Help with the first motorhome (1 Viewer)

Shedmann

Free Member
Nov 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking for help
Exp
Hi! My mum recently found interest in getting a motorhome, but we never had any experience with one. I have a good understanding of cars but have no clue what to look for so she can get her money's worth. I really dont want her to get scammed but im not in UK and all i can do is give her tips and directions so any help is much appreciated. The motorhome in question is a '93 Peugeot Chausson with a 2.5L diesel, manual transmission and 90k miles on the clock. Are there any rust spots to look out for, any expected engine problems that show up around that mileage, this sort of things are what i'd like to know. The photos show it to be in pretty good shape, but she's going to see it in person in 4 days. Thank you very much in advance.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

Damp is your greatest enemy (IMHO!) - how does it ‘smell’ when you go in...? What do the sides/ceiling/floor look and feel like.....? Is there a good service record? I have no experience of the model, but I’m sure others who have will be along shortly!
Good luck! ;)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
I also found it very useful to check the mot history on the dvsa site. Also depending on where the van would mainly be used ie UK or Europe, as in right hand drive for UK or Left hand drive for Europe. I Hope your mother finds what she is looking for. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
To be honest, as you're talking about a 27 year old vehicle, she should take someone with her who has a descent knowledge of motorhomes or get the vehicle inspected by professionals

Just my ten pence worth....

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
90k seems an awful lot of miles even for a 93, im assuming its damn cheap ?

tbo, the engine is the least of your concerns as there just so many things that can go wrong on a MH, engine and rust isnt usually a problem on motorhomes, but damp can destroy a van, if you think of a motorhome as a portacabin on a flatbed and you will get the idea, if you tell us where is it maybe someone here who lives local to it will go and take a look with your mom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
90k seems an awful lot of miles even for a 93, im assuming its damn cheap ?

tbo, the engine is the least of your concerns as there just so many things that can go wrong on a MH, engine and rust isnt usually a problem on motorhomes, but damp can destroy a van, if you think of a motorhome as a portacabin on a flatbed and you will get the idea, if you tell us where is it maybe someone here who lives local to it will go and take a look with your mom.
90K is only just over 3000miles a year so that's not a particularly high mileage.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I make that around 3,300.33333333333333....ish miles per year below avg for a 2.5 commercial based van /truck I think
The '98 I've just sold (same base vehicle) @81000 was low miles
Just saying .:giggle:
Rust : check the front cross member it Carries the radiator and prone to rust .
Front chassis member level with front arches also a favorite spot .
If it has a good service record I've had these engines with 500,000 on them body was toast but mechanics spot on for the miles.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have just bought a van on a similar chassis ----1991 it has 90.000km on it (we believe it to be correct!!)
We are more concerned about the Kms being very low!!!
I believe your two biggest issues to look for are RUST on chassis and water ingress into the camper body---- both are deal breakers in my opinion!!!!! Potentially VERY difficult and expensive to fix!!!!
90k is not even middle of the road mileage imho ---- "white vans" of this type regularly do 50k miles a year!!!!!
Everything else is relatively easy to repair. But we have seen a few vans with the body falling apart!!!!! Normally caused by water ingress into body----- don't ask me how I know!!!!😥
As far as we know our " new" motorhome was registered new in and has never been out of Portugal!!! So the underside is really like new!!!!

Upvote 0

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Make sure the engine is cold when you start it up and look for lots of smoke its a sign of valve stem oil seals are kput. also under the windscreen is prone to rust

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
ok, before i get roasted anymore -:LOL: im not sayin the engine is high mileage, only by COMPARISON.. many motorhomes dont do 5k a year on average, our last bolero had done 10k in 7 years when we bought it, and our latest 3 year old had done 1500 miles when we bought it.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As long as its serviced properly mileage isn't a problem.
These engines are good for ¼ million miles and more.
Those with a greater mileage are the ones being used as opposed to those parked on a drive for most of the year.
Your biggest problem is going to be availability of vehicle spares. .. Headlamps etc are about impossible to source.

Upvote 0

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Make sure it goes into 5th gear as the linkage sometimes wears. I like titanfall aswell (y) (y) (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Take someone to look underneath for corrosion around cross members and suspension. Does it have rear springs or tortion bar suspension? Tortion bars need annual greasing or cost £2500 for a refit. Usual questions as above - how does it smell inside? any disolouration of walls? And does everything work? At that age not unusual to have to budget for a new water heater, space heater and service of fridge (assuming it is a 3-way).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shedmann

Shedmann

Free Member
Nov 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking for help
Exp
Oh wow, didn't think i'll get that much help, thank you all very much!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
If you pay your sub you get access to my the resource section including Jim's what to look for when buying a motor home

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back