LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I bought a Heos water filler cap for our previous van, which was a Chausson, and was very pleased with it. I used it for the first time tonight on our new van, an Auto-Sleeper Broadway, and it has stuck in the filler inlet. It was a little bit stiff when I replaced the usual filler cap with the Heos, but not unduly so, and I did not anticipate any problems when removing it. However, it appears to be completely stuck. It is very stiff and I can barely rotate it and certainly it shows no sign of coming out. I am thinking that I need to remove the filler inlet by undoing the three screws which you can clearly see in the photograph below and then hope that the answer may become obvious. Do you think this is the right way to go, or should I try another method?

IMG_0726.JPG

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I personally would try to get some pliers or grips on it first. There will be a seal behind the inlet that you might damage.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If worst come to the worst a pair of mole grips and some steady (careful) persuasion should get it off. You can then look at it at a later date to see why and fix?

That is what I would do anyway..

My guess would be that the outer diameter of the heos is just a little too small and some judicious sanding should make it usable. I had a very similar issue with my LPG filler that I fitted.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When you get it free try to find out where it became stuck and perhaps rub it down a little and a smear of silicon grease might help in the future.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Had the same problem, initially, with a replacement water filler cap. Got adjustable grips on it and it removed OK. Coated the inner contact surface with silicone grease and now much easier to remove.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You will need to push it in as hard as you can and then turn it so it goes over the lugs...
Exactly what I was about to say ... great minds and all that! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had to get a replacement cap in Germany after it was a job to unlock. :whistle: Well it looked exactly the same as the old one :eek: but when I put it in it locked and unlocked but would not come out. :LOL:
It was a case of brute force and pulled the lock out the old one, and took the new one back for a refund. (y) Bob.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
at least you can still refill the tank (y)(y)

edit - while trying to be witty I have just had a thought, there are 2 different styles of these, one where you have an overflow from the tank and the other that vents back through the cap, have you maybe tried to fit the wrong one?

not even sure they are a different fitting, just trying to help :)(y)

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks @DavidG58 : I wondered about that, when it was too late of course. I have an overflow tank but not sure which internal fittings to use for the water filler as I don't have the instructions any more!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks @DavidG58 : I wondered about that, when it was too late of course. I have an overflow tank but not sure which internal fittings to use for the water filler as I don't have the instructions any more!
hymerheos.jpg

waterconnector_-universeel_93578_7.jpg

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks @Minxy Girl : that's very helpful and ressures me that the cap is the correct one and has the right fittings inside. I shall progress my efforts to remove when I get back from London.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
It's out! Tried a bit of pushing, a bit of pulling and a bit of wriggling about and eventually it worked free. It was very hot in London this morning, so don't know if that may have helped a bit. Thanks all for your suggestions : I will follow the ones for lubricating it so that it doesn't happen again.

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Had caravans for 27 years. Motorhomers now for 3 years
Been reading forums about these filler caps that you supposedly unlock by turning the cap anti-clockwise with the key in until it spins and then pushing in the cap and turning it anti-clockwise with the key out. .. What do you do next when this does not work. This is on a vw camper king conversion which my son bought 2 weeks ago. How do you get it out!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Is it worth trying a bit of pushing, a bit of pulling and a bit of wriggling about in the hope that eventually it works free? Of course, my Heos doesn't have a lock so different pull, push and wriggle techniques may be required. It may help if performed on a hot day and ideally in London. No guarantees but it worked for me. Best of luck.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'm a bit confused, I know not difficult :) but where is the lock on these.

I thought they were just for filling then you removed it :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think we are at cross purposes here, the original thread was about the Heos water filler (ie filling up) cap, not the usual locking 'dust' which Chris664 is talking about.

For @Chris664 - as well as turning the key have you tried pushing the cap in hard whilst turning it both right and left, they can be quite stiff and stick a bit so this should hopefully ease it, you could also try doing it on a cooler day as the seal won't 'grip' so much.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Broke my cap off - replaced it with a top off an aerosol can - 'temporary' fix

......it's still on !

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Someone said hot water.? Any alternatives to silicone grease. Haven't got any. What about clean cooking oil. Would that work?

Last edited:

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
To minxy girl. Tried wiggling it afraid if we push too hard we will dint the metal as this is a conversion. Will try again tonight. Thank for all the replies. Really do appreciate the Info and help you get on this site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back