Free Member
Sep 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi
just joined. am in process of starting to look for the right motorhome for me and my wife's retirement...not as imminent as I'd like!! pretty sure I know what I'd buy but the tricky thing is the added cost of adding stuff like off grid power systems and self levelling systems ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome.
You can spend a lot of money, once inebriated with the excitement of a new toy. Try to resist, even if you do have the cash.
This forum will not be short of advice and much may be a bit misleading. Much better that you tread slowly and discover where your priorities lie. It may take one or two changes before you get it right. The fun comes from what you do with it, rather than what it can do. Some get by on a shoe-string but still enjoy the same places as those who have all the latest gear. (I started with a Renault 4 and a sheet around the tail lift!)
Plan, by all means. And learn about payload first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jeza

jeza

Free Member
Sep 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
thx for the advice.

Reactions: two

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello and welcome. Don't buy extras until you find a mh that suits you. Even cups, plates, etc. You will change your mind so often and can waste so much money.

Keep posting and let us know if you come across a mh you like. People are very helpful.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
first you need to decide what layout suits you, then you need to decide what layout suits you and finally you need to decide what layout suits you ...... everything else is just icing on the cake, as little or as much as you want and in any colour ...

welcome to the house of fun !

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
As MisterB, says layout so important, but again, think about storage? Costs? Where you buy from also a factor, as if...hopefully not, it needs returning to a dealer( presume you go that way) you don't want to be driving hours away, so much info on this site so worth doing the research before you shel! Out...we only found this site after we purchased our van :oops: thankfully all ok, but it could of been a very expensive mistake, good luck on your search.::bigsmile:(y)on and welcome

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Buy the best second hand one that you think might suit and wing it for six months.
It will be the cheapest and easiest way to recognise what's important. Trying to second guess the perfect van isn't going to work. Suc it and see?.
I've never felt the need for any kind of leveling system but off grid power is a must.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Buy a van, use it for a few months, get to know it then make changes.
The self levelling systems are wonderful if you own an RV but if you have a coach built motorhome whats more wonderful is buying a £30 set of levelling ramps and using the £3000 you saved for a tour of France!
Solar Panel's are a good idea along with an extra leisure battery but thats the sort of thing it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask a dealer to chuck in as part of a deal bearing in mind a dealer at the moment isn't going to take thousands of pounds of the price of van!
Welcome to Fun, I am sure you are in good hands here!

Simon

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Welcome!! The biggest piece of advice I can offer you is to rent before you buy. In particular, once you have spent your hours and hours poring over pictures and your days of considering what layout you think is suitable for you...try it first!! It's much better to be down for a weeks rental cost if you find the layout doesn't suit you than to be down the cost of a new, or new-to-you, van.

OP
OP
jeza

jeza

Free Member
Sep 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
i live in banstead surrey. anyone know of a secure storage place near me as i can't store on my property ? other than other than caravan club site in alderstead

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
i live in banstead surrey. anyone know of a secure storage place near me as i can't store on my property ? other than other than caravan club site in alderstead
I think you’ll get a better response if you start another thread requesting this info.
You could put it under the Motorhome Chat section.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Welcome.
You can spend a lot of money, once inebriated with the excitement of a new toy. Try to resist, even if you do have the cash.
This forum will not be short of advice and much may be a bit misleading. Much better that you tread slowly and discover where your priorities lie. It may take one or two changes before you get it right. The fun comes from what you do with it, rather than what it can do. Some get by on a shoe-string but still enjoy the same places as those who have all the latest gear. (I started with a Renault 4 and a sheet around the tail lift!)
Plan, by all means. And learn about payload first.
Too true I think theres a lot to be said for not spending too much at first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back