Home Insurance - Maximum Period of Unoccupancy (1 Viewer)

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Just spoke with the Co-op and they confirmed that the clock resets if someone stays overnight at the property within the 60 day period.

Looks as though they may well get the business.

Ian

Forgot to mention the co-op has a £50 food vouchers offer for a combined house a contents insurance, this ends) on the 20th November.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Forgot to mention the co-op has a £50 food vouchers offer for a combined house a contents insurance ending on the 20th November
When we took out house insurance with them we got a £50 electrical voucher and the following year premium went down £60. Did the car insurance with them this year and got the £50 food vouchers.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Forgot to mention the co-op has a £50 food vouchers offer for a combined house a contents insurance, this ends) on the 20th November.

I don’t see any reference to this ‘offer’ on the website for the on-line application. Where did you get the info/voucher? Do I need to speak to an advisor rather than use the website?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I don’t see any reference to this ‘offer’ on the website for the on-line application. Where did you get the info/voucher? Do I need to speak to an advisor rather than use the website?

Ian

I would speak to a adviser, and find out if the on line quote is the same as he/she would give you

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

I would speak to a adviser, and find out if the on line quote is the same as he/she would give you

I must have skipped past that in my desire to get to the home insurance page!

It seems that Co-op members also get 5% of the premium added to their membership card!

Thanks muchly.

Ian

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Was this for me? When I spoke to the NFU they wouldn’t offer cover beyond 60 days.

In terms of the Co-op resetting the clock there was an implication that any clock resetting would need to be verifiable.

This could reasonably be verifiable by use of the landline telephone (and, if paranoid, by calling their insurance line).

Ian

Sorry yes it was for you NFU told me 60 days but could be reset by someone sleeping overnight.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
That was one of the reasons we sold our home in the UK, we had 180 days but had to be heated and someone looking in once a week, and that worked fine until some bar steward nicked all our heating oil, and although it froze and burst the pipes we had turned the water off. :Eeek: Bob.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Quite difficult for us as we placed our home in a trust and the majority of Insurance company's wont touch us been though we have been living in it for 40 years plus. However, we did manage to find a company through a broker who gave us up to 120 days away from the home for £250. It's a crap policy as the excess is high but at least we have something.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
PhilandMena
Would that be Admiral as they offered to up it to 120 days but they hike up the excess. But at least the policy was cheap. So all in all it could be worth it.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
PhilandMena
Would that be Admiral as they offered to up it to 120 days but they hike up the excess. But at least the policy was cheap. So all in all it could be worth it.
No! A broker called SJL Insurance services. Next year I will look further a field as not happy with cover for price I'm paying.

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think most home policies have 30-day restrictions. Some people argue that because a neighbour or family member visits then the 30 days resets, but I wouldn't want to challenge that in court. They might want an additional premium or refuse to cover while you are away Then you'll need to get unoccupied property insurance and if that includes contents then it can be expensive. I think lots of people just cross their fingers and hope nothing happens while they are away.
Our insurance company said as long as we had someone going into the property once a month then we were OK.

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I phoned and spoke to my Insurers.
They increased to 6 months for a small additional premium, but someone had to check my home weekly.
I also could empty my heating system, or leave on a constant 15 degrees, which I did.
As doors were kept closed the bill wasn't too bad
Speak to them.
We leave our heating on 13, to stop any freezing, and the bill was no different to summer. We have an alarm but also have lights and radio on timers. The neighbours say it looks like Blackpool illuminations. ?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We leave our heating on 13, to stop any freezing, and the bill was no different to summer. We have an alarm but also have lights and radio on timers. The neighbours say it looks like Blackpool illuminations. ?
We did that and someone stole our heating oil. ?
The safest way is drain it down. Bob.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Both of our daughters partners are plumbers, check out combi boiler condensation pipe they freeze boiler cuts out. ? Bob.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's been a while since I dealt with this as I have been fulltiming for over 10 years now...

But I seem to recall speaking to my insurance company and paying some nominal amount to get 6 months. I left my heating on and was in a low crime risk area...

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
NFU told me yesterday it was only 60 days !
But to have someone to sleep over makes another 60 days!

A. How would they know if someone actually did
B. Is that not naughty.

A, if something happened you would have to lie to the insurers and possibly the Police and ask someone else to do the same. I would not want to do this.

B, yes insurance fraud is naughty, people can and do go to prison for it.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
We are with Aviva and have just extended it from 60 days to 90 days although the policy wording now says
"You have confirmed that the home will be unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days"

Changed less for more, I wouldnt go over 90 though as that was what we agreed, No change in cost.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Try intrasure for a quote.
Water off heating on low and family visit to check mail.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
webby1
they need to get there answer right first time imagine just tacking them up on there first reply !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back