger memory, we have checked settings on phone and laptops and they are the same on both, he has the same laptop which does connect to my phone! my laptop will connect to his phone too it's a mystery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back