Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I managed to break mine a couple of years ago. Bought a replacement from Amazon, can't remember details now but it must have been cheap. Easy to fit, but get one with hinges.

Paul

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Thanks Paul. Do you remember the name of this part? Motorhome hook up flap replacement sounds too complicated

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got fed up fixing the spring on the flap I replaced thr whole thing. Wasn't expensive.

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Thanks for the advice. If I replace the unit will I need an electrician? Or is it something easily fitted by a well meaning amateur?

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
If it’s just the cover/flap it’s only a matter of removing the long pin in the top hinge and changing over.

I have been thinking about doing mine as it’s started to yellow a little.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why are you replacing it? Is it bust or just discoloured?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it’s just the cover/flap it’s only a matter of removing the long pin in the top hinge and changing over.

Easily sprayed 'in situ' if you mask off round it. We had one on a previous MH which discoloured so we sprayed it matt silver to match the decals.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I found the one i got from Amazon. Type in 'caravan motorhome replacement cover' and it's the first one listed, sold.by Pennine Leisure Supplies' cost is £12.01, more than i thought it was.

If I remember rightly I got fed up with trying to repair the old broken one so lashed out the 12 quid. Really simple to fit.

Paul

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There are several different types. Mine was easy to find and replace.
I could hear and see it flapping as we travelled along. Couldn't stop because we were on a motorway. It went quiet after a while and I forgot all about it. At the next stop I found that the damn thing had come off!

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years

Did mine. 2 minute job.

Reactions: M-J

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I could hear and see it flapping as we travelled along. Couldn't stop because we were on a motorway. It went quiet after a while and I forgot all about it. At the next stop I found that the damn thing had come off!
Yes they are cheap to replace, but I think they are simply inadequate(n)
I am sure I speak for a lot of us motor homers and caravanners, where we start off on our travels and notice the flap flapping (and the water inlet is just as guilty) and looking like it is going to go flying at any second. Then we have to stop at the earliest inconvenience, often having to come off the road.

So why the hell do they design them to be held by brittle plastic that is part of the moulding? They either get more brittle over time, slightly warped(like mine) and sometimes refuse to click in place. I never get that reassuring click from a well designed mechanism that befits a seriously expensive vehicle. It seems to me the most annoyingly 'cheapest' most ill designed piece of crap on my motorhome.:mad:

And relax....Rant over:whistle:

Seriously, why are they not made of metal, with a either a powerful magnet or a toggle catch? Making them only open WHEN WE BLOODY DECIDE:mad:
Probably also with a waterproof grommet at least on the EHU flap. I have found my EHU socket flooded after washing my MH quite often.

If I have got to start up my own company who makes these things, I WILL get this sorted!(y) And 50 pounds would be acceptable!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on top quality caravans some have a lockable cover that can be used to secure the hook up cable in place too

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
The cover over my desiel fill cap is cracked on the hinge side so when it's open I think it may drop off. Is still holding when it's shut but have to make sure everything is in line before clicking into place

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Yes they are cheap to replace, but I think they are simply inadequate(n)
I am sure I speak for a lot of us motor homers and caravanners, where we start off on our travels and notice the flap flapping (and the water inlet is just as guilty) and looking like it is going to go flying at any second. Then we have to stop at the earliest inconvenience, often having to come off the road.

So why the hell do they design them to be held by brittle plastic that is part of the moulding? They either get more brittle over time, slightly warped(like mine) and sometimes refuse to click in place. I never get that reassuring click from a well designed mechanism that befits a seriously expensive vehicle. It seems to me the most annoyingly 'cheapest' most ill designed piece of crap on my motorhome.:mad:

And relax....Rant over:whistle:

Seriously, why are they not made of metal, with a either a powerful magnet or a toggle catch? Making them only open WHEN WE BLOODY DECIDE:mad:
Probably also with a waterproof grommet at least on the EHU flap. I have found my EHU socket flooded after washing my MH quite often.

If I have got to start up my own company who makes these things, I WILL get this sorted!(y) And 50 pounds would be acceptable!

We have just fitted one of these
£23 and well worth the swap. No flapping about and the colour matches the van!

Kev

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
We have just fitted one of these
£23 and well worth the swap. No flapping about and the colour matches the van!
I'm building my own, and these ones are about the best (as you can see by the price!). That's what I have fitted, and they are available in different colours (one here in black and cheaper!) and there is a matching water fill point.

But, they are slightly bigger than normal, so likely not to be a straightforward swap-out.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

The newer ones are magnetic and seem to be pretty good at staying closed. They do, however, seem to attract a lot of metallic road dirt...
I've even managed to loose a lockable water cap that I had not put back correctly. An expensive mistake if you want to continue with matching keys all round.

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I have just had electric and water covers replaced .at HARTLEYS MOTORHOME In Kendal same time of habitation check. due to them being very brittle £22 each. Next time I will use 2sided tape

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I'm building my own, and these ones are about the best (as you can see by the price!). That's what I have fitted, and they are available in different colours (one here in black and cheaper!) and there is a matching water fill point.

But, they are slightly bigger than normal, so likely not to be a straightforward swap-out.

It was actually easy!
Took my old one of and the new one fitted in the same hole and lined up the two top holes exactly. The bottom two had to be drilled to suit. That aside apart from Autotrail not allowing enough cable for removal and refit...all was quite simple. A little bit of Sikaflex and all was done in no time.

Kev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back