Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
We want to get a small scooter to fit in the Hymer garage. We are limited on weight behind the rear axle so have narrowed it down to a Chinese monkey bike at 90kg or the Honda Vision at 110kg.
We are not bikers although I have a full motorbike licence from my youth. We just need it for five or ten mile trips for shopping sightseeing etc. We have a 35 year old Honda C90 which is ideal but we live in France and it is just too difficult to turn it French.
So do you or have you owned one? What is it like, is it as light as they say. We will be two up, 13stone and 9stone is it comfortable for shortish trips and can it handle the sort of hills we are likely to experience in Spain, Portugal etc. We will also need a back box to take helmets etc would a fairly large one put it out of Balance?
Thanks for any help.
Steve

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We don't have the Honda Vision but a 125cc version of a SH 125. Its around 108kg.

It pulls ok with two up but is not much fun on the faster roads. Around 55mph is flat out. The vision (I assume) 110cc version should be a bit less power.

The Vision I think is a slightly smaller bike so may feel a bit cramped on a long run. We don't really do more than about five miles without a break as the rear suspension struggles with our combined weight.

Being a Honda it will start and stop whenever you want it too. Parts will be easy to source but I suspect you will not want many.

Chinese bikes are great for what they are but you will want parts and very quickly they become un-economical to repair. They are not really worth much 2nd hand. Mind they don't cost much new. :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As mentioned else where.. I bought a 125 Crox scoot..Under £1500 brand new and only 109 kg fueled
and best of all, five year parts and labour warranty !!!

Big space under the seat for shopping and I have fitted a back box too
Carries me (17.5 st ), her ( not telling but considerably less than fat boy here ), and a weeks shopping up hill and down dale with ease

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Honda vision 110cc. Son of the Honda Innova 125cc, grandson of the Honda C90.

Utterly bulletproof, with big wheels for stability. They've sold about 8 million of them in the Far East.
Brilliant.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
My first wife and I bought a new Honda Vision for exactly the same reasons you are considering one.
I also looked at the Honda MSX 125 (monkey bike type) will carry 2 but only suitable as a 1up really.
Our weights are similar to yours with one of us slightly more (!) and for its size and power it's ideal for running around locally. It's quite comfortable for 2 but will top out at around 50/55 on the flat and does struggle a little on hills, quite nippy 1 up though.
We had a detachable box fitted so we didn't have to carry our helmets everywhere (make sure that at least one of the helmets you buy fits under the seat) which is also good for the shopping bits.
I've had no problem with it (2000+ miles) and as long as your not worried about getting everywhere at 100mph then it's an ideal choice.
Make sure that whatever you buy that you have at least the basic gear, good gloves and jacket (there are be other items which I'm sure will be suggested as necessary), plus a good lock and chain. You will also need a ramp and some method to chock and secure it.
And finally remember, be safe and have fun.
Spud

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We looked at the Honda Vision, but ended up getting a Suzuki Address which looks and is almost the same. Only 2 real differences. Firstly the Suzuki has a kick start as well as an electric start. Very handy when you leave it in the moho garage for a few months and the battery goes flat (been there got that T shirt). Secondly the Suzuki is much cheaper. I bought a 4 month old ex-demonstrator with 100 miles on the clock for £1400. For that money I was looking at a 4 year old Vision with no service history!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We've got a Honda Vision, I agree with all the above especially about the Address kick start, the vision would be impossible to start if the battery or starter motor failed. The Suzuki is also slightly less underpowered and lighter.

Having said that, if you've got a bike license I would advise getting a proper bike as all scooters are about as exciting to ride as errrrrrrrrr... Actually I can't think of anything more boring to ride. They seem OK at first but you know, 8bhp soon becomes very tedious.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We don't have the Honda Vision but a 125cc version of a SH 125. Its around 108kg.

I have an SH125 that looks very similar to the Vision 110. It copes well with the two of us, with our weights in the same ballpark as yours. As well as short trips into town we will do longer trips when the weather makes it a pleasant thing to do (Gorges of the Tarn, up and down Mont Ventoux, that kind of thing. The seats are OK for an hour or more at a time. (we also have an SH100, and compared to that it's a lot less cramped and much more comfortable).

Get the biggest box that will fit. You can take all your wet/cold weather gear just in case, and leave it all in the box while you walk round the town. Also fits all your shopping. Remember it's the weight not the size that causes the balance problem.

It's electric start only, and I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger that has bike and car modes, and charges the bike and is a backup charger for the MH.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
plus a good lock and chain.
Two locks which are different types, so they need two sets of tools. And one goes round an immovable post. Yes, I'm a Manc :cautious:. But I've had this bike since 2001.:D

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Having said that, if you've got a bike license I would advise getting a proper bike as all scooters are about as exciting to ride as errrrrrrrrr... Actually I can't think of anything more boring to ride. They seem OK at first but you know, 8bhp soon becomes very tedious.
I am afraid we didn't get the scooter for excitement, but just for practicality. Sorry but neither of us enjoy being on two wheels much. We left that behind when we got our first cars many many years ago.

We got it for pootling into towns or shops or going to local attractions which are too far to walk to from the moho and don't have a bus to them. Long trips we take the moho and get closer to where we want to be. And also we wanted something light to go into the garage without overloading the rear axle. The Suzuki was the best compromise for us.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We just need it for five or ten mile trips for shopping sightseeing etc. We have a 35 year old Honda C90 which is ideal but we live in France and it is just too difficult to turn it French.

Can you explain please, I'm not sure I understand why it's too difficult, is it more complicated than changing the headlight and re registering?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
we had a vision 100 and loved it. first scoot we owned and it changed our motor homing completely.
its ok 2 up but as said looses a bit up hill. great 1 up mind if you want to no out for bread.

I changed for the honda pcx125 which is a really top scoot..pulls up to 70 mph and drags me and Nikki along great but the problem is its 130kg so a little heavy

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've a sym symjet125 2 years old weighs 108kg

Chinese but it seems a good wee scooter and you can pick them up cheap enough

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
I have a Honda SH125. Fabulous little machine. 137mpg, twist and go. Bigger wheels than a scooter so more stable.

Our weights are similar to yours and it gets us about fine. Helmet storage under the seat and in the topbox which comes with it. Park it anywhere, have an Oxford 12mm chain for added security.

Did someone mentioned they weren't great on fast duel carriageway type roads. I'd tend to agree so I avoid them. If you want a bike that'll comfortably do 80mph then it's going to weigh more than 110kg.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Can you explain please, I'm not sure I understand why it's too difficult, is it more complicated than changing the headlight and re registering?
No headlight change for a motorbike, But it would need a speedo change which would spoil it, but registering a 35 year old bike is difficult, it would need a certificate of compliance and various other forms which are not easily available, especially if you are not fluent in French gobldegook. We changed our two year old Hymer French and it took six months and 1100 euros three different CofC's, cab, chassis and body, in French circa €200 each and a fluent French friend who understood the process to do it. Our local Mairie just gave up. The French are untra protectionist and make up rules as they go along. The English insurance companies would not entertain insurance nor would the French. So the C90 will be sold in the UK next year when we visit.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks to everybody, as some have said, we are not bikers and have no interest in a bigger machine or going more than a few miles for supplies and sightseeing and 60 kph is probably the fastest we will ever go. A light bike that will fit in the garage is all we need, preferably not requiring a ramp which is more weight and hindrance.
From the replies it looks as if the Honda we are looking at will be perfect but will look at the Suzy as well.
Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No headlight change for a motorbike, But it would need a speedo change which would spoil it, but registering a 35 year old bike is difficult, it would need a certificate of compliance and various other forms which are not easily available, especially if you are not fluent in French gobldegook. We changed our two year old Hymer French and it took six months and 1100 euros three different CofC's, cab, chassis and body, in French circa €200 each and a fluent French friend who understood the process to do it. Our local Mairie just gave up. The French are untra protectionist and make up rules as they go along. The English insurance companies would not entertain insurance nor would the French. So the C90 will be sold in the UK next year when we visit.
Steve
Ummmm... I would check that.. Vehicles over 25 years old are accepted as classic..... and fall under completely different rules
Certainly in the UK and Germany that is the case, though I do not know about France

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I reckon you'll still need a ramp ....lifting a scooter in and out your gonna do damage to the van the bike or yourself

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I reckon you'll still need a ramp ....lifting a scooter in and out your gonna do damage to the van the bike or yourself
I agree. It would be a real pain trying to lift the thing into and out of the garage, and probably dangerous. We use an aluminium folding ramp that is lightweight and use the engine to drive it up the ramp. Not expensive from Ebay

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have had the address 110 for a year and stuck 1500 miles on it. Similar weights to apparently everybody on here. 102 kgs I think, and to be brutally frank, would not dream of attempting to get it in the back of the motorhome without a ramp.
Normal 1 helmet top box is good enough for us as we can get another helmet under the seat as well as the helmet locks if we need to transport anything else and I have semi decent wire lock that I put round the rear wheel and through the arms of our jackets as well as a disc lock.
Getting a jerry can is a must (IMHO) as you can only get about 5 litres of petrol in it (or 150 miles) so when you see the gauge go down to just below half you want to fill up with 3 litres of fuel. Fill the jerry can up and then fill the bike up before each journey is what we do. I made the mistake of getting a cheap plastic jerry can and have now bought the metal one for only a few shillings more.
The address does look like a 50cc but have been stopped by the gendarmes doing 70mph, 2 up, downhill, wind behind us, and farting.
For us a lease of life and an extra dimension to motorhoming in france/europe

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
As I have not got a motorbike license can I ride a 50cc bike lawfully on my car license in France or Spain?

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
The Honda C90 was fine for lifting in and out, wife and I lift the front wheel with the bars then I lift the rear, no strain no damage but the new one may be different when we get one. So a ramp it will have to be.
As for importing it into France, I contacted the DREAL official that dealt with our Hymer, he said I would need to join the French Ancient Vehicles society who "may" be able to help with a CofC, so I decided it would obviously be a hassle and best left as original with original registration and probably worth more like that. So I will be giving it a good spruce up and advertising it in one of the enthusiast web sites unless anybody has better ideas.
Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions, very much appreciated. We now need to find Honda and Suzuki dealers near us in France so we can have a really good look and see if we can haggle as most things are dearer in France.
Steve

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The Honda C90 was fine for lifting in and out, wife and I lift the front wheel with the bars then I lift the rear, no strain no damage but the new one may be different when we get one. So a ramp it will have to be.

Steve

One of the problems with a scooter there is not often anywhere to get hold of it to lift it :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As for importing it into France, I contacted the DREAL official that dealt with our Hymer, he said I would need to join the French Ancient Vehicles society who "may" be able to help with a CofC, so I decided it would obviously be a hassle and best left as original with original registration and probably worth more like that. So I will be giving it a good spruce up and advertising it in one of the enthusiast web sites unless anybody has better ideas.
Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions, very much appreciated. We now need to find Honda and Suzuki dealers near us in France so we can have a really good look and see if we can haggle as most things are dearer in France.
Steve
The good thing is the ramps have come right down in price. I bought one about 5 years ago and it was about 80 quid at the time. And I sold it a long time ago.
But when I bought my scooter for the mh back in September I had to buy another and the one i got came in a neat case with straps included and think it was about £40 and it's very light. Although it is a little bulky but needs must

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Like the OP we have a Hymer with a large garage and have just bought a small scooter as a runabout. We purchased a used Peugeot Kisbee 103cc from a fellow motorhomer 4 years old with 710 miles on the clock, dry weight is about 90kg. Presently putting together a mounting arrangement in the garage to secure it ready for our sojourn into Spain for 3 months in a couple of weeks.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The French are untra protectionist and make up rules as they go along.

That sounds about right!. I hated scooters, But then I was a Rocker!. Beautiful full fettled, Norton 99, Cafe Racer, rear sets, drops, and a decided lack of "baffles" in the twin reverse cone mega`s. "Good Morning M`Lud"!.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
The good thing is the ramps have come right down in price. I bought one about 5 years ago and it was about 80 quid at the time. And I sold it a long time ago.
But when I bought my scooter for the mh back in September I had to buy another and the one i got came in a neat case with straps included and think it was about £40 and it's very light. Although it is a little bulky but needs must
Can you give a link please as the ones I found were for large Harley's. I also need to get it to France which is expensive.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can you give a link please as the ones I found were for large Harley's. I also need to get it to France which is expensive.
to the one I bought, which I have found to be very good. They will ship it to France for £12.95.

Edit. I also bought one of these to chock the front wheel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back