Here's what happens if you overstay the 90 days... (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Both the Swiss and the Austrians have ZERO sense of humour. They only laugh when they screw you.
I know, I’ve been there. Schweinhunds.
Phil
Achtung! Spitfeuer... For you Tommy, ze war ist over!
Good things about Switzerland.
Gotta say, their trains from the airport into the city at Geneva are cool, dirt cheap(or free if you are attending an exhibition), clean double deckers, unlike getting the Heathrow Express or the chug chug train to central London...
(If you do happen to find yourself in Geneva, do not miss trip to the Patek Philippe Watch Museum, I had zero interest in watches but it is fascinating)
Their Rolls are good too..(although they come from Austria)
Their Army isn't the most famous but does it have a special weapon for removing stones from your motorhome tyres..
fullsizeoutput_18d7.jpeg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Expected to have heard of quite a few cases of overstaying now we are into four months since start of the year..Either those that got caught are keeping very quiet or everyone one is complying. BUSBY,😄

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Expected to have heard of quite a few cases of overstaying now we are into four months since start of the year..Either those that got caught are keeping very quiet or everyone one is complying. BUSBY,😄
I wonder how many are sitting it out in spain hopping it will all blow over?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My mate has a daughter & family who live there. It takes a great deal to wind him up he is so laid back but even he always finds entering a trial. He told me years ago not to even think of going as I'd never get in.
Daughter lives in New Jersey so we go regularly and have never had a problem. The guys at entry checks have an awful boring job so just always be honest and polite and keep smiling. Got worried once when he starting asking us questions about London, but it turned out he was going on a holiday to there and just wanted advice on the best sights.

Having said that we always fly into Newark rather than JFK. We were once told by an aircrew member that was much slower and more officious.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If you lost your passport in the uk. Do they stamp it banning you from France?

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Ah the external optimist!

you might not have noticed, but there is a global pandemic on right now that might be slightly affecting things. 😂

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

you might not have noticed, but there is a global pandemic on right now that might be slightly affecting things. 😂
I do realize that but there are many Brits that are still out in Europe and probably want to return..and I can assure you I am aware of the pandemic because I have not seen my kids or grand kids since last Aug....BUSBY.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Pandemic or not, Spain did have quite a few winter visitors from the UK, and still have some from Germany and France on the Costas...
We know that many returned to the UK before 31st March, and in fact some after that date, posting on here their experiences, as to them having problems I couldn't say, perhaps not, however they may have an exit stamp in their passports that could, should or may not cause a problem next time they decide to enter....only time will tell.

AvalonAdventur

Free Member
Jun 9, 2020
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F A Class
Exp
IF (big IF) she can prove that she was ill just before he was due to leave, she just may have a leg to stand on, at least to get the time reduced, or pay a fine instead.

However I suspect we will be hearing a lot more versions of this story over the next few months.

If you have a UK passport and have stayed within the EU since New Year, then your only way out now would be to walk across a border on a footpath away from civilisation, into either Switzerland or one of the Balkans (or Northern Ireland) and then travel out of the country into the EU officially, ensuring you get your passport stamped on exit.
(Or for those in Switzerland, walk across to France)

However, it won't be long before that loophole is closed, as all passport checks are digital now, so since January they will know when you left the UK (or arrived in the EU).
You are confusing EU with Schengen. 90 days in 180 in a Schengen country. This means doing the Schengen shuffle. Austria 90 Croatia 90 back to Hungary 90 then Romania, Serbia, Bosnia 90,then Greece 90 then Turkey 90 and so on.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Not totally surprised, tolerance of rule braking is very low in CH. I would appeal and with a decent letter from his commune and employer, plus valid Doctor certificate he will likely be OK.

If one of our children are more than 5 mins late at school we get a phone call, if it happens twice we get a letter that we have to reply to, rules is rules it seems.
Thank goodness someone is still teaching standards of behaviour.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I wonder how many are sitting it out in spain hopping it will all blow over?
We personally know of a few... seem to have decided the impending fine they receive may be worth the hit..

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We personally know of a few... seem to have decided the impending fine they receive may be worth the hit..
We also know of one who owns a holiday property near here..... she is aware that she is overstaying.....a fine could be imposed....however aren't the other penalties more damaging....

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
and there was me thinking I was hard done to when overstayed visa in Colombia due to cancelled flights!:swear2:
USD20 inadvertently left on the Passport desk seemed to grant immunity!:whistle2:
Oooer. Best to avoid written confessions on social media, even in jest ... :whistle2:

[Making a facilitation payment to an overseas official is now a criminal offence under UK law. Probably doesn't matter that it took place outside the jurisdiction; hopefully this inadvertent event took place in the dim distant past before the change in the law.]

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Excuse me, but I said nothing about Switzerland. I only commented on USA.

The comment about Switzerland came from JJ.

Will you please ask Jim to delete your reference to me.

Geoff
Apologies@nicholsong-I clearly misread your post as relating to Switzerland. I’ll ask Jim to remove my reference to you.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Switzerland can be flexible. I used to live in Geneva. One day I flew to London for a business meeting. Just waved through passport control at Geneva.

At Heathrow passport control I handed over my passport. The guy looked at the picture and said “This isn’t you”. It was my son’s passport!
He said “I’ll let you into the UK but you may have problems getting back into Switzerland”.

Sure enough, on my return the Swiss passports folk were not amused. I said my passport was probably in my car in the multi-storey car park and they could accompany me to check. Too much bother, so they let me through :)

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Having once seen a group of people on custom motorcycles stopped at the Swiss border while every tiny modification was checked... (and we on our bog standard bikes sailed through) ... I wouldn't have taken a chance on it.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Agree but I only know what I was told and no idea of his reasoning (or lack of).

As I understood it he was leaving from Switzerland which of course is part of Schengen although not EU. I asked if he was just banned from Switzerland or from whole of Schengen but my friend didn’t know.
Whether he was banned from Switzerland or from the whole of the Schengen area, being banned will certainly affect any international travel he may do at any point in the future, since many countries require you to state whether you've ever been banned or refused entry to any country - and the questioner knows the answer, so they know if you're lying. At the least, this can result in lengthy delays at border entry points.

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
You are confusing EU with Schengen. 90 days in 180 in a Schengen country. This means doing the Schengen shuffle. Austria 90 Croatia 90 back to Hungary 90 then Romania, Serbia, Bosnia 90,then Greece 90 then Turkey 90 and so on.
It’s not 90 days in 180 in different countries. It’s 90 days in a rolling 180 days in the Schengen area.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Should have left and coughed and spluttered over them all. Sorry, can't use my common sense as I have rules that must be followed.

Can't make it up 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Has swiss always had a 'stay only for 90 days' regulation

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
So, is this 90 day rule applied to this country (UK) too. Are all Europeans who entered this country after Brexit day subjected to the same laws? I do hope so! I bet not though.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So, is this 90 day rule applied to this country (UK) too. Are all Europeans who entered this country after Brexit day subjected to the same laws? I do hope so! I bet not though.
180 in the Uk as they were too lazy to insist on EU residency rules.& now they are stuck with it.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
The difference is they can do it all in one go here in the UK...ie they are still limited to 180 days in a year but they are not restricted to 90 days at a time.... i have read that the UK government did this so as to make it easier to recruit seasonal fruit pickers..

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I would consider a ban by Switzerland as a grand badge of honour...

Horrid country... hate the place.

JJ :cool:
I love Switzerland, worked there hundreds of times, they are simply straight talking and efficient, whats not to like with people who are 100% straight and beautiful countryside?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back