Hospitals in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It may help some people to understand a little about the Spanish health system.
First off, make sure you have either an EHIC card or good insurance cover.
My wife was hit by a car while cycling on a marked cycle path.
Even while still lying on the road, the question of financial cover was raised. Saying we had a blue card, enabled the ambulance to take her to a local hospital, where she lay without any treatment until I produced the EHIC card. Immediately drugs were given and transport to a major hospital was carried out.
The private hospital would have allowed me to stay with my wife in the second bed in her private room had I not had a motorhome sitting in a car park.
Almost nobody, including the surgeon, spoke English but in spite of that major surgery was carried out within 24 hours ( a new hip).
It seems that most Spanish families spend time with their loved ones in hospital and provide the smaller necessities although all medical details are scrupulously attended to.
After finally being released from the hospital, with paperwork itemising everything to do with the treatment, a list of further drugs is given to take to a pharmacist. This must be paid for at the pharmacy and can be quite expensive, in our case over £100 worth of drugs. Follow up meetings with consultants is free and worthwhile. Items like wheelchairs, crutches and other items are down to you to buy or rent.
Some of the procedures differ from treatment in the U.K. and I am sure between one Spanish hospital and another. We were fortunate to have been in the main hospital in Puerto de Santa Maria about whom I have the greatest respect.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I’m so sorry to hear about your wife’s accident but glad she is on the road to recovery.
I’m glad you highlighted the need for EHIC card and insurance to be without them it is a costly thing .

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Very informative and happy to hear your wife is recovering,Can I ask if you are over 65 years old?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Good advice.

A few other points to be aware of...

There is no such thing as an NHS ambulance in Spain (nor in many other mainland European countries). All ambulances are private and will bill you /your insurer f or their service.
Make sure you insist on being taken to a Spanish NHS hospital if you don't have private medical insurance cover. If you are taken to a private hospital, the costs you will be required to pay are very very substantial.

In Spain nurses do nursing. That is they do medical nursing.
They do it brilliantly.
But they DO NOT do "hotel services".
Don't expect nurses to fetch, carry, bring food, change your TV channel etc. In Spanish culture that is what family does.
That's why in almost every hospital room there's a put-you-up couch... for family members to take turns visiting /staying over with the patient to bing them food., newspapers, change clothing, etc.
If you don't have family to support you there, you can hire such assistance privately in the hospital... And you pay for it.

The Spanish NHS system is superb.
There are almost no waiting lists.
But it's not the UK free for all NHS. They Will check whether you're entitled to treatment before they provide it, and you WILL be required to pay for anything over and above basic emergency necessary medical treatment.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
@rosalan a difficult painful experience for your wife , I wish her a good speedy recovery.
I also had a painful experience earlier this year on board a flight to Tenerife and ended in a private hospital not being given a choice even if I were in a position to do so.
Fortunately I had good insurance and the hospital staff made contact with them before procedures commenced, an experience to remind us of the need to be prepared for such eventualities.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I hope your wife continues to make a good recovery. It is quite q different system. Having grown up with the E111 and the EHIC card I have usually not taken out travel insurance for trips to France, Spain and Italy. After reading your post I will try to remember that I need travel insurance for all trips, if the EHIC card is no longer accepted.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Good advice.

There is no such thing as an NHS ambulance in Spain (nor in many other mainland European countries). All ambulances are private and will bill you /your insurer f or their service.
Make sure you insist on being taken to a Spanish NHS hospital if you don't have private medical insurance cover. If you are taken to a private hospital, the costs you will be required to pay are very very substantial.

They do it brilliantly.
Don't expect nurses to fetch, carry, bring food, change your TV channel etc. In Spanish culture that is what family does.
That's why in almost every hospital room there's a put-you-up couch... for family members to take turns visiting /staying over with the patient to bing them food., newspapers, change clothing, etc.
If you don't have family to support you there, you can hire such assistance privately in the hospital... And you pay for it.

But it's not the UK free for all NHS. They Will check whether you're entitled to treatment before they provide it, and you WILL be required to pay for anything over and above basic emergency necessary medical treatment.

In St. Tropez in 2010, we called SAMU. It was free of Charge.
Medical advice was free (Daughter had suspected broken rib rather than a Heart attack)
Initial, small amount of Pain killing Medication was free
Mercedes S-Class Limousine was the only Taxi Available to return us back down the road to campsite, €50

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi jimbohorlicks. My wife is 73
We have Lloyds travel insurance as part of our Debit card but it was the EHIC card that covered all hospital and ambulance expenses, which I was advised could be in the region of 30,000e, including 10 days in a private hospital, which is enough to discourage travelling without cover. Had she needed to fly home, another 3 to 5000e could have been added.
All these expenses through no fault of her own.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi
the reason I asked was that my wife had to visit a hospital in Northern Spain in order to obtain a prescription for a water infection.
The doctor asked that we were "pensioners", nodding his head, we indeed are pensioners and when we collected the prescription we were charged 80 cents-the rate for EU pensioners.
Were you able to claim of the motorist for any costs or does your insurance do that?
pm sent

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Good advice.

They do it brilliantly.

Well i went to hospital by ambulance in Spain only had E111,,,no private insurance at the time so i suppose the ambulance must have billed NHS uk because i didn't pay...BUSBY.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Brilliant advice,, but it’s unfortunate you and especially your wife had the experience,,,

I hope recovery is swift, and painless!

Xx

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Sorry to hear of your wife's misfortune. Hope her recovery is going well. What an excellent thread. and a reminder to us all to ensure we have adequate insurance cover when traveling abroad.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Claiming off the motorist, was not our first concern as you may imagine. The hospital advised us strongly to inform Mapfre, a Spanish insurance group. I did this but they were not interested unless the other driver walked into their office and admitted fault.
The incident has made a significant dent in our lives and expenses, so we will investigate further when we get home. The Lloyds travel insurance should cover out of pocket expenses.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Claiming off the motorist, was not our first concern as you may imagine. The hospital advised us strongly to inform Mapfre, a Spanish insurance group. I did this but they were not interested unless the other driver walked into their office and admitted fault.
The incident has made a significant dent in our lives and expenses, so we will investigate further when we get home. The Lloyds travel insurance should cover out of pocket expenses.

Our travel insurance is with Lloyds (Axa) and they dealt with our claim promptly and completely, they dealt direct with the hospital in Tenerife and two days after our return rang me to check on progress and assist with expenses claim which covered medication, taxis , and curtailment of holiday, and all settled within a couple of weeks.
A really useful benefit with a bank account .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Most UK card health coverage is usually only available if you are a UK resident.
I.e. I have UK bank accounts but registered to my Spanish address. The medical coverage does not count I was informed.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Most UK card health coverage is usually only available if you are a UK resident.
I.e. I have UK bank accounts but registered to my Spanish address. The medical coverage does not count I was informed.
I do believe that you may need to be a British taxpayer to claim health benefits..

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
I had my Gall bladder removed this year in Spain. All on my EHIC card. Excellent service and care.
Only shock was when they came round with breakfast " Crusty cob and olive oil" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
During our present stay, the crusty cob and olive oil has become an almost daily ritual. Almost everywhere "Tostada" is available. We like it with tomatoes although ham and other assorted toppings are available. The olive oil replaces butter and varies in flavour from place to place.
My wife hates the olive oil and uses salt instead.

Deleted User
Typical Andalucian breakfast, Tostada con Tomate y Jamon, oil on the side, tomate is fresh pulp and quite often in a jar on the bar, delicious :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back