Help with mains electrics please... (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
hymer b544 2012, plugged in on mains from the house and all’s good when sharp puts kettle on when a fan heater is on and blows something..? Mains still works coming into the van and and everything works, charging batts etc... except mains plugs.... all plugs work if the inverter is turned on..? Checked all breakers and all good so a fuse has obviously gone somewhere but where.... any ideas..?

Thanks for the incoming....:xThumb:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Normally I would say 13a ring in your van on a separate trip on your main RCD box but you've checked that ,can't see it being on a separate circuit ,but I sit to be corrected .
Hope you sort it

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I dont think you will have a fuse as such on the mains side it will be a trip of some sort.

We had a similar issue which turned out to be the small plug and socket that one of the socket circuits was running from, this was housed inside the CBE box with the RCD and circuit breakers in.

It turned out that some "pillock" had changed the wiring when fitting the inverter and they had put male pins into the plug and the socket so they didn't mate too well.

I found this because the plug/socket had gone brown.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
RCD box, breakers didn’t trip so something has gone elsewhere.....(n)

But they all work when the inverter is on, all the other mains stuff is working ie, charging the batts....(n) and my control board indicates that the electric is on..?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Standard Hymer wiring is an RCD feeding a 10 Amp MCB, I assume you have had an inverter fitted with a change over relay. Sounds like the relay has failed. I have a similar setup in my van this is how mine is wired:-
upload_2017-12-24_11-36-41.png

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Standard Hymer wiring is an RCD feeding a 10 Amp MCB, I assume you have had an inverter fitted with a change over relay. Sounds like the relay has failed. I have a similar setup in my van this is how mine is wired:-
View attachment 203559

And where am I likely to find that Lenny, I believe @eddievanbitz fiited it, it’s a 1500 Waco? Inverter does it mean I’ll have to buy a new relay...?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Does your control panel have an input current (Amps) limiter that's set too low? Ours isn't a Hymer but it has that feature. Could be something else of course, but no harm checking.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
And where am I likely to find that Lenny, I believe @eddievanbitz fiited it, it’s a 1500 Waco? Inverter does it mean I’ll have to buy a new relay...?
Sorry not got a clue could be anywhere. The fault sounds a bit odd as I wouldn't expect a duff kettle to cause the relay to fail.
Have you looked at your incoming consumer unit to see if it has 2 MCB's one feeding fridge & the charger and another one feeding the sockets, it's not the normal way Hymer do it but Eddie could have added another breaker to make wiring a changerover relay easier. The fan heater & kettle will overload a 10 amp MCB.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve had a look everywhere that I know where some wiring is (except I’ve never ever found where my victorn controller is?) and I can’t see anything wrong....

we are pluged into the mains on a relatives drive, the inverter was not on, we had a small fan heater on and the kettle was turned on and it obviously blew something as the heater stopped working and the kettle, everything else works on the mains as it should and the inverter operates the mains plugs as usual.

It’s just the mains plug that doesn’t work, it never tripped the RCD, I’ve tested it by pushing the test button in and it works as it should.... I’m now stumped ....(n)

1CE9AD86-D179-4CF0-BC7B-DF90B086AE36.jpeg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have you checked the wiring connections for the 240v loop? it sounds like a wire come loose somewhere on the back of the RCDs

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yep, thatsthe standard arragement, If you had a 2kw kettle and a 2kw fire I would have expected the 10 MCB to trip.
I take it you have auto switch over similar to what I have done for the sockets and the sockets are connected to the inverter and switch over when you plug the mains in. Somewhere the circuit will have been split to wire this function in. All you can do is have all the floor hatches up and follow the wiring. Could be something simple like one of the wago connectors coming unplugged.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You haven't tripped the relatives supply have you and then your Victron kicked in to make up the loss.

Martin

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sorted it.... by absolute chance and luck.....

I took the inverter out to have a look around the batteries but I’ve been around there before and already knew there was nothing but last place to look, I unscrewed the inverter from its mounting and as lifting it out I felt my finger push something, I had a look and it said fuse but no way of unscrewing it and realised it must be be a push in reset.... tried the plugs and it works...! Yay...:xThumb:

Thanks everyone for your quick responses as usual :notworthy2:

3E85FE96-0530-4697-BACB-08FF39534D17.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are you trying to confuse us? You said you had a Waco Inverter, Martin says its a Victron and it looks like a Victron to me.
Now if you had told the truth:xsmile: we could have sorted it out ages ago as the Victron has a bypass for the fridge & charger no separate relay needed. :)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Are you trying to confuse us? You said you had a Waco Inverter, Martin says its a Victron and it looks like a Victron to me.
Now if you had told the truth:xsmile: we could have sorted it out ages ago as the Victron has a bypass for the fridge & charger no separate relay needed. :)

I said I had a waeco inverter and have never seen my victron solar controllers I assume they are behind some panelling as I have 300watts up top, but I do have one of those little victron monitor thingys.... :D2

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Sorry I said Victron for no reason other than he mentioned Eddie VB:xrofl: 2x2=5

I believe it is Waeco as its darker blue.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I thought it was this one,

shopping.jpg

But now I think its just the packaging thats blue.

2x2=?

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back