Home Made Internal Door Security (1 Viewer)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We were looking at buying some of the internal security devices on the market, but thought we’d have a go ourselves.

Total cost about £6, and someone who’s handy with a sewing machine. We know it’s not the heavy duty stuff on the market…….but it works. (y) We went for orange webbing straps as a safety feature to see them in poor light. All the straps tuck away out of sight when not in use.

Front passenger door…….
716716F5-8D2E-4326-A42A-F891757B48E4.jpeg

4C0FFD48-89A7-4596-9E43-234D43E880FE.jpeg

Drivers door and sliding door…….

EFB70402-270E-4610-B7AA-D07792B91B0C.jpeg
48D78FBA-34FB-43B2-A8E8-CAA5278C6A21.jpeg

Rear Door…..

D84CE9D7-FCEB-49C3-A1CE-B9727F86A829.jpeg
923C2350-9115-407F-B287-EE804D9EA2E4.jpeg

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I manufacture tiedown kits and have had a number of different quality materials tested and my opinion is that the webbing in your photos will shred from the ends easily if pulled firmly by someone intent in entering. I also see you have used plastic buckles which will either break or unclip when tugged. Also I think the plastic door tray may be broken when the strap is forced.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Patent and market these ! Genius, fire exit smart and will reassure many!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ingenious! I like self help ideas. Might copy it. Thankd
I have all the bits so may have a go. But will use stronger straps and look for something to replace the plastic buckle. Maybe add some washers over the strap fixing points would also protect the straps better.
Maybe one of these would be strong enough. But I havent tested one yet
1620977706344.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I manufacture tiedown kits and have had a number of different quality materials tested and my opinion is that the webbing in your photos will shred from the ends easily if pulled firmly by someone intent in entering. I also see you have used plastic buckles which will either break or unclip when tugged. Also I think the plastic door tray may be broken when the strap is forced.
The ends have been cut and heat sealed then stitched as well, great job👍 I can’t see them going anywhere. The same type of webbing has been holding my scooter down for years now so I think it will keep a door closed.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The ends have been cut and heat sealed then stitched as well, great job👍 I can’t see them going anywhere. The same type of webbing has been holding my scooter down for years now so I think it will keep a door closed.
A thief will put his foot on the van and pull the door frame with all his strength, he could even rip the rubber stop off the side door. Once the door is open slightly he will have a lot of leverage, the quality of every component needs to be heavy duty lifting grade. The rubber coated hooks are also not as strong as they look.
Its a good idea but needs refining.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I did say home made. ;)

All webbing straps doubled over or quadrupled. Heavy duty nylon cottons for the sewing, and as pointed out, all ends / holes heat sealed.

My door storage being broken would be the least of my problems if they were that determined to get in. It that side so they can be tucked away when not in use.

The drivers and sliding doors can be used individually or together.

The plastic clips on the back door are heavy duty. Not as strong as metal, but do a good enough job for us.

I gave all a reasonable tug (after all, I don’t want to break anything) and it will work for all but the most determined.

Products on the market would cost almost €200.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A thief will put his foot on the van and pull the door frame with all his strength, he could even rip the rubber stop off the side door. Once the door is open slightly he will have a lot of leverage, the quality of every component needs to be heavy duty lifting grade. The rubber coated hooks are also not as strong as they look.
Or if he/she is that determined they will just take a window out so why bother, it’s a deterrent like everything else, once they have defeated the lock cracked the door a bit but still won’t open and alarm going off 9/10 will be on their way.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

I’m not trying to make the van Prisoner proof.:unsure: Just something, should the locks be forced, that will prevent the doors opening whilst we’re inside.

By the time they’ve tugged at one of the doors I think I’ll be aware and be acting accordingly.

The professional stuff on the market is the heavy, heavy duty security straps.(y)

We do have a Growler fitted as well. :giggle:

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I've gone for the womo-tuning rear door, sliding door and front door security items. See link below for their metal rear door item :

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
For the rears I used shoot bolts top and bottom on each door. Cab doors have 12mm stainless steel rods throughB pillar into door frame.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Cant’t personally add anything practical but a great thread with some ingenious options, given me a weekend task to think about (y)

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I've gone for the womo-tuning rear door, sliding door and front door security items. See link below for their metal rear door item :

This was what I was looking at buying, but I couldn’t find out how much import duty would be placed on top.

That prompted me to come up with my own solutions…….total £6 and my wife’s sewing skills. (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is cheap and there is good.

I do like you solution to stop the random scum in the french services while you are parked up for the night. Although as others have said I would replace the plastic clips with metal ones as those wouldn't stand up to a good medium sized tug.

Your straps do not add any security for when you are not in. My recommendation for a PVC is deadlocks on every door. A one time expense of a couple of 100 £ and you are sorted.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
There is cheap and there is good.

I do like you solution to stop the random scum in the french services while you are parked up for the night. Although as others have said I would replace the plastic clips with metal ones as those wouldn't stand up to a good medium sized tug.

Your straps do not add any security for when you are not in. My recommendation for a PVC is deadlocks on every door. A one time expense of a couple of 100 £ and you are sorted.

I’ve got the Fiat standard security, Growler alarm (with panic mode), steering wheel lock and a wife with a very handy right hook.

These straps are just an additional level of security should we feel we want it, and if anyone wants to copy them or improve on them feel free. I’ve picked up plenty of ideas on here, so throwing one of my own in. (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I’ve got the Fiat standard security, Growler alarm (with panic mode), steering wheel lock and a wife with a very handy right hook.

These straps are just an additional level of security should we feel we want it, and if anyone wants to copy them or improve on them feel free. I’ve picked up plenty of ideas on here, so throwing one of my own in. (y)
I do like it. Very handy for when on the road and parking up overnight.

I should have perhaps made sure you knew I like it and meant to be complimentary (y). It is certainly a big step up from a strap running between the two doors.

This is great security when you are in the van. However the second you leave it, a quick smash of the window and a stanley knife would make it redundant though.

When away from the van I always recommend deadlocks and keeping anything valuable out of reach and out of sight.

eddievanbitz alarms are absolutely the best, but in my experience of dealing with security I prefer a layered approach. Physical protection in layers and electronic layers.

On the physical side, deadlocks (I think I have already mentioned them ) and either a steering lock, gear lever lock or foot pedal lock.
Add to this a decent alarm, immobiliser and tracker.

I have actually watched a thief in action (I called the police as I watched)
The alarm went off in the car, the thief crapped himself and ran away. He didn't run far, when he saw that no one came out, he got back to work.
I won't bore you with the rest of the story, but it made clear to me that an alarm on it's own is not enough.

I do security work in IT. Security is security and the principles remain the same. No matter if it is a mediaeval castle, modern warfare, van security or IT security. You always have layers of defence. You don't spend all your budget on one layer of the BEST in the field and think your job is done.

On my old van with a sliding door I fitted deadlocks on all the doors. I obviously couldn't lock the deadlock on the sliding door if I was inside, so I used a domestic security chain which is similar to what you have done.

Anyway, I probably went on a bit. Just to repeat, I do like you solution but I don't think this is a good solution unless you are actually in the van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am not criticizing, just an observation from years of dogs breaking plastic side buckles on collars with ease. We use them to save a dog from dying from strangulation if the collar gets caught up. They are designed to fail easily for safety. A good tug and I would bet the buckle comes apart, maybe without damage. Worse though is the shape of the doors, leaving them structurally weak at the top. Bent back doors is common on builders vans. I would fit a similar strap or a chain across at the mid point on the rear doors

Good ideas in principle, well done

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
The idea was for when you are in the van. ;)

Agree with layered approach, which I have a couple that I don’t tell anyone about.(y)

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
For those that would rather have German build quality and price.....

I quite like the Hi-viz home made ones, maybe not as strong, but they won’t add to the jangling things when you drive.

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
I made same using chains and a back door bar. Not worth paying to much for this when you look at what's on sale. Link

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now

I quite like the Hi-viz home made ones, maybe not as strong, but they won’t add to the jangling things when you drive.
Thats what i fitted- 5 minute job.

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp

I have had mine fitted for a while now. Done lots of driving over past month and never had any noise from the chains. Problem with the high viz ones and good yank on the door will brake the connection

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back