Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
Me again! The pitch we are going onto is fully serviced and last time we had a pitch like that, we needed a hose to fill up the water tank, but to date we haven't got one, so looking now. Is there any particular type, size i need to get and what length would you recommend please? Linda

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Me again! The pitch we are going onto is fully serviced and last time we had a pitch like that, we needed a hose to fill up the water tank, but to date we haven't got one, so looking now. Is there any particular type, size i need to get and what length would you recommend please? Linda
If you really want to make full use of the serviced pitch a corrugated waste pipe might be useful. It needs to be big enough to fit over your drain tap and long enough to reach the drain point. But I wouldn't bother even though we carry a short length. :) What you will need instead is a bucket of some sort which will fit under the drain tap. This means it can't be too high. You could use a small washing up bowl but a collapsible bucket is what we use and we carry two because that reduces the number of journeys to the disposal point. :)

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We've a long flat pack food grade hose.
But mainly we use a floppy 20Lt bucket with an external water pump. Our MH has a handy power socket for the pump.
We've also got a funnel for an alt. way to add water :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depending on where you travel you may need the 1" Screw on adaptor, which doesnt come with the standard adaptor. Also some bournes have a hoselock connector which doesnt need an adaptor at all.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Watering can...
It's length is never too short, never too long.
I have one of these "patio" hose reels
4539663_R_Z001C

Nice and compact - but the only time I seem to use it, is to do the initial fill up at home.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Maybe lead isn’t used but copper is. I don’t think copper would be classed as food grade.

Really? Food grade means nothing will leach into the product. Copper doesn’t leach into water.

You might be right but I am fairly sure Copper is classed as food grade for water.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I don’t understand the food grade hose thing. The pipe work right up to the tap isn’t food grade so what’s the point of having the last few metres food grade?
As someone with several hoses, the blue food grade hose we have is just a standout hose that doesn't get used for watering flowers, etc.
They needed cost much more than a regular hose.
ymmv

EDIT: small typo fix :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Really? Food grade means nothing will leach into the product. Copper doesn’t leach into water.

You might be right but I am fairly sure Copper is classed as food grade for water.
Also, how do you know, that’s definitely know that the whole of the route your water is taking from reservoir to tap is not through any lead pipes?

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
On the question of connectors, despite having a connector similar to this:

View attachment 403193

I have never been anywhere where I needed anything other than these standard connectors:
View attachment 403195
As for hoses, I do have a food grade hose but I never understand why! After some years it must surely develop bacteria and I would never dream of drinking the water from my fresh water tank anyway. The best thing about my hose is not that it is food grade but that it is on a reel and tidies up nicely and does not need a lot of room to store.
View attachment 403221
If you go abroad you’ll need as many different connectors as you can get 🤣

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
If you don't drain hose after use you will get bacterial growth in any hose
Because it is food grade won't prevent this.
Ordinarily I would agree but the tests we did with HSE tended to show differently,they aren't definitive but for 6 months we ran standard against food grade, always same tap and as near as possible same usage. Each hose was flushed through every 2nd day with a disinfectant solution and fresh water. After 6 months the bacteria was present in small quantities in standard but not food. The trial was not taken any further forward so lots of questions remained but it convinced me.
I should add that the issue was caused by aerosol affect, all droplets caused by spillage from the hose had the potential to be inhaled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Maybe lead isn’t used but copper is. I don’t think copper would be classed as food grade.
strange but true, copper is classed as suitable for potable water and not only does it not leach chemicals, copper is also anti-bacterial. Not only was it commonly used in kitchens before stainless steel but also as the surface on operating table tops

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Ordinarily I would agree but the tests we did with HSE tended to show differently,they aren't definitive but for 6 months we ran standard against food grade, always same tap and as near as possible same usage. Each hose was flushed through every 2nd day with a disinfectant solution and fresh water. After 6 months the bacteria was present in small quantities in standard but not food. The trial was not taken any further forward so lots of questions remained but it convinced me.
I should add that the issue was caused by aerosol affect, all droplets caused by spillage from the hose had the potential to be inhaled.
So you agree.....BUT...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't bother with food grade ones, just a good quality anti-kink hose cut into a long and short section with ends on so they can be connected:

This is my website and at the bottom of this page you can see the hoses I use along with how I 'hook' then on to fill the tank single-handedly and also make them easier to store.

As for fittings and other bits and bobs ... I've got loads! Below are images of what I used to have, since then I've added to my collection. :giggle:

water - carriers.jpg
Water - funnel 1.JPG

water - hose connectors.jpg
Water - hoses.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread