Here's what happens if you overstay the 90 days... (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
A friend's daughter teaches ski-ing in Switzerland. Friend of the daughter overstayed 4 days because he was ill with covid. They got v angry at passport control, stamped his passport and banned for 5 years. He said he couldn't leave because he was ill with covid but they said he had no proof of that with him so tough basically.
Apparently he plans to appeal, don't know any more than that.

Just thought I ought to pass this on, please don't shoot the messenger :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not wishing to start an argument on this but why didn't he have a test before the 90 days and leave or stay whichever the outcome.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Not totally surprised, tolerance of rule braking is very low in CH. I would appeal and with a decent letter from his commune and employer, plus valid Doctor certificate he will likely be OK.

If one of our children are more than 5 mins late at school we get a phone call, if it happens twice we get a letter that we have to reply to, rules is rules it seems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A friend's daughter teaches ski-ing in Switzerland. Friend of the daughter overstayed 4 days because he was ill with covid. They got v angry at passport control, stamped his passport and banned for 5 years. He said he couldn't leave because he was ill with covid but they said he had no proof of that with him so tough basically.
Apparently he plans to appeal, don't know any more than that.

Just thought I ought to pass this on, please don't shoot the messenger :)
No intention of shooting the messenger, but thanking you for bringing this information to Fun....it had to happen, sometime....we know some who are disregarding this ruling....why, don't know...working the system perhaps....
Rules are rules.....I have no sympathy for those who decide these rules do not apply to them.(Not the case you reported on)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
IF (big IF) she can prove that she was ill just before he was due to leave, she just may have a leg to stand on, at least to get the time reduced, or pay a fine instead.

However I suspect we will be hearing a lot more versions of this story over the next few months.

If you have a UK passport and have stayed within the EU since New Year, then your only way out now would be to walk across a border on a footpath away from civilisation, into either Switzerland or one of the Balkans (or Northern Ireland) and then travel out of the country into the EU officially, ensuring you get your passport stamped on exit.
(Or for those in Switzerland, walk across to France)

However, it won't be long before that loophole is closed, as all passport checks are digital now, so since January they will know when you left the UK (or arrived in the EU).

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Not wishing to start an argument on this but why didn't he have a test before the 90 days and leave or stay whichever the outcome.
Agree but I only know what I was told and no idea of his reasoning (or lack of).
IF (big IF) she can prove that she was ill just before he was due to leave, she just may have a leg to stand on, at least to get the time reduced, or pay a fine instead.

However I suspect we will be hearing a lot more versions of this story over the next few months.

If you have a UK passport and have stayed within the EU since New Year, then your only way out now would be to walk across a border on a footpath away from civilisation, into either Switzerland or one of the Balkans (or Northern Ireland) and then travel out of the country into the EU officially, ensuring you get your passport stamped on exit.
(Or for those in Switzerland, walk across to France)

However, it won't be long before that loophole is closed, as all passport checks are digital now, so since January they will know when you left the UK (or arrived in the EU).
As I understood it he was leaving from Switzerland which of course is part of Schengen although not EU. I asked if he was just banned from Switzerland or from whole of Schengen but my friend didnā€™t know.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Agree but I only know what I was told and no idea of his reasoning (or lack of).

As I understood it he was leaving from Switzerland which of course is part of Schengen although not EU. I asked if he was just banned from Switzerland or from whole of Schengen but my friend didnā€™t know.

CH only, 99% sure.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I would presume Switzerland only, as it's not part of the EU and would not have the right to impose a ban on other countries.

But as I said above, I suspect we are going to hear many more variations of this story over the next few months, especially once Pandemic lockdowns start to ease up.

The EU Authorities may be a little less pedantic this year, as there are many with genuine extenuating circumstances, however by the end of the year I predict a clamp down.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
If you have a UK passport and have stayed within the EU since New Year, then your only way out now would be to walk across a border on a footpath away from civilisation, into either Switzerland or one of the Balkans (or Northern Ireland) and then travel out of the country into the EU officially, ensuring you get your passport stamped on exit
Danke schoen for zis,
Signed
The von Trapp family

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They got v angry at passport control, stamped his passport and banned for 5 years.
To my knowledge 3 years is the maximum for overstaying with 1 year being normal for overstays between 3 & 90 days?
I would presume Switzerland only, as it's not part of the EU and would not have the right to impose a ban on other countries.
Switzerland is a schengen country.The ban applies to every schengen country.
The only saving grace , to my knowledge is the UK passport . A new one only ties up with the old one when viewed by passport authorities in the UK .

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
This was inevitable.

if you read the small print when you sign the entry form for USA you will see that they have the power to ban you indefinitely and without giving a reason.
I had a very difficult encounter with a IS immigration guy one tine. You have to smile and obey!

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Presumably he did have a test, was positive so had to isolate, taking him beyond the 90 days?

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
So why didn't he have a record of it?
Iā€™m sorry but I donā€™t have any more details. I would have thought he would have had a test and presumably the results would be on his phone - itā€™sa young person so everything would be on his phone šŸ¤£.
Was he just making excuses?? Donā€™t know. But whatever the background to him overstaying he got a 5 year ban, Mr friend was very definite about that

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So why didn't he have a record of it?
Do you get one in the UK ? Here you just get told the result .If you are + you have to isolate.
Mind you under the circumstances I would have been asking for some form of proof to show the border officials.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Do you get one in the UK ? Here you just get told the result .If you are + you have to isolate.
Mind you under the circumstances I would have been asking for some form of proof to show the border officials.
He was leaving Switzerland, had been working there I think as a ski instructor

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I can easily imagine he thought it is only 5 days and no one will be bothered.

I guess be warned!
A South African guy I used to work with (in the UK) had a one year working visa for the USA.
He left New York on the last flight on the last possible day.

The Americans Homeland Security were not amused, and in effect threw him out of the country, even though he was booked on the flight he was thrown out on. In essence he was 'taking the piss'.

When he arrived at Heathrow, the US had been in touch with UK immigration.
He was not permitted to leave Heathrow and had to get on the next flight to South Africa.

He had to 'lose' his passport in South Africa and then apply for a new one, under his full Afrikaans name, before he was granted a new visa for the UK. I don't think he ever went back to the USA.

The lesson I learned there and then is; don't even think of even getting close to the last day on your visa, as it only takes one little thing to delay you, and you are in a world of trouble.

Hence our ferry booking for the summer of 22 is for 60 days. We can always add a couple more weeks if we want to.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Ive never been to CH , why the hate ? Just asking .

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Bit of a seeping generalisation, to hate an entire country, especially one as diverse as Switzerland.
Do you have something against mountains, chocolate and coocoo clocks ?
Yes.

For more information check your history...

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
and there was me thinking I was hard done to when overstayed visa in Colombia due to cancelled flights!:swear2:
USD20 inadvertently left on the Passport desk seemed to grant immunity!:whistle2:
Wow! Can't see that that would work in Switzerland!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I don't think he ever went back to the USA.
My mate has a daughter & family who live there. It takes a great deal to wind him up he is so laid back but even he always finds entering a trial. He told me years ago not to even think of going as I'd never get in.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My mate has a daughter & family who live there. It takes a great deal to wind him up he is so laid back but even he always finds entering a trial. He told me years ago not to even think of going as I'd never get in.
They let us in....once had problems leaving Peru....not overstaying but our final destination being Alicante Spain not Madrid or any onward flight to the UK.... Peruvian woman got stroppy.....
jumartoo got her running shoes confiscated on entering Australia or NZ...cannot remember which...the Border official returned them after scrubbing and disinfecting them...none of these actions cause us entry or exit problems.....never overstayed anywhere except in 1998 when we left the UK....šŸ¤”šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡¦

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This was inevitable.

if you read the small print when you sign the entry form for USA you will see that they have the power to ban you indefinitely and without giving a reason.
I had a very difficult encounter with a IS immigration guy one tine. You have to smile and obey!

Not only that but they cancelled all 'Multiple- entry , Indefinite' Visas. I had one because I was working for a company that had 6 offices there. So their promise was not kept.

Well I suppose it is their country, but as far as I am concerned they can keep it.

Geoff

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When I was in practice, I was advising a liquidator who was pursuing a Swiss lawyer director of the company. Heā€™d snaffled a lot of money into 3 named bank accounts in Zurich. We cracked the trusts but we were told that, if we ever enter Switzerland, we could face charges as asking the questions we did and getting the answers, broke Swiss banking laws.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back