Hiring out my private motorhome (1 Viewer)

stephennn

Free Member
Nov 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
I am very keen to buy a motorhome, 4 berth with fixed bed. I'd love a newbuild but the wife would never sign off on the cost, a 10year old circa £15k maybe she would.
Either way, is it possible to cover costs for a loan + storage by renting it out? I can ask the websites that do it all for me but I'd get a very biased answer and I'd prefer to get feedback from anyone who has had some experience.

thanks

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi firstly welcome, now your budget looks a bit low for a 10 year old. Secondly the hire business is full of problems, insurance, drivers not used to a large vehicle, users who do not know how to work everything, to name a few. I'm sure there are posts on here about the subject so have a look but be careful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Before you make any decisions, check out things like insurance costs, I did once and it put me right off renting. That’s before the clients treat your van in a deplorable way. There are companies which rent out your van as well for a commission, I have heard many horror stories about these as well.
Phil

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If you rent, and the vehicle returns with damage (very possible) or a fault (possible) then you have nothing to hire out until It’s fixed and therefore could possibly be letting down your next hirers and they would not be best pleased. :gum:

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I spent over ten years maintaining a fleet of hire vans. Having seen what happens to them please don’t.
hirers want new or nearly new, if you only have one what happens when it is off the road for parts, still waiting for bits for my 10/2019 van. Whilst a lot of hirers are responsible there are plenty that aren’. If no dogs allowed I have seen people waiting down the road with a dog, then denying they had one with them and cannot understand why the van is full of dogs hair. The next hirer refusing to take the van. Some drive around in a small car and are not used to the size of the van. Things get broken mislaid or pinched, just one big horror story. Many firms no longer hire them out as in the long run it isn’t feasibl.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I echo the above comments. We don’t even lend ours to family. If they damage it they will feel guilty and probably help with repairs. Hirers will not. They will consider that you hired it out, therefore your risk.

Insurance costs would rise and with a 10yr motorhome valued at £15k you may even find it written off if parts for repair are difficult to source.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
ok. I had similar thoughts and probably won't do it.

thanks
Don't let this put you of getting a motor home. Have a look at a PVC some are small enough to use as a daily drive

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Get a ‘van......but don’t rent/lend it out!
(and welcome from Ciren!) (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Unfortunately, £15k is unlikely to be sufficient for a decent 10-year old van.

Most hirers prefer newer vans.

Hiring vans is a nightmare - I know from looking after a friend's. It is much as others have said, almost always returned with something broken or damaged.

Getting spare parts quickly for motorhomes can be near impossible, especially bodywork and bespoke manufacturer-specific stuff. And likely even more difficult on a 10-year old van.

My advice - avoid!

Sorry - not the answer you were seeking. :unsure:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I know the rental fees appear appealing but just reckon up your maintenance costs.
I tried this a few years ago and after 4 months I was out of pocket big time.
It's a big fat NEVER from me.

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Tend to agree with previous comments. However thank goodness people do hire out MHs...without those hire companies we would have never experienced motorhoming and after two fantastic holidays in a hire MH we bought one, then another etc etc 😀

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Another £10k on top of your £15k for anything 10 years old even then it wouldn’t be in good condition. Don’t rent it. It won’t work.and welcome 😷👍

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Buy an older van that you can afford to run without worry. Mine at present is sat on the drive fully paid for not costing me anything to park up but in the first year alone full service belts and bits new tires (I knew all this when I bought it cost nearly £2000 plus tax and insurance

But I would normally pay that for the main 2/3 week holiday. I have had 7 full weeks away 2,x 2 weeks and a 3 week and every weekend that was possible.

I work full time but already she is worth her weight in gold to me. Set your sights a little lower there are some great older and cheaper vans out there .

Would I rent or lend mine NO CHANCE

And the final thought what if the 'dream' turns into a nightmare and you just don't enjoy it you will not be the first.

Other than that, go get a van and enjoy every bit as much as you can :welcome4:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
take the time to search on here for horror stories like a brand newly converted van on it's first hire, returned with damage and dog shit inside. May not have been dog though, or the blood

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
:pink:...

you’ll be lucky to get a 10yr van for under £30k....

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I wouldn't rent mine out even if they paid me :rofl:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I spent over ten years maintaining a fleet of hire vans. Having seen what happens to them please don’t.
hirers want new or nearly new, if you only have one what happens when it is off the road for parts, still waiting for bits for my 10/2019 van. Whilst a lot of hirers are responsible there are plenty that aren’. If no dogs allowed I have seen people waiting down the road with a dog, then denying they had one with them and cannot understand why the van is full of dogs hair. The next hirer refusing to take the van. Some drive around in a small car and are not used to the size of the van. Things get broken mislaid or pinched, just one big horror story. Many firms no longer hire them out as in the long run it isn’t feasibl.
P

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
My sentiments exactly, DON’T do it.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Before you make any decisions, check out things like insurance costs, I did once and it put me right off renting. That’s before the clients treat your van in a deplorable way. There are companies which rent out your van as well for a commission, I have heard many horror stories about these as well.
Phil
There is a company offering short term insurance for private owners wishing to lend their van to a friend, see this link, https://www.tempcover.com/temporary-van-insurance/motorhome. I lent mine for 10 days to a friend who used them. Cannot give you the costs as he was happy and I was with the cover.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Hi
I am very keen to buy a motorhome, 4 berth with fixed bed. I'd love a newbuild but the wife would never sign off on the cost, a 10year old circa £15k maybe she would.
Either way, is it possible to cover costs for a loan + storage by renting it out? I can ask the websites that do it all for me but I'd get a very biased answer and I'd prefer to get feedback from anyone who has had some experience.

thanks
DON’T DO IT! There are horror stories of rented out Motorhomes. It’s the same in all markets, the hirers have no respect for what’s not their own. I ran a decent size trailer hire fleet and we were ALWAYS having disputes about damage. Horse boxes and car transporter trailers seemed to be the worst.
that aside, there are insurance implications, and you mentioned a loan? It may well be part of the agreement that you cannot hire for reward....

you would of course need to take ‘substantial’ deposits to cover the damage risk and then be prepared to argue the toss with the hirer. There is always the issue too that you might miss something on it’s return.... assuming it is returned! Yes, I had them nicked too..... 😡🤬

Mar 31, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
Since 2017
I totally agree with what's been said. With regard to price, we paid £17000 for an 18 year old Swift Kontiki. We were fortunate and it was in great condition. There has naturally been a few wear and tear issues due to age over the last couple of years, but nothing too daunting.

Before buying we had considered the possibility of hiring it out, but once we set foot in it we realised we wouldn't trust anyone else to treat it as lovingly as we would. We made it clear to family and friends not to bother asking because they weren't allowed to borrow it.

We rarely even take the kids (22 & 32) away with us nowadays because it's our little escape space. It's become a very personal space with our belongings arranged just the way we like it. 'Konnie' is part of the family. I couldn't imagine trusting her to anyone else.

Do still buy a van if you can though. Motorhoming is something I always wanted to do and I'm so glad I have. It's changed our lives immeasurably.

Feb 18, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria S 690 SP.
Exp
2018 August
I currently have a £35,000 garden ornament due to Covid-19. what happens to Hire-out plans when such unforeseen circumstances arise?
Luckily I paid cash for mine so no outgoings but there is still depreciation (I still go out and just sit in it).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back