Here’s the new official French guidelines blind spot stickers (2 Viewers)

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
I've ordered some too, just in case. Reading a few trucking forums it seems like their interpretation of the law is that the stickers are only required in urban areas. I assume that's the twenty four (I think) urban areas in France. Anyone confirm or otherwise?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Nudge, Nudge, I'm waiting for my mate tonka to tell me when my/his order has arrived.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I've ordered some too, just in case. Reading a few trucking forums it seems like their interpretation of the law is that the stickers are only required in urban areas. I assume that's the twenty four (I think) urban areas in France. Anyone confirm or otherwise?
I just assumed that they were not needed on motorways and out of town, but as soon as in urban,town,areas where cyclists would be more likely then stickers required.
So a quick motorway blast from eurotunel to belgium by motorway would not require them.
Not seen the written word to confirm the above, just from various bits i have read.
My view if not on french motorway then unfortunately required

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
My stickers arrived today. Now stuck in a drawer waiting for some definitive info about their use!

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I cant see anybody under 3.5t wanting to put stickers on that are only required for over 3.5t. The stickers will be a clear reference to any Peage attendant that the vehicle is class 3
Good Point.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I just assumed that they were not needed on motorways and out of town, but as soon as in urban,town,areas where cyclists would be more likely then stickers required.
So a quick motorway blast from eurotunel to belgium by motorway would not require them.
Not seen the written word to confirm the above, just from various bits i have read.
My view if not on french motorway then unfortunately required

The French regulation appears to make no reference to urban areas, it says anything rated over 3500kgs must have them on French roads. The exceptions relate to forestry vehicles and motorway service vehicles. They must be placed no further than 1m from the front of a vehicle on both sides (not on the vehicle glass) and between 0.9m and 1.5 m from the ground. The rear one on the rear offside (i.e. the French kerb side). There are several minor variations where the required locations are not possible due to the vehicle structure (typically the glass door panels on trucks and coaches)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I didn't like leaving GB stickers on the top box on the bike so I carefully removed about 1/4" (6mm) from the outer edge of the backing paper revealing the adhesive part. This was sufficient to hold the sticker in place but made it easy to remove when I got back home.
Now that's a good idea, Thanks. I think magnetic version for front doors C Class (Ducato cab) unfortunately looks like it's got to be the adhesive version on the rear end as it's alloy and plastic.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
My van is 4.5 ton but the exact van can be had in 3.5t on the light chassis.
The physical size of the vehicle is exactly the same.
Doesn’t make an awful lot of sense to me.
Don’t think I shall be bothering with the awful stickers.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Will be fun if it becomes EU wide and all member countries decide to issue their version in their language and not in French, of course we could P**s Macron off by insisting that English worded ones must be shown whilst in UK

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I will check but this was only supposed to apply to French Goods Vehicles when I saw this in December

Hmmmm
AWKWARD the wording has been changed it does appear they expect all vehicles over 3.5T to carry French worded stickers one either side

which I wonder where the heck on a motorhome with cycles on a rear carrier can put them so they are visible as per regulations -I know I can't on mine - though I don't now I have 2 rear cameras have a blind spot that I am aware of - - but all it will take is one bolshie Gendarme to decide that I DO have a blind spot to get a ticket
If you look at the video on the website that lists the regulations, it makes clear that it refers to areas at either side of your vehicle that are outside the view of your mirrors. I thought I would be exempt because I can see the full length of my van using my side mirrors, but only the area close to it. So I'm not.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
The French regulation appears to make no reference to urban areas, it says anything rated over 3500kgs must have them on French roads. The exceptions relate to forestry vehicles and motorway service vehicles. They must be placed no further than 1m from the front of a vehicle on both sides (not on the vehicle glass) and between 0.9m and 1.5 m from the ground. The rear one on the rear offside (i.e. the French kerb side). There are several minor variations where the required locations are not possible due to the vehicle structure (typically the glass door panels on trucks and coaches)
That means you could put the side ones on the doors which are metal (on most motorhomes) and use the magnetic ones.

Oct 12, 2019
65290 Juillan, France
Funster No
MH
Challenger Genesis33
I live in France, and i only noticed these stickers on trucks about a month ago, ive see one campervan with the stickers, said camper van had loads of stickers though, loads of flags etc...
I cycle lots too, and didnt notice them!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back