Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
Me again! The pitch we are going onto is fully serviced and last time we had a pitch like that, we needed a hose to fill up the water tank, but to date we haven't got one, so looking now. Is there any particular type, size i need to get and what length would you recommend please? Linda

Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Linda

Just make sure you buy a food grade hose and an attachment for the tap end/MH end. Something like this would work, a quick google search will bring up loads. The length is up to you, I brought a 10m hose and that has worked on all pitches so far.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayandLinda

RayandLinda

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have been looking at these, but not sure about the connections. I will have another look and get one ordered. thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would suggest a short one and a longer garden hose type thing, if your short one is about 4 or 5 metres it will be long enough for most places and saves you getting your longer one out, but the longer one will sometimes be needed if you can't get close, but you don't want to be getting a long one out all the time for close taps.
Something else you will need is a good variety of connectors for the different sort of taps you may come across.

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
So far I have only needed this type of connector

I only have a 10m so I can reach my outside tap at home, I use this to fill a small amount before travelling. It can be a bit of an overkill once on a pitch, however it works

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What's wrong with the hoses you normally fill up with?
We carry a 3m & 7m that can be joined and a 20m roll flat for the odd time we can't get to a tap. It doesn't need to be food grade as long as you buy a decent quality hose.

1593589797023.png

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hi Linda

Just make sure you buy a food grade hose and an attachment for the tap end/MH end. Something like this would work, a quick google search will bring up loads. The length is up to you, I brought a 10m hose and that has worked on all pitches so far.

Why food grade???? Any good quality hose will suffice as long as kept solely for filling motorhome.

Upvote 0

F.M.C.Fourier

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 724FB
Exp
Since 1987
On the question of connectors, despite having a connector similar to this:

1593589788271.png

I have never been anywhere where I needed anything other than these standard connectors:
Untitled-1.jpg

As for hoses, I do have a food grade hose but I never understand why! After some years it must surely develop bacteria and I would never dream of drinking the water from my fresh water tank anyway. The best thing about my hose is not that it is food grade but that it is on a reel and tidies up nicely and does not need a lot of room to store.
1593590220377.png

Upvote 0

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
We have three cloth covered collapsible hoses, they have silicone tubing cores so good for being non-toxic and they weigh a lot less and take up less room than the usual hoses folk have and they stretch to about 1/3rd extra length. They're also much, much easier to pack away after use.
We have had others, but these we have found to be the best option for the above reasons. The three hoses we have are enough that if I can see the tap with my binoculars, we can reach it....😁
As for connectors, get a full adaptor kit for all tap thread sizes and a jubilee type tap adaptor for the unthreaded ones and you wont get caught out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayandLinda

RayandLinda

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
What's wrong with the hoses you normally fill up with?
We carry a 3m & 7m that can be joined and a 20m roll flat for the odd time we can't get to a tap. It doesn't need to be food grade as long as you buy a decent quality hose.

View attachment 403194
We don't have a hose at all. We don't have a big garden so never needed one. Ray uses water jacks and a funnel to fill up normally and only just puts enough in, but i want to do things properly so will get a hose. Thank you

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years

Just got the above. I measured all the shorter lengths I carried and they were 40m, heavy and a pain to use. This is great! Self empties most of the water, compact and light and 30m long.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I always would use and recommend food grade and caution with how you store it and look after it and not too long, 2x5 metres and a joining union. My reasons for sticking with this? Some 15 years ago I had severe respiratory problems tat led to the HSE pinning it down to bacterial contamination in a hose in my workshop. Basic advice was to use a food grade hose and always drain after use and store off the ground.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If your pitch has a tap there is no need to fill your kettle from your onboard fresh water tank, surely.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don’t understand the food grade hose thing. The pipe work right up to the tap isn’t food grade so what’s the point of having the last few metres food grade?
In theory chemicals, solvents, whatever, can leech out of the plastic of conventional hose. In practice, even if that happens / matters provided the hose is flushed before use (good practice anyway) there won't be time for anything to contaminate water as it rushes through.

Probably a secondary advantage is more profit from sales 😏.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It depends on budget and storage . Rigid hoses take up space and can be a pain to store if of a certain length. Roll flat hoses can be a great idea but you have to fully unwind before it can be used. The new types that are currently on the market that stretch to 3 times their size are what we use to be honest. Regards the bacterial issues...throw plenty of Aqua tabs in the water tank and boil your water. If its good enough for the services (Armed /air/ sea etc) its good enough for me. (y)
As someone has already mentioned too...they empty themselves when removed from the tap . Far easier to store and currently a 30 meter is from £16 upwards ;)

Kev

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I don’t understand the food grade hose thing. The pipe work right up to the tap isn’t food grade so what’s the point of having the last few metres food grade?

Ahh one of life’s great mysteries 😊

Along with why people don’t use their cassette toilet to its full abilities 😉😊

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years

It probably is, that’s why lead pipes are no longer used.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We carry a watering can that is soley used for filling with tap water, a collapsible hose, an assortment of hose lock nozzles, a short length of solid hose.
Never used the collapsible hose yet. And predominantly used the watering can or a couple of 15 litre water carriers. Plus we also use the 5 litre drinking water bottles for drinking water and brews. We top these up at the site taps also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayandLinda

RayandLinda

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
If your pitch has a tap there is no need to fill your kettle from your onboard fresh water tank, surely.
i don't want to be running back and fore to a tap outside. I use bottled water in my kettle anyway, but want water in the tank for the shower and toilet etc

Upvote 0

rbescape

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Since 2018
We have a 100ft expandable one for filling up and a smaller rigid one for when we have a tap on the pitch. I haven't bothered with food grade as anything that goes in the tank is boiled if we're drinking it.

I flush the tanks through before we go away if it's been standing for a while.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back