Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
We're starting to think about our summer holiday in France with the MH and are thinking about hiring cars while there. Our vague plans at the moment are to have a bit of a tour round the Loire and then down to the Dordogne, both of which regions we'd done before; if we find somewhere we really like, we'd probably stay for a few days (once a caravanner always a caravanner) so would get a car while there.
We'd like some advice. Is it easy to hire in France? Does the caravan club have any reciprocal arrangements there? What extra documentation if any would we need to make sure we had with us. What would be an average cost?
Any help would be appreciated.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
We found the best place to hire from was the main SuperU supermarket. They seem to charge by distance covered and offered us a medium sized car for up to 200k for just €28. Bit different to here!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Easiest place would be the local airport used by Ryanair/Easyjet which would be used to dealing with Brits...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Lots of camping sites can arrange local car hire - often delivered to the site

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Without sounding flippant why are you still thinking like a caravaner .
If your only there for 2 or 3 days why not drive off pitch and return every evening .

Vlad

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Without sounding flippant why are you still thinking like a caravaner .
If your only there for 2 or 3 days why not drive off pitch and return every evening .
Vlad

That is a good point Vlad but like the OP maybe I am still thinking like a caravanner (I was one for 30 years) for I quite often hire a car for 3 days if we spend 4 or 5 days on one site. I remember last year at Cabo de Gata we hired a car- it was cheap enough and very convenient as it was delivered to and dropped off at the site. I did note however that 2 of the MoHos pitched near to us did exactly as you said and drove off in their vans every day (they were French)

I am still slightly wary of driving through towns and finding somewhere suitable to park the MoHo :cautious: wheras in a cheap hire car it is no problem!:)

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
September last year we hired a car a couple of times from super U which has already been mentioned.
No issues quite easy and convenient.
We normally tow the smart car on a trailer when on our summer holidays our van is too clumsy for town usage, okay if I know the location but other wise not worth the hassle.
D

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just a word of caution, which you probably know about, but it was a problem in France a few years ago. If you have to return the car with a full fuel tank, make sure you get a petrol receipt and when you take the keys to the car hire desk/office, make them photocopy the receipt and give you back the original. I think a lot of Leclerc fuel stations give you the option of two receipts. Check your bank/ credit card statements for a couple of months to make sure the hire co doesn't take extra from you without warning.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a word of caution, which you probably know about, but it was a problem in France a few years ago. If you have to return the car with a full fuel tank, make sure you get a petrol receipt and when you take the keys to the car hire desk/office, make them photocopy the receipt and give you back the original. I think a lot of Leclerc fuel stations give you the option of two receipts. Check your bank/ credit card statements for a couple of months to make sure the hire co doesn't take extra from you without warning.
Zest just say, it's got so much in, bring it back with the same amount and don't check much.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp

Maybe I've been lucky but when I have hired cars "on site" then invariably I'm told -"its got a quarter of a tank - bring it back about the same" :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

I am still slightly wary of driving through towns and finding somewhere suitable to park the MoHo :cautious: wheras in a cheap hire car it is no problem!:)
Many towns will have aires or spaces for motorhomes, signs are sometimes displayed at the entrance to towns telling you where motorhome parking is allowed.
It really is easy to park in France

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back