Help with Inverter cables (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Hi all,
Picked up an inverter, now the cables supplied clamp onto battery, I want to wire direct to the leisure battery (Have spare point on the battery clamp) with a fuse and possibly a switch.

Now the cables supplied are only 500mm long and the location I want the inverter is approx 3m from the battery, can any gurus on here calculate the size of cable I need? I also saw a post on here (cant find it now!!) where the cables where split with a connector, as it would be good to have plugged in when I need it and not all the time?? I am thinking 25mm cables but just need to check with you all on here

This is only going to be used occasionally for a 1000w hair dry and possibly an iron when we are on longer trips, have tested directed on my car battery and all works well.

I have pasted below the techie bits from the manual:

Peak power: 5000W
Rated power: 2000W
Digital display: input / output voltage
Input voltage: DC 12V
Output voltage: AC 220V
No-load current: < 0.9A

Thanks all in advance

Have had a good read of DBK thread https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fitting-a-1500w-inverter.156023/

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This is only my opinion but I would put the inverter as close to the batteries as you can and then run a cable for your socket to wherever you need it. That way you will not be needing to heavy Gauge cables to the inverter.šŸ˜Š

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At 3mtrs from battery to inverter you're going to need very, very heavy cables..... 50mm2 maybe, which probably won't fit the inverter terminals, depending on the inverter output. .
Keep the inverter near the battery and extend the output to where its needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
The inverter is a cheapie, as want to test use etc before splashing out so has three plugs and 4 usb's built into the case, would an standard extension lead work if I keep invert close to battery?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back